Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Damn. This is a massive massive feat by Jean. X-Men Unlimited #13, December 1996. I just re-read it.
    She flies through hyperspace while shielding herself with her TK. She helps Binary by encasing her in a wide psionic field (while still shielding herself from the cold vacuum of space with her TK), and when Binary is saved she holds them both in a TK bubble. In space.

I love Jean dearly, and I personally think she is capable of these feats, but this goes against how she was written back then (and to some extent how she is written now). I am not very familiar with the writer Jorge Gonzalez. Maybe he wasn’t too familiar with Jean’s abilities - and Jean having the codename Phoenix maybe confused him. (Sort of how Claremont went a bit crazy with Jean in Wolverine #125 when she had donned the Phoenix costume in UXM.)

True, Jean was written consistently more and more powerful after her marriage to Scott and after she accepted Rachel’s request and started calling herself Phoenix - but this is still almost a bit too powerful.

What do you guys think? Was the editor asleep or is this canon?

By the way:
    In the late 90s/early 00s I wrote this short story, trying to make sense of why Jean seemed to be less powerful when she re-joined X-Men in 1991 than she was in X-Factor. Ironically it has Xavier and Moira talking about her.

http://www.alara.net/opeople/xbooks/morningcoffee.txt
    (Lots of ”…” and lots of adverbs and adjectives. But in my defense most fan fiction was written like that back then. )
    Last edited by johnnysv75; 01-04-2022 at 02:56 PM.