Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526 LastLast

Sorry to all the other writers in advance i am done no more comics until at least after thanksgiving because they can't and won't hold up. This is a team doing their thing both on page and behind. From the lettering and take note the bolding of certain words that gave you a clear voice of the characters to the green text caption for loki where when it's parts came up i almost heard loki singing rhyme in my head this is comics at it's finest. The art, the storyline, all on point, the quotes at the beginning i felt in my soul. "what kind of mother would i be..." this is an all mother. "we're a universe." every molecule of us connects to create the universe as we know it to exist even if only from our own perspective. Just... 15 out of 10. Not everything has to change the fabric of everything a story can just be a story and this was a damn good one. My fave page.

shateringthefourthwallofexpectations.jpg
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    So, who does this guy look like?

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...-new-story-arc

He's in an Infinity comic with Wasp and Ironheart written by Patrick Zircher. Haven't read it yet, but wouldn't be surprised if he turned out to be related to some we've seen in the Defenders.
    I am late to the party, but oh-so-definitely Nebulon, The Celestial Man!

Nebulon was a very powerful character, but one not treated the way he should have been.

Perhaps this is a member of his race, since Nebulon had long, flowing silvery-locks and sparkling orange-kist skin!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by ComicNoobie View Post
    That would be cool to see a old Defenders foe make a appearance, or someone related to him. I wonder if Paragon is his brother or offspring.
    Ah, just saw your post. I was thinking just a member of the same race, but hmmn, perhaps a relative? ( I preferred Nebbie's long-flowing, silvery locks and sparkling, orange-kist skin, lol!)

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Sorry to all the other writers in advance i am done no more comics until at least after thanksgiving because they can't and won't hold up. This is a team doing their thing both on page and behind. From the lettering and take note the bolding of certain words that gave you a clear voice of the characters to the green text caption for loki where when it's parts came up i almost heard loki singing rhyme in my head this is comics at it's finest. The art, the storyline, all on point, the quotes at the beginning i felt in my soul. "what kind of mother would i be..." this is an all mother. "we're a universe." every molecule of us connects to create the universe as we know it to exist even if only from our own perspective. Just... 15 out of 10. Not everything has to change the fabric of everything a story can just be a story and this was a damn good one. My fave page.

Echoing this--a marvelous story about changing in a medium defined by stasis. The art, of course, is to die for. My heartiest recommendations, fellow Defenders fans!

P.S. Still reading those old Defenders issues, but got majorly distracted by Bayonetta 3. Will report in soon

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post

P.S. Still reading those old Defenders issues, but got majorly distracted by Bayonetta 3. Will report in soon
    I hope you are enjoying them and I am interested in your take.

While waiting and anticipating the release of Defenders Omnibus 2 I had a thought. I wonder what Valkyrie thinks of "Ride of the Valkyries"? Like has anyone in the Marvel universe ever brought it up to her? Has she ever seen the opera? If not then there should be a Defenders reunion centered around taking Brunnhilde to see it. Just imagine her in the stands with Hulk taking up like two seats. These are the questions we should be asking of our heroes!

While waiting and anticipating the release of Defenders Omnibus 2 I had a thought. I wonder what Valkyrie thinks of "Ride of the Valkyries"? Like has anyone in the Marvel universe ever brought it up to her? Has she ever seen the opera? If not then there should be a Defenders reunion centered around taking Brunnhilde to see it. Just imagine her in the stands with Hulk taking up like two seats. These are the questions we should be asking of our heroes!
    Lol, no, I don't think anyone has mentioned this to Val.

I wonder if she would like it? Perhaps when she was still merged with Barabara Norriss she would view it one way, and another when she was Brunhide.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Lol, no, I don't think anyone has mentioned this to Val.

I wonder if she would like it? Perhaps when she was still merged with Barabara Norriss she would view it one way, and another when she was Brunhide.
    It must happen then! Defenders Reunion 2023 featuring the non-team coming back together and gathering every single person who was possessed by Valkyrie's soul or however that works, all going to the opera to Ride of the Valkyries. I want it!

It must happen then! Defenders Reunion 2023 featuring the non-team coming back together and gathering every single person who was possessed by Valkyrie's soul or however that works, all going to the opera to Ride of the Valkyries. I want it!
    Yes, indeed! I like your idea!

Also, I want Val to lean on those Marvel comic writers to bring her back in multiple on-going books.

They need to tweak her powers slightly and to increase her strength levels in the Handbooks to around 90 tons. After all, Val is the leader of the Valkyrior! The 45 tonnage must have been for her Barbara-Val hybrid.

Also, if Val is able to spin Dragonfang fast enough to block bullets and pulverize falling debri, then she must have at least a small measure of super-speed. Most of her costumes have bracelets with which she could also block projectiles and that speed would most likely allow her to run fast too!
    Last edited by Phoenixx9; 11-28-2022 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Yes, indeed! I like your idea!
    Though I'd imagine if they did take her, Valkyrie would be drinking mead throughout the entire opera lol.

Though I'd imagine if they did take her, Valkyrie would be drinking mead throughout the entire opera lol.
    Well, Val's date would be Thor, so yeah a mead-feast is likely!

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post

I liked Beyond more than Ewing's first miniseries. It's more character focused. Sadly Tigra doesn't get much to do.

Hey there, Defenders-heads! Long time coming and finally here: my book report on Steve Gerber's DEFENDERS! Erm, part 1: issues 20-26

These...are some rad comics! Wow! Groovy and fun and...politically charged! Primo 70-ies Marvel fare.

A small story recap: the current Defenders are Strange, Hulk (On and off), OG Nighthawk and Valkyrie. The team tackles a weird cult obsessed with Valkyrie in a team up with a THING, then they deal with a fun cadre of Mad Science types before tackling the Sons of the Serpent in the first long arc (Luke Cage, Son of Satan (my beloved) and Daredevil guest). The last ish is a Guardians of the Galaxy team-up!

To me, Valkyrie's the clear standout character. Her story--possessing the body of a married woman and shunning the husband who's a stranger to her--is certainly unique. She's a literalized "New Woman," empowered and emancipated. A platonic ideal of a feminist woman. Aside from feminism, another allegory that comes up is Divorce--at one point Val is chastised by an Old Lady who posits that she's a gold-digger looking to make a buck off the divorce. The husband chases her mercilessly--really curious what that ends up in.

e9abe9e4-d06a-4249-bd24-a088932a094f.jpg

Gerber avoids making Val too perfect and unrelatable--she grieves over the life of Barbara she can't recall. Also, her pronounced weakness is the inability to harm other women. It's a neat, comic-booky spin on female solidarity: feminism triumphs, unless there is division in the ranks.

bc0d2453-eaf1-4d7d-a4ac-0532f768a114.jpg

Another notable things--notice the way Val's character traits affect Gerber's worldbuilding. The sisterhood of Badoon, introduced in #26-27, is crafted specifically to challenge Val, but has stuck around in Marvel Space as a major power (and like one of three interesting things about the Badoon, lmao)

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    Hey there, Defenders-heads! Long time coming and finally here: my book report on Steve Gerber's DEFENDERS! Erm, part 1: issues 20-26

These...are some rad comics! Wow! Groovy and fun and...politically charged! Primo 70-ies Marvel fare.

A small story recap: the current Defenders are Strange, Hulk (On and off), OG Nighthawk and Valkyrie. The team tackles a weird cult obsessed with Valkyrie in a team up with a THING, then they deal with a fun cadre of Mad Science types before tackling the Sons of the Serpent in the first long arc (Luke Cage, Son of Satan (my beloved) and Daredevil guest). The last ish is a Guardians of the Galaxy team-up!

To me, Valkyrie's the clear standout character. Her story--possessing the body of a married woman and shunning the husband who's a stranger to her--is certainly unique. She's a literalized "New Woman," empowered and emancipated. A platonic ideal of a feminist woman. Aside from feminism, another allegory that comes up is Divorce--at one point Val is chastised by an Old Lady who posits that she's a gold-digger looking to make a buck off the divorce. The husband chases her mercilessly--really curious what that ends up in.

e9abe9e4-d06a-4249-bd24-a088932a094f.jpg

Gerber avoids making Val too perfect and unrelatable--she grieves over the life of Barbara she can't recall. Also, her pronounced weakness is the inability to harm other women. It's a neat, comic-booky spin on female solidarity: feminism triumphs, unless there is division in the ranks.

bc0d2453-eaf1-4d7d-a4ac-0532f768a114.jpg

Another notable things--notice the way Val's character traits affect Gerber's worldbuilding. The sisterhood of Badoon, introduced in #26-27, is crafted specifically to challenge Val, but has stuck around in Marvel Space as a major power (and like one of three interesting things about the Badoon, lmao)
    Hey Alex!

Sounds like you really enjoyed these issues! Indeed, they are some of the best! I liked Val's return to Coobler's Roost, Vermont, climbing down from the hillside and the townspeople she meets. I also liked the Defenders with the Guardians of the Galaxy. To me, each was like an extension of the other.

The artwork is spectacular! Notice how beautiful, chic, '70's Hip and vunerable Val is in normal garb, while beautiful, strong and skilled in her Valkyrie garb.
    Last edited by Phoenixx9; 12-06-2022 at 12:06 PM.

The Sons of the Serpent story is a handful. One thing you can't fault it for is ambition. I almost want to put a content warning on my post: here, there be hate crimes.

Defenders vs White Nationalist Neo Nazies is quite a pitch. It could fall flat easily, but hot damn, does Gerber commit. Look at this stuff:

Attachment 126717

Our lead here, really, is the lily white Nighthawk, Kyle Richmond. (The Rich here is not accidental). He backs out of a deal with a real estate broker about bulldozing the projects and putting up a condo, then bam! Racists start throwing molotovs. What happens next is some sweet Nazi punching.

I really want to highlight Sal Buscema's pencils here. You can see his style really coming into his own, especially when you see his Hulk. He's not at his Spider-man blockiest yet--it's very much the house style, but lively and precise. Good stuff.

Attachment 126718

Sadly, the ending is a whiff, for me. Spoilers from here on out: Richmond's black butler being Serpent Supreme comes off well-meaning but misguided. It's certainly a twist, but it undercuts the commonplace and widespread hate that lurks behind the Serpents, turning them into henchmen of a mastermind who goes belly up in front of Kyle "trust fund" Richmond. Perhaps it could've worked in a Luke Cage story. Here, it makes Nighthawk's angst over his negligence the crux of the story. (Through another well-meaning but flimsy "Ur companies are actually pollutants! Didn't you know, mister CEO?" justification.

Overall, the good does outweigh the bad, I think. The vibes of the story are excellent. One weak issue does not cancel out the two kickass issues before it. The book is better off with this story in it.