Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New Mutants #33 Review/Spoilers: The Sublime Saga

Escapade's friend Morgan is freaking out about that whole "you're going to die today because of Escapade's powers" prophecy, and Escapade is trying to calm them down. Escapade herself is kind of going through it, since she's feeling guilty over Martha's words last issue. ("You don't care what happens to me, you just don't want it to be your fault.") But Escy tells Morgan that she's mastered her powers and even got to double swap today, so the vision likely won't come to fruition. This is enough for Morgan to do a complete 180 and proceed with the plot.

Meanwhile, Martha and Leo are hiding from the U-Men. But then they remember that they can kick ass, so they decide to stop hiding and telekinetically thrash them. And let me remind you that Hellion could have solved this problem much quicker, because he's a superior telekinetic.

But remember how Escapade and Martha switched last issue? No? Well, they switch back. So now Martha is with Morgan and their stupid turtle, and Escapade is with Leo. Since they gave up hiding to attack, and Escapade doesn't have psychic powers, the latter two are kind of screwed. Which, again, wouldn't have happened if they just brought Hellion along. But maybe it's for the best, because he'd totally make fun of Escapade and Morgan for dressing like hipsters.

Meanwhile, Wolfsbane is confronted by Sublime, who plans on infecting Krakoa with the help of the mutants here today. Sensing this is going to be a hairy situation, Wolfsbane turns into a pack of wolves to fight him. Sublime beats them up.

Martha and Morgan find them. As a distraction, Martha smashes an old brain jar; something Sublime shrugs off, since he could always just make another one. He calls forth the U-Men, then runs off to get some Kick.

Escapade and Leo are fighting U-Men, as well. After getting her ass kicked, Escapade switches places with one of the U-Men, which leads to the other one kicking their ass in her place. Leo starts an electrical fire. But then Sublime shows up, slaps an inhibitor collar on Escapade. He says that she probably has a lot of angst because she's trans and a mutant, and often feels like she doesn't belong. He'll help her by making her his weapon and being mean to her. But at least he's not transphobic, which is surprisingly considerate for sentient bacteria.

Data page: old emails between Escapade and Morgan. Escapade often feels down because of trans or mutant hate, and a part of her believes there really is something wrong with her. But they love Morgan and will do anything to prevent Destiny's prophecy from coming to pass.

Back to the story. Everyone catches up to Sublime, who threatens to mess with them using Kick. But Morgan uses their powers to turn Kick into chocolate, rendering it harmless. Sublime goes on to his next plan: run off with Escapade, so he can torture her into becoming his weapon. Too bad only Leo is a good enough telekinetic to pull Escapade out of Sublime's grip. If only they had Hellion.

Sublime is chased to the roof, where his escape plan fails due to everyone attacking him. During the tussles, Escapade's collar breaks. There's an explosion, and Morgan is blasted off the roof. It looks like Destiny's prophecy is coming true after all! Except not really, because Escapade swaps with them. And Escapade doesn't even die because Leo just telekinetically lifts her back up. So I guess there was really no danger after all. Not that I really care, since even the characters were talking about the vision being subverted long before this "twist."

Anyway, everyone is alive. Including all the U-Men, despite all the fires and the explosion and stuff. Everyone can breathe easy and nerd out about Time Archer, while Wolfsbane collects a drive full of U-Men secrets. Escapade has a cute moment where the reflects on enjoying the sound of Morgan nerd out about their interests.

Later, Escapade confronts Destiny and Emma the vision, and how they made it seem like this inescapable fate and put her through hell over worrying about it. "Lol," said the scorpions. "lmao." Escapade's pissed at them, and Destiny says that she's still not ready for what's to come. Master your powers and all that.

Hey, you know who already mastered his powers and could have done everything better? Hellion.

Notes:
    • I love the chemistry between Escapade and Morgan. I hope the Escapade/Martha ship theories are proven wrong, because this is the superior pairing.
    • Destiny unknowingly quotes Yoda. Mystique had told her the quote came from a German philosopher.
    • Unrelated, but I bought the dogs some toys today. They don't care about the banana toy I got them, but they went absolutely mental over this little plastic pinata that squeaks. They've been fighting over it for like two hours.
    2024: The Year of Hellion

A hairy situation lol. Thanks for the recap!

EDIT: I just remembered that this title is taking a break for a few months. Did it feel concluded, Rift? Or kinda left things with anticipation that it was coming back with the mini?
    Last edited by JB; 12-28-2022 at 06:24 PM.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Amazing Member

I'm way late on this, I know. But I remember reading that Vita would eventually come back to New Mutants, is that real or is she gone from the book?

I think they're gone for the foreseeable future. There's a five issue mini coming out in March by the current writer, but that's all I've heard of.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

This was disappointing. The bulk of the story was messy, it wasn't really clear who was where, and the flow of action was super choppy. Way too much space at the end of the issue dedicated to the characters discussing some fictional media that only exists in story that all felt very "hello fellow kids". Escapade is kind of irritating, and I don't like Morgan. The only amusing part was the bit with Destiny quoting Yoda. I'm now much less interested in checking out the follow up mini coming in March.

Knishes are delicious. Especially with mustard.
    Last edited by ARkadelphia; 12-30-2022 at 07:23 AM.
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Does flying turtle have a name?
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Does flying turtle have a name?
    Yeah, his name is Hibbert.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    This was disappointing. The bulk of the story was messy, it wasn't really clear who was where, and the flow of action was super choppy. Way too much space at the end of the issue dedicated to the characters discussing some fictional media that only exists in story that all felt very "hello fellow kids". Escapade is kind of irritating, and I don't like Morgan. The only amusing part was the bit with Destiny quoting Yoda. I'm now much less interested in checking out the follow up mini coming in March.
    I've been disliking the art for this arc and think you nailed as to why. Although it is a hard act following Rod Reis!

I quite like Escapade as a character even if she was a bit of a Poochie for these 3 issues. Morgan i find quite irritating but I do enjoy his random pet flying turtle.

Never really liked any of Morrison's run so an arc focused on Sublime & Martha wasn't going to be one I took to immediatley. Leo was one of the visually least interesting (and power wise) of Vita's new queer creations so was suprised they were featured in this arc.

Can we quietly drop Wolfsbane becoming several wolves as part of her powerset and never mention it again?

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KylunFan View Post
    I've been disliking the art for this arc and think you nailed as to why. Although it is a hard act following Rod Reis!

I quite like Escapade as a character even if she was a bit of a Poochie for these 3 issues. Morgan i find quite irritating but I do enjoy his random pet flying turtle.

Never really liked any of Morrison's run so an arc focused on Sublime & Martha wasn't going to be one I took to immediatley. Leo was one of the visually least interesting (and power wise) of Vita's new queer creations so was suprised they were featured in this arc.

Can we quietly drop Wolfsbane becoming several wolves as part of her powerset and never mention it again?
    I'm surprised they brought that back. When was the last time that even came up? David's X-Factor?
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I'm surprised they brought that back. When was the last time that even came up? David's X-Factor?
    It makes even less sense when she still has the hybrid form in the next panel too. At what point in her transformation does she split into multi-wolf, and what even happens if one of her isn't there to merge (or any number of questions that it took years of stories to figure out for Madrox)?

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    A hairy situation lol. Thanks for the recap!

EDIT: I just remembered that this title is taking a break for a few months. Did it feel concluded, Rift? Or kinda left things with anticipation that it was coming back with the mini?
    Forgot to answer this lol. Destiny and Emma imply that more harrowing adventures await Escapade, but the actual story arc (Escapade's dilemmas about her friend's fate) was wrapped up here. There are no outstanding plotlines left hanging, and everything has been contained to this arc, so there's not much left to wonder explore.

I'm not particularly hyped on Lethal Legion, and this Sublime arc was pretty unengaging. But I'm interested in following Escapade herself, especially if the story is unrelated to this one.
    2024: The Year of Hellion

Mighty Member

So is this series ending?

Just until March, then a new New Mutants mini starts with the current writer and some of the OG characters. Plus Escapade.