Page 49 of 473 FirstFirst ... 394546474849505152535999149 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysv75 View Post
    Sometimes I want to go back in time and pull the 1990s version of Madchen Amick into the 2020s so she could be the one definitive Jean Grey.
    She looked more like how I imagine Jean in the movies Sleepwalkers and Dreamlover, but I couldn’t find gifs that I was able to link to here. So you have to take my word for it. :-)

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

Sometimes I want to go back in time and pull the 1990s version of Madchen Amick into the 2020s so she could be the one definitive Jean Grey.

Before she was cast as Karen Page, Deborah Ann Woll was my choice for Jean (even though she's a bit too tall in my opinion).

Check her range of expressions:

It's a shame her face is already in the MCU.

I love this scene:

Jean's on the chopping block! Eliminate a Mutant poll on Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/xmen/commen...ter_scrapping/ protect our girl!

BANNED

Lol @ Jean and Logan getting the aggro in that poll. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Soul View Post
    Before she was cast as Karen Page, Deborah Ann Woll was my choice for Jean (even though she's a bit too tall in my opinion).

Check her range of expressions:

It's a shame her face is already in the MCU.
    Yaaaassss! Deborah Ann would make the perfect Jean! I love Deborah's height and Jean really seems taller than 5'6", so this is perfect!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

I love this scene:

Deborah is beautiful, she can act and she has played someone with powers.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Agent of Chaos View Post
    In the movie, it is stated that Jean was evolving into the Phoenix Force and it was a power that was already in her.

To be fair, the big three had little screen time in the Dark Phoenix movie compared to Jean. There were actual estimates done.

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls021989213/

Magneto didn’t even show up until over halfway through the film. Mystique also dies halfway through. The big three definitely took a bit of a back seat in that movie.

That’s true for the original series, but the 2019 film was actually meant to be the start of a Dark Phoenix Saga duology/trilogy and even has an open ending. It was basically an origin story about how Jean becomes Phoenix according to the people who worked on it. Check out this Reddit thread for sources:

https://reddit.com/r/MarvelatFox/com...e_xmen_series/
    It would give more context of you point to the scene exactly, but regardless by revealing the Phoenix as an extra terrestrial entity and not connecting it to Jean directly, there is a disconnect.What I mean is if the D'Bari knew it looked for a particular host and Jean was that host ,they should have explained why it sought out Jean in XMA, you can't just half ass the concept on the one hand it's extra terrestrial on the other Jean has encountered it before and not in space...it is a very simple thing but inexplicably no explanation was given.It was as simple as saying the D'Bari noticed the entity picked a keen interest in our planet having sojourned here before or at least picking up its initial reading during XMA and following the 'pulse' to see it hovering around our star system in disembodied form.Seems to me the writers just brought it up in XMA ,but didn't think of how flesh out the lore.

Astonishing Member

She looked more like how I imagine Jean in the movies Sleepwalkers and Dreamlover, but I couldn’t find gifs that I was able to link to here. So you have to take my word for it. :-)

20 years ago Rebecca Leigh Mader would have been great too.

Astonishing Member

20 years ago Rebecca Leigh Mader would have been great too.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Yaaaassss! Deborah Ann would make the perfect Jean! I love Deborah's height and Jean really seems taller than 5'6", so this is perfect!
    I've learnt to like the official height for Jean, but she's been drawn so inconsistently that I can totally understand different fans having different preferences (I was even one of those fans) and, for her, I don't think the actress' height should be a deal breaker.

She does look great with red hair, though. And Jean's red mane *is* a deal breaker for me! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Deborah is beautiful, she can act and she has played someone with powers.
    She's so expressive in the second clip. She walks in, dressed in yellow (Jean had lots of yellow dresses in the original run) like a sunshine, ready to misbehave. She's looking around, picking her meal (she's a vampire), then she sees Hoyt and he looks both adorable and an easy meal.

We get that all without her saying a word.

In fact, he does most of the dialogue in the scene, but you can see in her face her character's thought process and her emotions changing. Deborah Ann Woll nails every second of the scene.

These are her actual lines:

"Hi".
    "I'm alone".
    "Jessica".
    "How do you know I'm a nice girl?"
    "Day? Yeah, right".
    "No. Course not".
    "I'll just have a bottle of Tru Blood?"
    "B positive?"

Everything else (and there's a *lot* there) is just silent acting! :)

She was perfect for Jean!

Of the younger actress the only one who has really impressed me with her acting skills is Millie Bobby Brown. She was really good in season 1, but she kills in Stranger Things, season 2.

I don't think she looks like Jean, but I think with make-up and right wardrobe she could look close enough.

Basically, I want a great actress to play Jean. The role really needs it. A mediocre one simply cannot pull it off.

I've learnt to like the official height for Jean, but she's been drawn so inconsistently that I can totally understand different fans having different preferences (I was even one of those fans) and, for her, I don't think the actress' height should be a deal breaker.

She does look great with red hair, though. And Jean's red mane *is* a deal breaker for me!

She's so expressive in the second clip. She walks in, dressed in yellow (Jean had lots of yellow dresses in the original run) like a sunshine, ready to misbehave. She's looking around, picking her meal (she's a vampire), then she sees Hoyt and he looks both adorable and an easy meal.

We get that all without her saying a word.

In fact, he does most of the dialogue in the scene, but you can see in her face her character's thought process and her emotions changing. Deborah Ann Woll nails every second of the scene.

These are her actual lines:

"Hi".
    "I'm alone".
    "Jessica".
    "How do you know I'm a nice girl?"
    "Day? Yeah, right".
    "No. Course not".
    "I'll just have a bottle of Tru Blood?"
    "B positive?"

Everything else (and there's a *lot* there) is just silent acting!

She was perfect for Jean!

Of the younger actress the only one who has really impressed me with her acting skills is Millie Bobby Brown. She was really good in season 1, but she kills in Stranger Things, season 2.

I don't think she looks like Jean, but I think with make-up and right wardrobe she could look close enough.

Basically, I want a great actress to play Jean. The role really needs it. A mediocre one simply cannot pull it off.
    Main characters are rarely served by mediocre actors.

While the show does have problems, Amazon's Wheel of Time did do the casting right, and part of it was to have the prospective cast read lines from later in the series rather than just the first book. The principal cast of any new X-films needs to take a similar approach. Have at least an outline of where they want each character to be by the end of each film, and find similar lines in the comics for each cast member to read.

We don't need anyone stuck in their initial characterization - Jean's actress needs to be able to pull off the naive newcomer, the scared of herself powerhouse, the confident in her abilities version of the same, and the wise beyond her years pillar of empathy. The conflicted love, the rage at seeing those she cares about hurt, and the person who can help guide others through their own conflicted feelings.

Jean's actress needs to be able to make the audience believe ALL of that, not just a few bits of it.
    Dark does not mean deep.

I was reading WildC.A.T.S./X-Men before bed and felt like sharing. I’d love for this friendship to be revisited. They kicked ass. Literally.

Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

For more on this story, check out this thread:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Jean_RED_...14008712581121
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Years later…