Page 305 of 955 FirstFirst ... 205255295301302303304305306307308309315355405805 ... LastLast
Results 4,561 to 4,575 of 14314
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Exactatiously. PFiction.

How old were Liss and Coates? How old is Thorne? Regardless of age...we are only guaranteed the types of stories based on the writer's intent and experience.

Age aside...look at it from the perspective of how we as kids chose Michael Jackson, Prince and Madonna over The BeeGees, Abba, and Earth Wind and Fire...how today's kids are more interested in Cardi B, Megan thee Stallion and Billie Eillish over Missy Elliot, Mary J. Blige, and Christina Aguilera.
    Ten-Fifteen years from now Cardi B will be "classic". That's just the nature of entertainment. And Comics are no different.

It's nice to want to hold on to the Priest Classic because it worked and still works for Us (young fogies) but the younglings might have different interests and expectations.

Going back to the music allegory...Dua Lipa and Doja Cat's music are infused with Disco/Pop/Rock melodies but are still undeniably youthful and modern (and my 50-year old ass love then both) So yes...Perhaps the answer lies with a fusion of both the Classic and the New (not One or the Other) with Black Panther benefitting from a writer (regardless of age) who can intelligently and creatively meld and integrate the past and the present for ALL to enjoy.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 05-22-2022 at 11:05 AM.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    That is the issue right there. They have not READ anything except the mess Coates has tossed.

So now we got folks who don't want Redjack near Black Panther (or John Stewart or Vixen) and loving this deconstruction of Black Panther while the females of Wakanda get propped up at his expense.

Which is funny since he's treated all three with way more RESPECT than others. Especially Vixen.
    At this rate I hope this arc just ends with T’Challa chucking the deuces to Wakanda and going on to properly rule the IGEW and relieve space M’Baku of duty. Oh and hopefully end up with an inhuman boo since MOM has got me thinking that Feige might finally give them a second chance.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    What exactly is the issue with him being the big bad? He's been a BP villain for a long time now.
    That's EXACTLY the issue. He's been DONE. Over and over and over...

There's simply nothing new to say about him. Erik, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Exactatiously. PFiction.

How old were Liss and Coates? How old is Thorne? Regardless of age...we are only guaranteed the types of stories based on the writer's intent and experience.

Age aside...look at it from the perspective of how we as kids chose Michael Jackson, Prince and Madonna over The BeeGees, Abba, and Earth Wind and Fire...how today's kids are more interested in Cardi B, Megan thee Stallion and Billie Eillish over Missy Elliot, Mary J. Blige, and Christina Aguilera.
    Ten-Fifteen years from now Cardi B will be "classic". That's just the nature of entertainment. And Comics are no different.

It's nice to want to hold on to the Priest Classic because it worked and still works for Us (young fogies) but the younglings might have different interests and expectations.

Going back to the music allegory...Dua Lipa and Doja Cat's music are infused with Disco/Pop/Rock melodies but are still undeniably youthful and modern (and my 50-year old ass love then both) So yes...Perhaps the answer lies with a fusion of both the Classic and the New (not One or the Other) with Black Panther benefitting from a writer (regardless of age) who can intelligently and creatively meld and integrate the past and the present for ALL to enjoy.
    Redjacks KiB was able to fully encapsulate T'Challa and showcase him as Priest and Hudlins version while being completely unique in his own style. That's what I want. Don't COPY Priest, but use his version as the blueprint and build off that.

That is the issue right there. They have not READ anything except the mess Coates has tossed.

So now we got folks who don't want Redjack near Black Panther (or John Stewart or Vixen) and loving this deconstruction of Black Panther while the females of Wakanda get propped up at his expense.

Which is funny since he's treated all three with way more RESPECT than others. Especially Vixen.
    This, the new generation is being introduced to Coates era of garbage and that's the first exposure or the movie Which portrays him as Black Cap. When we need more Redjacks on BP

And that's on them. But...
    As a fan of Claremont's X-Men in 1984 I wasn't beholden to read and care about Lee and Kirby's initial run.
    As a fan of Hudlin's BP run I'm not beholden to read and care about Priest's run.
    As a new reader you make that individual choice to "go back into the archives" and you still may not get the appeal because you operate in the here and now of your immediate world. As Classic as Priest's BP is...I wouldn't expect a 12 year old in 2022 to "get it" or even appreciate it...at least I won't bet my house on it.

I can't speak to why there's that distrust for Thorne's work.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyo1000 View Post
    Redjacks KiB was able to fully encapsulate T'Challa and showcase him as Priest and Hudlins version while being completely unique in his own style. That's what I want. Don't COPY Priest, but use his version as the blueprint and build off that.
    I agree, 100.

And that's on Marvel for not having faith in his story pitch, and experience and deciding (yet again) to go with a more "reputable" and experienced writer.

Astonishing Member Klaue's Mixtape's Avatar

Hmm. No "BP" on the hoodie.
    The hats are about Namor/Atlantis. Looks like a Jaguar.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    At this rate I hope this arc just ends with T’Challa chucking the deuces to Wakanda and going on to properly rule the IGEW and relieve space M’Baku of duty. Oh and hopefully end up with an inhuman boo since MOM has got me thinking that Feige might finally give them a second chance.

I agree. Let him rule the IGEW and give him a new boo, lol. Let TChalla take on a few new threats he’s never faced before.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    I used to advocate for more Wakanda set stories but after these last six years Wakanda has been nothing but a hindrance. Let T'Challa rule the empire, he's still emperor and give us the proper space story that Hickman setup.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pulp Fiction View Post
    Old, young, it doesn’t matter. Just tell cool stories
    Yea this is a Marvel editorial issue, not a demographics thing. We’re not getting the likes of Coates, Gay, and Ayala because kids aren’t resonating with Priest and Hudlin’s work. They managed to appeal to far younger audiences years ago and the stories they created continue to influence every form of BP media long after they’ve left the book.

Outside the sometimes wonky pacing of Priest, neither of them do anything radical when it came to their storytelling styles, they just told good stories that both challenged and elevated the title hero with great plots and heart. The new writers tried to do that in their own way but based off sales and some of the divided fan opinion, folks weren’t really liking how they went about it (regardless of age, as I bet very few 12 year old BP fans were eagerly reading the Coates era).

No one needs to tell stories exactly like Priest would’ve but in a medium like comics it never hurts to have a baseline understanding and willingness to pull from the stuff that came before. Nearly every great comic in some way pulls from previous stories and themes. There’s no reason to think that incorporating some of Priest’s “West Wing” style superhero politics or Hudlin’s humor would hurt sales or fail to entice newer fans. Coates himself said he tried to channel Hickman in his T’Challa and while I think most would agree he utterly failed, there’s no harm in going back into the archives to see what works but at the same time adding your own elements to make something unique.

See new Tweets
    Conversation
    Marvel Crave
    @MarvelCrave
    Letitia Wright teases ‘BLACK PANTHER: WAKANDA FOREVER’ saying the film will be ‘an incredible honor’ for Chadwick Boseman and that the film is jam-packed

.https://twitter.com/MarvelCrave/stat...76139752235011

sigh

Quote Originally Posted by Klaue's Mixtape View Post
    See new Tweets
    Conversation
    Marvel Crave
    @MarvelCrave
    Letitia Wright teases ‘BLACK PANTHER: WAKANDA FOREVER’ saying the film will be ‘an incredible honor’ for Chadwick Boseman and that the film is jam-packed

.https://twitter.com/MarvelCrave/stat...76139752235011

sigh
    Nothing new

Quote Originally Posted by KingNomarch View Post
    Nothing new

Just hate they are still leading it with "honoring Boseman"

Got damn do they have to keep reminding us that they are killing him. Winston Duke said the movie is about dealing with the gap of T'Challa being gone. Just wild.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    What exactly is the issue with him being the big bad? He's been a BP villain for a long time now.
    There have been diminishing returns on Klaw’s use as a villain since his first appearance. There have been fine reinventions across various stories and mediums but Klaw hasn’t been a compelling threat to T’Challa in a non-origin related comic in the main MU in years. I’m always one for reinventing and building off stuff that came before, but like Ezyo’s suggesting, the potential of Klaw as an Avengers-level threat has the real possibility of being another lame showing based off prior appearances. And Ridley hasn’t exactly done a great job conveying threat level and competence in his first arc, it’s perfectly fine to question his ability to make a villain “worthy” of the Avengers. Which is to say nothing of the generally meh character work.

If Klaw’s the villain then it’s uninspired because it wasn’t that long ago that we saw him. Since T’Challa fought him over reverbium or whatever halfway the Coates run, readers have only really seen T’Challa fight Adversary and the Intergalactic Empire of Wakanda, which was led by another major Black Panther villain in Killmonger. To do another intergalactic story repurposing a classic BP rogue after fans spent 25 issues and like 3 years with that same story is definitely a bit boring at this point. Hell part of the novelty of this run was “grounding” T’Challa back to earth after an entire vol largely spent on cosmic stuff, heading back to space less than 12 issues into this new run is lame to me, but given Ridley’s mediocre espionage direction maybe this is the shot in the arm his book needs.