Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Was the first series canceled for poor sales?
    I am not sure but it ran to 152 issues.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

I'm not sure. These kind of news were harder to come by back then. However, for some reason, Marvel felt that the non-team thing had run it's course, and had DeMatties come up with a story thread that led the four founders to decide to never again team up, least the Earth would be destroyed (a stupid decision, IMHO, after all, if they knew what they did to lead to the destruction of Earth, how about not doing it?). Parallel to this, the Beast had the drive to make the Defenders a more official team (read, more like the Avengers team). Both storylines find their climax in Defenders #125, in which Doc and the other founders (Namor, Hulk and Silver Surfer, always the heaviest hitters of the Defenders) pass the batton to the Beast and his New Defenders (Angel, Ice-Man, Valkyre, Gargoyle and Moondragon). Sadly DeMatties left at the conclusion of his first New Defenders saga, against Professor Power and the Secret Empire. After that, Peter B.Gilles took over the writing chores and, instead of facing Avengers-like foes, the Defenders continued to face mystical threats, monsters, wierd meneces, and, mostly, themselves (I always find this a bad move. Super-heroes are only as interesting as their foes). The art, by Don Perlin, while servicable, IMHO, lacked the star power to carry the book to new hights. So, although I greatly enjoyed the New Defenders (though I always thought the book had the potential to be SOOOOO much more), it came to an end with issue #152, which mostly served to kill of half the team, and free up the mutant trio for the launch of X-Factor. It's easy to think that the numbers were not quite up to what Marvel wanted, though.

Peace

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    I'm not sure. These kind of news were harder to come by back then. However, for some reason, Marvel felt that the non-team thing had run it's course, and had DeMatties come up with a story thread that led the four founders to decide to never again team up, least the Earth would be destroyed (a stupid decision, IMHO, after all, if they knew what they did to lead to the destruction of Earth, how about not doing it?). Parallel to this, the Beast had the drive to make the Defenders a more official team (read, more like the Avengers team). Both storylines find their climax in Defenders #125, in which Doc and the other founders (Namor, Hulk and Silver Surfer, always the heaviest hitters of the Defenders) pass the batton to the Beast and his New Defenders (Angel, Ice-Man, Valkyre, Gargoyle and Moondragon). Sadly DeMatties left at the conclusion of his first New Defenders saga, against Professor Power and the Secret Empire. After that, Peter B.Gilles took over the writing chores and, instead of facing Avengers-like foes, the Defenders continued to face mystical threats, monsters, wierd meneces, and, mostly, themselves (I always find this a bad move. Super-heroes are only as interesting as their foes). The art, by Don Perlin, while servicable, IMHO, lacked the star power to carry the book to new hights. So, although I greatly enjoyed the New Defenders (though I always thought the book had the potential to be SOOOOO much more), it came to an end with issue #152, which mostly served to kill of half the team, and free up the mutant trio for the launch of X-Factor. It's easy to think that the numbers were not quite up to what Marvel wanted, though.

Peace
    I'm pretty sure that was the bottom line, though wanting to launch X-Factor probably also contributed.

I will say, other than Sal Buscema, I think the Defenders got shorted on artists.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    how many omnibuses are there currently? How many currently-in-print TPBs of story arcs?

We've only got the one omnibus. But I think a majority of the original run has been printed, either through Marvel Masterworks or Epic Collections.

Seems like ever since Hulk was backpedaled back into the Avengers (on occasion, thanks to the movies), the traditional Defenders have kind of languished as a concept team.
    I wouldn't say that. The original run ended in 1986. The attempts at rebooting the Defenders 'languished' for 26 years, before the Hulk joined the Avengers in the MCU and through synergy, the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Hulk can be interesting as an Avenger, but I’ve always preferred him as a Defender.
    There’s a reason he left the Avengers so quickly; they didn’t click. In my head canon the Avengers don’t really have the patience to deal w. the Hulk while the Defenders somehow do.
    I don't find the Hulk interesting as an Avenger at all. IMO, he doesn't belong on that team. The Defenders was always made up of misfits and outsiders. Folks less mainstream than the Avengers. That, and the long standing friendship the Hulk built up with the Defenders, makes him a better fit with them.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    We've only got the one omnibus. But I think a majority of the original run has been printed, either through Marvel Masterworks or Epic Collections.

I wouldn't say that. The original run ended in 1986. The attempts at rebooting the Defenders 'languished' for 26 years, before the Hulk joined the Avengers in the MCU and through synergy, the comics.

I don't find the Hulk interesting as an Avenger at all. IMO, he doesn't belong on that team. The Defenders was always made up of misfits and outsiders. Folks less mainstream than the Avengers. That, and the long standing friendship the Hulk built up with the Defenders, makes him a better fit with them.
    Yes, I believe there are just shy of 20 issues or so for entire reprinting.

Yes, I also heard that Bobby, Hank and Warren were pulled for the beginning of X-Factor and no other writer was interested in continuing the series with different characters in order to continue.

Yes, Hulk belong to Defenders! Hulk like Defenders. Defenders treat Hulk nice, give him food, no make fun of him. Sword-Girl especially nice to Hulk.

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post

Peace
    What was said here, plus, IIRC, it and a few other books were selected to end to make room for the launch of New Universe.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

I was just going to post this. I discovered it on the wiki.

Though the series remained a modest hit through the Gillis/Perlin run, it was cancelled to make room in Marvel's production schedule for the New Universe line.
    From an article by Daniel DeAngelo, Daniel in Back Issue #65. "The Not-Ready-For-Super-Team Players: A History of the Defenders." I need to find that article.

Anyway, that's a real shame that they cancelled the book for New Universe.

Did the Defenders ever have an stand-out villains?

Astonishing Member

Nebulon and the headmen were two of my favorites. Scorpio was created as a villain for Nick Fury and Shield, but a lot of people (including me) know him best from the Defenders. They didn't have many recurring villains.

The Defenders fought many villains: The Undying Ones, Attuma, Loki, Dormammu, The Squadron Sinister, Xemu, The Wrecking Crew, The Baddoon, The Headmen, Plantman and Porcupine, Masters of Evil, and (robotic) Zodiak, just to name a few!

Right, they fought many villains that were already established, but did the Defenders ever have a break-out villain of their own?

What are everyone's favourite Defender story/stories?

My favorite storylines would be the Six-Fingered Hand, the Overmind/Squadron Supreme story and the Miracle Man/Hellstrom story.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    Right, they fought many villains that were already established, but did the Defenders ever have a break-out villain of their own?

What are everyone's favourite Defender story/stories?
    These were all new villains or rarely used villains: The Undying Ones, Xemnu, The Wrecking Crew, The Headmen and Tapping Tommy just to name a few.

so what are the plans for the Defenders after this current mini series is over?

I still want animated adaptations of storylines.

so what are the plans for the Defenders after this current mini series is over?

I still want animated adaptations of storylines.
    Yes, I would love that too.