Page 68 of 473 FirstFirst ... 185864656667686970717278118168 ... LastLast
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 7090

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    People equating her dress as a negative because only male clothing shows maturity, respect, and power is a problem. Alas, it's always good to change things up. I hate that the thing in the middle just abruptly ends, but I like the headgear and shoulder pads. It's the 90's nostalgia we all want.

The irony is that it was an evening gown. So she's gonna be fighting in an evening gown for a ball without the silk train in the back and heels.
    It aint that deep. Her costume was ugly. That wasnt simply bc it was a dress. The dishwashing gloves, horrible mask and clunky boots all contributed to it being a very unflattering look for her. And you are the one comparing hers to males when there are males with dated ugly costumes that get their own complaints, like Colossus. Mystique is wearing a dress but no one complains about it bc it isnt ugly and has aged well in a way that the MG dress hasnt

And Jean isnt wearing an evening gown. Its a pantsuit which is on brand for her

Amazing Member

Can we try to come up with a new code name for Jean, how about the name Cerebra ???
    Anyone else have any suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    Can we try to come up with a new code name for Jean, how about the name Cerebra ???
    Jean Grey. That's it. Maybe Red.
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

No. Jean Grey works fine. Few superheroes can actually go by their given name; Jean can and thats special

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Jean Grey. That's it. Maybe Red.
    Red is way too generic and if anything thats just the nickname that Wolverine calls her
    Last edited by Havok83; 02-01-2022 at 10:44 AM.

So glad the new look is already starting to show up.
    First X-Lady

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Red is way too generic and if anything thats just the nickname that Wolverine calls her
    Well, I like Red. And it's not just Logan's nickname for her; a lot of other characters have referred to her as Red.
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    It aint that deep. Her costume was ugly. That wasnt simply bc it was a dress. The dishwashing gloves, horrible mask and clunky boots all contributed to it being a very unflattering look for her. And you are the one comparing hers to males when there are males with dated ugly costumes that get their own complaints, like Colossus. Mystique is wearing a dress but no one complains about it bc it isnt ugly and has aged well in a way that the MG dress hasnt

And Jean isnt wearing an evening gown. Its a pantsuit which is on brand for her
    The people complaining about it was because they thought a woman shouldn't wear a skirt. They are saying "no dress." Which goes back to people thinking women clothing is not empowering. They just removed the silk, but yes, it was designed to be evening wear for a ball. I wouldn't say this new look is her best look, but I'm accepting of change, even though it's pretty 90's, but I liked her Jim Lee look, and this borrows heavily from it.

Phoenix. Period.

The people complaining about it was because they thought a woman shouldn't wear a skirt. They are saying "no dress." Which goes back to people thinking women clothing is not empowering. They just removed the silk, but yes, it was designed to be evening wear for a ball. I wouldn't say this new look is her best look, but I'm accepting of change, even though it's pretty 90's, but I liked her Jim Lee look, and this borrows heavily from it.
    Well Im one of the people that didnt like the dress and that had to do with aesthetics, not anything to do with empowerment. Evening wear and evening gown are not the same thing. Dautermann said that he designed her gala outfit so that it could pull double duty as a costume. It was created with combat scenarios in mind. Storm is also in her evening wear look and there are no complaints. The issue was specific to Jean's MG dress bc again it was ugly and has not aged well

I think Marvel Woman would be the best if she has to go by a new codename.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Your rationale makes sense.

Jean can, too...☝️��

I completely agree.

Exactly!

I agree on both counts.

Oh, Jean and Emma are definitely not friends; not yet, at least.

I admire your candor. As much as I dislike her, sometimes I feel I'm more like Emma than Jean when I'm on the defensive. However, Emma is a character I strive not to be like; Jean is one I aspire to be.

That!

Jean "willed the love of her life to 'live'" to save him and the rest of the world, specifically mutants.

Thank you!

Oh, you! Firstly, it would be too difficult. Secondly, it would be way too gaudy!
    It's not like she didn't know Emma was a manipulator, at that level of power she could have created an avatar of herself with at least a sum of her memories to live with him in mortal form even while her ascended or PF form was beyond mortal concerns, it's like the writers wanted it both ways Jean isn't Jean anymore so she can do what she wants but oh Jean feels bad for Scott , and fixes him.up with Emma..

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I've always like that name since Mutant X.

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I don't think she needs a codename, but if she was to have one, I'd love Marvel Woman too.

I never really understood why people don't like it. Do they also think "Wonder Woman" is clunky? Same number of syllables so... does the alliteration make it sound better to native ears?

Serious question.

I've always like that name since Mutant X.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Soul View Post
    I don't think she needs a codename, but if she was to have one, I'd love Marvel Woman too.

I never really understood why people don't like it. Do they also think "Wonder Woman" is clunky? Same number of syllables so... does the alliteration make it sound better to native ears?

Serious question.
    I do like Marvel Woman. I don't think it sounds clunky at all--not like some other suggested names for Jean have been.

But I did not know old Maddy Pryor had used it before, so I don't want Jean using a recycled name of another character.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

BANNED

The issue about the dress was more complicated than "girl clothes = bad".

Personally, I like Jean as high, high, high femme, but the dress was literally antiquated, and more importantly, the thinking behind it was old-fashioned and so it was metaphorically antiquated. IMO. Mahmud Asrar had Jean looking very womanly outside of the UN meeting and her hero costume.

Besides all that, who seriously flies in a skirt?
    Last edited by Kitty&Piotr<3; 02-01-2022 at 12:59 PM.