Page 655 of 955 FirstFirst ... 155555605645651652653654655656657658659665705755 ... LastLast
Results 9,811 to 9,825 of 14314
    Spectacular Member talentedbutnot's Avatar

Does anyone know if a Blu-ray/4K release of the fifth season of Marvel Avengers Assemble will happen or not? The season Redjack wrote? It's been on Amazon Prime for a little while now.
    Last edited by talentedbutnot; 10-06-2022 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blanks View Post
    I’m hoping this run ends by issue 10 or 12. Let them get their fill for a trade, and just END this run. Relaunch next year with a new issue 1 and new writer. Surely from fan dissent, they would make sone changes?

Ahhh, who the #%ck am I kidding?
    There is q cover for 13 already
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Fantastic Member

Whatever issues people might have with Ridley's take on BP (and I have quite a few) he was qualified to write this comic. He's an award-winning screen writer, but also a novelist and comic book writer, so he had fiction writing experience coming into writing BP and was more acclaimed than most of the other writers who have written BP's adventures definitely when it comes to the mainstream. I really liked the first volume of Ridley's American Way. I read the second volume piecemeal and didn't enjoy it as much, but that might change if I read it together. Further, his Those Who Walk in Darkness/What Fire Cannot Burn novel duology had a gritty X-Men feel to it, though it also had his penchant for writing protagonists who aren't the most welcoming. There was like an animated adaptation of the first book, which I never saw, but back in the day I recall hearing that the series was being looked at for a television adaptation and I imagine it if done well it could've been ahead of its time (it reminded me of Project Power, Code 8, Heroes Reborn) and how it combined superpowers and the police procedural, it predated Gotham. Not sure if it predated Bendis's Powers comic, but it did predate the Powers television series. As much as I've been disappointed in his BP run, his I Am Batman series is decent and I don't feel bad about supporting that book.

I'm not sure what went wrong or "wrong" when it comes to Ridley and Panther. My guess is that he doesn't have a good feel for T'Challa, or an interest. I can't speak to his work on The Authority, but with American Way and for the most part I Am Batman, he's basically writing a lot of characters he created, or are established characters that aren't that well developed so he has leeway in a way that he doesn't with BP. I also put this on Marvel. They hired him and they have approved of his decisions. I think that's because they wanted T'Challa cut down to size and pushed to the side before Wakanda Forever came out to better set up whatever the new status quo will be established in that film. And this also went along with Ridley's love of writing very conflicted or flawed protagonists, and Marvel gave him the keys and fifth of Bourbon and let him go into overdrive.

I wonder if Ridley had been writing Falcon Captain America, Luke Cage, War Machine, or Nighthawk, maybe Blade or even Blue Marvel, if he might not have done a better job because those characters feel more in his wheelhouse.
    Last edited by Emperorjones; 10-06-2022 at 01:52 PM.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

I'm amused because a couple days ago I was watching some Metal Gear videos and hade some amusing thoughts thinking T'Challa facing an antagonist who was some crazy cowboy mofo whose revolvers could penetrate his vibranium suit

Buffalo Soldier is a Hell of a coincidence

That resume shouldn't get you black panther tho. Thats the fundamental problem.

That resume wouldnt even get you scarlet spider lol

Until they treat BP like would treat a b list white character, his runs are always gonna be uneven as hell.

Right now the criteria is "name in black nerd community"
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I know his DC work like Next Batman, but it's kinda wild how the big two are hiring people to write comics with little to no experience - especially A-list tentpole characters.
    The reason you see that is BOTH companies are looking beyond the comic book store crowd.
    They want folks the public knows.

Now many will say these guys are not bringing in readers to the comic book store. TRUE.

This is all about getting some names normal folks KNOW.

Hand this book over to say Jason Reynolds or Justin Reynolds (no relation) or Nic Stone-trades sales won't be an issue. See Moon Girl-folks KNEW about her writer because of other books.
    Look at Beast Boy and Raven series-if NOT for them and the other OGNs-DC wouldn't exist in Amazon's top 100 children/teen books.

So as a result DC and Marvel are trying to get the best of both worlds.

Problem is you got a bad Black Panther book that is alienating hardcore fans.

Yet you got trades getting the orders that Priest could NOT get during his run.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    I'm amused because a couple days ago I was watching some Metal Gear videos and hade some amusing thoughts thinking T'Challa facing an antagonist who was some crazy cowboy mofo whose revolvers could penetrate his vibranium suit

Buffalo Soldier is a Hell of a coincidence
    Another of my favourite ips that got crapped on. I actually have Ocelot tattooed on my arm in Shinkawa's art style.

Quote Originally Posted by KingNomarch View Post

Wow that... Pretty shitty of Ridley to chump T'Challa on some no name **** OC villain

Like, who CAN T'Challa actually beat? Like Ridley writes him like he is a street level hero. And a shitty one too. Ridley needs to GTFO the book

Quote Originally Posted by Klaue's Mixtape View Post
    Coates just gets better and better. Thanks Ridley.
    Always good to for you to pop in with so e levity here and there Klaue. Needed a good chuckle

Has T'Challa ever demanded anyone bow before him?

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    The reason you see that is BOTH companies are looking beyond the comic book store crowd.
    They want folks the public knows.

Now many will say these guys are not bringing in readers to the comic book store. TRUE.

This is all about getting some names normal folks KNOW.

Hand this book over to say Jason Reynolds or Justin Reynolds (no relation) or Nic Stone-trades sales won't be an issue. See Moon Girl-folks KNEW about her writer because of other books.
    Look at Beast Boy and Raven series-if NOT for them and the other OGNs-DC wouldn't exist in Amazon's top 100 children/teen books.

So as a result DC and Marvel are trying to get the best of both worlds.

Problem is you got a bad Black Panther book that is alienating hardcore fans.

Yet you got trades getting the orders that Priest could NOT get during his run.
    ahh that would explain it, best selling writers from outside the field to sell trades - the thought never crossed my mind but it makes complete sense.

having the writer for an oscar winning film writing Black Panther would draw eyeballs from grandmas and librarians at schools.

great analysis, thanks for the insight.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chesterfield View Post
    Another of my favourite ips that got crapped on. I actually have Ocelot tattooed on my arm in Shinkawa's art style.
    Its a Goddamned shame what Konami did to Kojima and the Metal Gear franchise.

On a funny note that leads to a thought of a Desperado PMC organization of cyborgs coming to Wakanda and wage military campaigns to get them into the war economy. Imagine a Sundowner guy showing up and going "You guys are missing out on war. Nothing's more fun than being an honest warmonger."

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Evan is such a butt kisser though lol. Rise of BP is not even close to the same T'challa as Coates. And his Avengers Game Version isn't either. Dude morphs depending on who he is talking to lol.

BUT ANYWAY

My biggest issue with Ridley is not the fact he isn't trying to "figure out" or "dig deep" into T'challa. I don't even need deep T'challa. I'd gladly at this point take mediocre action comic T'challa, something closer to Hudlin...

The problem is... dude can't write lol. His dialogue is truly horrific. He can't keep track of plot points that are mentioned just one comic prior. Nothing makes F'ing sense.

It fails at depth. It fails at dialogue. It fails on plot. It even fails on getting basic powers scale right.

What little "good" in the book is just the artist trying to save it...
    she does. That BP podcast he was all full of ****. Just saying whatever nonsense was the trend. He's a yesman but for literally any take

Quote Originally Posted by Emperorjones View Post
    Whatever issues people might have with Ridley's take on BP (and I have quite a few) he was qualified to write this comic. He's an award-winning screen writer, but also a novelist and comic book writer, so he had fiction writing experience coming into writing BP and was more acclaimed than most of the other writers who have written BP's adventures definitely when it comes to the mainstream. I really liked the first volume of Ridley's American Way. I read the second volume piecemeal and didn't enjoy it as much, but that might change if I read it together. Further, his Those Who Walk in Darkness/What Fire Cannot Burn novel duology had a gritty X-Men feel to it, though it also had his penchant for writing protagonists who aren't the most welcoming. There was like an animated adaptation of the first book, which I never saw, but back in the day I recall hearing that the series was being looked at for a television adaptation and I imagine it if done well it could've been ahead of its time (it reminded me of Project Power, Code 8, Heroes Reborn) and how it combined superpowers and the police procedural, it predated Gotham. Not sure if it predated Bendis's Powers comic, but it did predate the Powers television series. As much as I've been disappointed in his BP run, his I Am Batman series is decent and I don't feel bad about supporting that book.

I'm not sure what went wrong or "wrong" when it comes to Ridley and Panther. My guess is that he doesn't have a good feel for T'Challa, or an interest. I can't speak to his work on The Authority, but with American Way and for the most part I Am Batman, he's basically writing a lot of characters he created, or are established characters that aren't that well developed so he has leeway in a way that he doesn't with BP. I also put this on Marvel. They hired him and they have approved of his decisions. I think that's because they wanted T'Challa cut down to size and pushed to the side before Wakanda Forever came out to better set up whatever the new status quo will be established in that film. And this also went along with Ridley's love of writing very conflicted or flawed protagonists, and Marvel gave him the keys and fifth of Bourbon and let him go into overdrive.

I wonder if Ridley had been writing Falcon Captain America, Luke Cage, War Machine, or Nighthawk, maybe Blade or even Blue Marvel, if he might not have done a better job because those characters feel more in his wheelhouse.
    The problem is even the OCs he had created in the book are poorly developed and 100% unlikable hypocritical A**holes who somehow avoid blame for their actions and instead pile it on T'Challa. Ridley is like Coates lite. Unqualified to write BP, doesn't get the character, can't tell a good story to save his life, and had very ishtty unlikable OCs that don't get call out for their bullisht.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekie View Post
    Has T'Challa ever demanded anyone bow before him?
    I tried to look for such moments where he would utter those words in the past, but to no avail. Once in a while, he will demand respect or assert his authority though.