Page 51 of 473 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101151 ... LastLast

Also, Happy 50th Page to Jean Grey and January 2022 is not even over yet!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    Wildcats is also on Tubi last I checked. I watched the full series on there before. It is not very good, but it took me back. I watched it a little bit when it first came out. I was a kid in the early 90's. I think I even had Wildcats issue 1 as part of my original comic book collection. Yikes.

Thanks for posting the images from the X-men/Wildcats crossover. Jean looked good there in the Marvel Girl outfit which proves it is not always bad. It just doesn't fit the present. Some things are better left in the past.
    It can look phenomenal when the artist get the proportions right:

But I agree with you: I'd have preferred if it had stayed in the past, as one of her uniforms she made iconic but became part of her history.
    Last edited by Grinning Soul; 01-22-2022 at 07:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Soul View Post

But I agree with you: I'd have preferred if it had stayed in the past, as one of her uniforms she made iconic but became part of her history.
    I don't even think pulling it out every now and then would be a problem - everyone feels nostalgic every now and then. But it should be in a rotation at best, mostly something worn occasionally and normally with some kind of reason when it does get pulled out.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I don't even think pulling it out every now and then would be a problem - everyone feels nostalgic every now and then. But it should be in a rotation at best, mostly something worn occasionally and normally with some kind of reason when it does get pulled out.
    Sure. It's super iconic, why not? So being used because of a flashback, or because Jean is feeling playful or because it might have some other significance (like in the DPS) would be great, especially if the artist is trying to get the proportions right and the costume is looking good.

In the end, the WildCATs had to retcon themselves out of existence. Something about Daemonites combining with Sentinels.

Now they are part of DC, so any shippers can only turn to fanfic.

Of interesting note is exactly how much those characters draw from the X-Men. Just shy of a lawsuit for copyright infringement in my opinion.
    WB probably spend more money buying it than profititng from it. I guess there is some legal problems that prevent them from doing live action and new cartoons

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Soul View Post

Those images are great. You are right it can look good depending on the artist.

I think if Jean had remained in the Marvel Girl dress post Phoenix Resurrection it would have made sense, because the mini ended with Jean back in the Marvel Girl look. It just didn't make sense to me for her being in the costume after X-men Red. While I also had issues with the X-men Red costume it was a stronger look for Jean. I felt Jean had an evolution in X-men Red and then it reverted in the current era. Which this also makes sense because in the X-men Red era Jean didn't have Cyclops, Wolverine, or Xavier. It was Jean forging her own path and her own vision. That felt great at the time, and I'm still sad because it didn't last long enough. It was nice seeing Jean without the others (and even without the Phoenix as much as it pains me to say but I didn't expect her to retain it).

Jean's main themes revolve around her powers, her relationships, and the Phoenix. It is really no wonder these are the most common areas where we disagree on this forum. While sometimes we disagree, at least we do have a common appreciation for the X-men and this character in particular.

I really am enjoying Duggan's version of Jean. As much as I loved her being on X-force (because it was something different) and being on the Quiet Council, it rings true to the character that she would be an X-man and she would fight for not only Krakoa but the world. I love that Scott and Jean reformed the X-men and that they get to go on big adventures. I definitely want more quiet character moments, but I also want Jean to have more of an action role too. I'm keeping expectations at a moderate level, but I hope to see Jean in action in the issues after X-men #7.

One season, and while it doesn't tie up every lose end, it resolves the metaplot and the primary romantic subplot (not who you think it is btw).
    I got to episode 3 before passing out. I plan to finish it. It’s dated but in a charming way.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Thanks for posting all those scenes, Mercury. I never read that story, but I loved how Jean looked both as Marvel Girl and as Phoenix!
    You should try to. It’s a great arc!
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    Those images are great. You are right it can look good depending on the artist.

I think if Jean had remained in the Marvel Girl dress post Phoenix Resurrection it would have made sense, because the mini ended with Jean back in the Marvel Girl look. It just didn't make sense to me for her being in the costume after X-men Red. While I also had issues with the X-men Red costume it was a stronger look for Jean. I felt Jean had an evolution in X-men Red and then it reverted in the current era. Which this also makes sense because in the X-men Red era Jean didn't have Cyclops, Wolverine, or Xavier. It was Jean forging her own path and her own vision. That felt great at the time, and I'm still sad because it didn't last long enough. It was nice seeing Jean without the others (and even without the Phoenix as much as it pains me to say but I didn't expect her to retain it).

Jean's main themes revolve around her powers, her relationships, and the Phoenix. It is really no wonder these are the most common areas where we disagree on this forum. While sometimes we disagree, at least we do have a common appreciation for the X-men and this character in particular.

I really am enjoying Duggan's version of Jean. As much as I loved her being on X-force (because it was something different) and being on the Quiet Council, it rings true to the character that she would be an X-man and she would fight for not only Krakoa but the world. I love that Scott and Jean reformed the X-men and that they get to go on big adventures. I definitely want more quiet character moments, but I also want Jean to have more of an action role too. I'm keeping expectations at a moderate level, but I hope to see Jean in action in the issues after X-men #7.
    I don’t think the dress would have made sense after her resurrection story either, but I do agree it would have made more sense than *after* she got a new costume for X-Men: Red.

I like the dress as a historical piece. It’s a bit like Jean in the X-Factor: I *love* how Louise Simonson wrote her, but I wouldn’t want a current writer to try to emulate it. It made sense for the character then, it wouldn’t make sense after everything she’s lived. I can cherish that era as part of her past.

So I’m glad the dress is going away. I think the modified Hellfire Gala costume is good enough. Honestly, I don’t care much about it. Jean can make anything work and I’m more interested in her characterization.

At the same time, I just don’t have energy to care about anything in this Krakoa era anymore. I see some big, structural problems that have been around since its inception and I don’t think things are going to improve significantly when most of the creators are still the same and they don’t seem to see the issues.

So I prefer not to comment about anything in specific because I don’t want to drag anyone down. I’m happy for the fans who are enjoying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    It would give more context of you point to the scene exactly, but regardless by revealing the Phoenix as an extra terrestrial entity and not connecting it to Jean directly, there is a disconnect.What I mean is if the D'Bari knew it looked for a particular host and Jean was that host ,they should have explained why it sought out Jean in XMA, you can't just half ass the concept on the one hand it's extra terrestrial on the other Jean has encountered it before and not in space...it is a very simple thing but inexplicably no explanation was given.It was as simple as saying the D'Bari noticed the entity picked a keen interest in our planet having sojourned here before or at least picking up its initial reading during XMA and following the 'pulse' to see it hovering around our star system in disembodied form.Seems to me the writers just brought it up in XMA ,but didn't think of how flesh out the lore.
    Jean first manifested the Phoenix aura in X2 and was explained to be telekinetic energy from her mutation. Why explain something that was already explained in the previous films? I mean, they don’t explain the powers of other mutants over and over again.
    Last edited by Gnostic; 01-22-2022 at 11:36 AM.

Just a few tweaks I did:
    1. The bodysuit looks better in a very dark grey
    2. I put the pentagon on her headpiece
    3. I removed the X on the abdomen as it feels redundant. The green part of the torso should stretch down a little more below the belly button
    4. I feel like the X boots should be calves length (think Morrison era) instead of ankle to breakup the leg more, but that’s just me.
    5. I colored the X above her chest gold to match the X’s on her X-boots.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelboy1974 View Post
    Just a few tweaks I did:
    3. I removed the X on the abdomen as it feels redundant. The green part of the torso should stretch down a little more below the belly button
    4. I feel like the X boots should be calves length (think Morrison era) instead of ankle to breakup the leg more, but that’s just me.
    Fantastic work. I don’t like the gold x emblazoned on her chest, but I know you and others do. It does tip the hat to her X-Factor suits. However, overall, I really like your retweak. I absolutely love the black.
    Last edited by Mercury; 01-22-2022 at 12:40 PM.
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelboy1974 View Post
    Just a few tweaks I did:
    Very nice work.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

omg. I just thought of an interesting alteration, Marvelboy1974. Keep the black and make the triangular torso area ribbed—either grey, gold, or green—to really tip the hat to Morrison-era Jean. It looks so rad the way I’m picturing it.

Here are some patterns to inspire you. Maybe you can use them; you just have to flip and make the lines go horizontally. And the gold X on the waist would look fantastic with this combo.

I couldn’t help myself. A very rough sketch…