Page 60 of 473 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470110160 ... LastLast

I like the new design as well. But then again I was always in favor of the Gala outfit becoming her main outfit. Anything to get rid of that damn dress!

My only real nit-pick is the back. I keep expecting her to burst out with some psychic energy wings or something.
    This is not our house. Know that and know peace!

Not really active here anymore, feel free to find me on the cesspool that is Twitter: https://twitter.com/DivineMutation

Quote Originally Posted by Subliminally View Post
    I like the new design as well. But then again I was always in favor of the Gala outfit becoming her main outfit. Anything to get rid of that damn dress!

My only real nit-pick is the back. I keep expecting her to burst out with some psychic energy wings or something.
    I can see games that use her Phoenix Wings Signature for powers playing up that aspect.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    I feel people project their own personal pain onto the characters. There’s no reason for Jean and Emma to hate each other. No reason for Emma and Storm to hate each other. Those rivalries are back from the day when they far fewer female characters, and from when writers had to make the two female characters around fight each other. Emma was introduced as an enemy to Jean, then Storm in 1980. Decades later, it’s literally a different world.

I’m happy Kitty and Emma are friends.

I’m happy the X-Men show that people can forgive people. Emma has nothing done nothing bad to the X-Men in quite sometime abd has saved the day on multiple occasions. It makes characters like Kitty, Jean, and Storm string women who can acknowledge the change in Emma, all they good she has done, and move forward and give Emma genuine acceptance.

Trying to hate and condemn someone forever for past wrongdoings is wrong and hypocritical.
    It just doesn't make any sense, imo. It would be one thing if there was on-panel movement to the BFF status quo, and still would probably not be honestly believable, but at least there would be effort. Now, like with basically everything related to Jean, they just pretend any history where they weren't total BFF4Eva never happened.

It's not like they would need to be fighting all the time, or interact at all really, but the characterization should make sense.

This is like Bishop and Hope having a loving best friends relationship. She could understand why he did what he did, or not, but them going out for ice cream sundaes would be corny nonsense.

I kinda get where you're coming from in that I understand you want all the characters to be friends as an aesthetic, but I don't agree that that makes sense for the characters.

Think about real life; not every person is every person's best friend.

Quote Originally Posted by xhx23x View Post
    I can see games that use her Phoenix Wings Signature for powers playing up that aspect.
    Yeah, exactly. I mean I'm aware that she doesn't really need it obviously. I just think the visual would look very cool in like a splash page.

But you know like more pink and flamey and "extra".

Edit
    Like this but more Jean, lol. Like the wings erupt when she's getting ready to lay down the mother of all telepathic beatdowns.
    Last edited by Subliminally; 01-27-2022 at 10:47 AM.
    This is not our house. Know that and know peace!

Not really active here anymore, feel free to find me on the cesspool that is Twitter: https://twitter.com/DivineMutation

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Then it seems to me he’s not much of a “god,” which is what he is classified as. Also, why wasn’t he able to take control of her the way he did others?
    As much as Cates hyped up Knull, he wasn't that impressive in the end, Eddie powered by Captain Universe, with Silver Surfer's board and Mjolnir defeated him way too easily, and while Knull is still above a lot of characters, to lose that fast, and being killed by being thrown into the sun? Give me a break, that's not very impressive for a cosmic character lol.

I assume she didn’t attack first because her form of attack—i.e., psychic—could have harmed the others, but that’s just my guess.
    Dylan's own power can mess with symbiotes, Sleeper, one of Venom's children, tried to bond with him once (I think it was during Absolute Carnage) and was hurt when trying to do so, what Jean did was have Dylan use his own power on Knull so everyone can be freed from the symbiotes safely.

It's possible Jean herself could free the others, but then she'd had to do so while a pissed off Knull would be trying to fight back, while also trying to make sure the others aren't being hurt by the symbiotes, so even if she could do it, it's risky, and using Dylan, who's essentially a counter pick to Knull (Knull himself says in KiB#4 itself that "They made you to destroy me"), is far safer.

Her eyes opened and glowed in her signature pink colo before Silver Surfer acknowledged that he heard her.
    And considering he's aware of the God of Light stuff, then he quite clearly at least heard Jean after she was doing an info dump to everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Soul View Post
    I don't think in this case it makes much difference, Mercury, because it *is* a personal issue. It depends on what you consider is friendship. Depending on how you see it, it won't be convincing no matter how well it's written. [EDITED: and this is not even exclusive to Jean and Emma. It's true for any two characters. Depending on how you see friendship, you just won't see certain characters being friends].
    In particular I find it ridiculous how Marvel pushes Spidey and Wolverine into being friends, Spidey himself wouldn't want to be friends with someone who kills like he does, he's not Punisher level of bloodthirsty, but still kills once in a while.

For instance, I heard people telling me that they really believe that if you can't "forget" (not literally, of course), it means you didn't really "forgive". And while I don't feel this is true in my heart, I truly understand their point.
    It does mean you didn't forgive completely if you still hold a grudge, or are at least wary of the other person, but not completely forgiving someone doesn't mean you didn't forgive at all too, it's not an all or nothing kind of deal lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    It just doesn't make any sense, imo. It would be one thing if there was on-panel movement to the BFF status quo, and still would probably not be honestly believable, but at least there would be effort. Now, like with basically everything related to Jean, they just pretend any history where they weren't total BFF4Eva never happened.

It's not like they would need to be fighting all the time, or interact at all really, but the characterization should make sense.

This is like Bishop and Hope having a loving best friends relationship. She could understand why he did what he did, or not, but them going out for ice cream sundaes would be corny nonsense.

I kinda get where you're coming from in that I understand you want all the characters to be friends as an aesthetic, but I don't agree that that makes sense for the characters.

Think about real life; not every person is every person's best friend.
    I always viewed Emma as a person who doesn't have any friends. She can be in friendly terms with people or find a way to be so if its necessary, but they won't be close in the same way as a tradional friendship is. I do think Emma has very complicated relationships with women.

In terms of how Jean feels about her and how they act with each other now, I take two things into consideration: One, when Jean was at literal God power levels she saw how much Emma loved Scott and push them together so she could make him happy. I think she has a connection through their shared love for him. Two, Teen Jean's memories, that put her in a position where Emma took her under her wing and trained her, creating a psychic bond that probably goes beyond their differences.

So nothing in this era has contradicted their history for me, personally. I mean, the closest indication we may have got to them hanging out was that exchange in Hickman's X-Men where they planned to have drinks, but they were in the QC together at the time so you could argue they were doing it as coworkers.

Quote Originally Posted by xhx23x View Post

So nothing in this era has contradicted their history for me, personally. I mean, the closest indication we may have got to them hanging out was that exchange in Hickman's X-Men where they planned to have drinks, but they were in the QC together at the time so you could argue they were doing it as coworkers.
    Don't give delusional people an out while they're refusing to acknowledge canon. I doubt Jean would want to go for drinks with Exodus or Sinister, they too were her co-workers in the same sense. It's clear that Jean and Emma are friendly (if not, outright "friends" since that term is so loaded for some) enough to share Cyclops' eggplant emoji, even if they still have a playfully snarky relationship.

For what it's worth, the lot of you acting like it's impossible for someone to go from an enemy to a friend betrays your own lack of life experience. Anecdotally, while Jean is my favorite character, Emma and Monet's personalities are closer to my own. I'm a bitch, and a snob, but I have more friends than I know what to do with even if I don't consider myself especially pleasant...people gravitate towards authenticity and honesty even if it's not sugarcoated. Sometimes, especially if it's not.

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    In particular I find it ridiculous how Marvel pushes Spidey and Wolverine into being friends, Spidey himself wouldn't want to be friends with someone who kills like he does, he's not Punisher level of bloodthirsty, but still kills once in a while.
    Yeah. I feel the same about a bunch of friendships. I don't think just because they exist, I'm obliged to like those or future ones that might make me feel the same. Two wrongs don't make a right, after all.

But again: that's personal. I understand other people feel differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    It does mean you didn't forgive completely if you still hold a grudge, or are at least wary of the other person, but not completely forgiving someone doesn't mean you didn't forgive at all too, it's not an all or nothing kind of deal lol.
    If I forgive someone, I honestly don't hold a grudge against them. But depending on what they did and even more importantly *why* they did it and how they choose to behave afterwards, I won't turn my back to them. I give my trust freely until someone shows me I can't trust them. And then they have to earn it back and I'll admit it's not an easy task.

Some people don't see that as true forgiveness and I truly accept their view. I don't know if they see it that way because they can truly put the past behind them as if it hadn't happened or because they can't be as detached as I am and they actually forgive people less often than I do. But it doesn't matter. I understand that people are just different.
    Last edited by Grinning Soul; 01-27-2022 at 12:30 PM.

Love it! It's a good look for Jean. It reminds me somewhat of her X-Men Evolution costume. But this one has more glossiness and contrast. And without the cape, it's a lot more tactical. I'm perfectly fine with this being Jean's uniform for the foreseeable future.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Don't give delusional people an out while they're refusing to acknowledge canon. I doubt Jean would want to go for drinks with Exodus or Sinister, they too were her co-workers in the same sense. It's clear that Jean and Emma are friendly (if not, outright "friends" since that term is so loaded for some) enough to share Cyclops' eggplant emoji, even if they still have a playfully snarky relationship.

For what it's worth, the lot of you acting like it's impossible for someone to go from an enemy to a friend betrays your own lack of life experience. Anecdotally, while Jean is my favorite character, Emma and Monet's personalities are closer to my own. I'm a bitch, and a snob, but I have more friends than I know what to do with even if I don't consider myself especially pleasant...people gravitate towards authenticity and honesty even if it's not sugarcoated. Sometimes, especially if it's not.
    Yes, let's have some of that lol.

Emma and Jean being BFFs does not ring authentically at all does it? Gotcha.

Also, them hanging out with Sinister and Co. of course makes even less sense, but I don't think people ever argue that it does.

I don't understand the back at all. Seems like detail is missing and that's the only piece of the costume that has that particular color.

Edit: Well I guess you do kinda see the back from the front so the color is represented on the front side.

Anyhoo, glad the costume thing is done.
    Last edited by Kitty&Piotr<3; 01-27-2022 at 11:21 AM.

Just popped in for a sec to say I'm glad Russell officialized the change of uniform! Duggan did, too, last week. I love the silhouette of this look.
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Also, before I dart off, I found these, Grinning Soul. They made me think of our brief discussion some days/weeks ago:

Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Nice to see Jean wearing a tweaked version of her Gala outfit.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Start the year with victories (since almost dropping a bomb in the editorial).

They could leave her with Lukas and Dauterman so we would have a new costume every month hahaha

Very happy with the costume design and to see her move on from the dress! I’ll take it!!!!