Page 315 of 473 FirstFirst ... 215265305311312313314315316317318319325365415 ... LastLast
Results 4,711 to 4,725 of 7090

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    Didn't Fraction make Emma Omega nearly 20 years ago now?
    Hickman's list pretty much retconned everyone else who was said to be omega before it as not being such.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega_DCD View Post
    I forgot to give thanks to those posters that either agreed with me or at least could see where I was coming from. And geez, these forums needn't be so binary...there are gradients between the extremes and a critique is not a "bash."
    To be clear, I completely understand where you're coming from. Hell, my initial reflexive response was to defend Jean's status as the most powerful telepath, so I really do understand. Furthermore, I understand the point you made regarding Ewing's framing of Ororo's statement and all that it may have entailed. However, I chose not to remain in that space for the reasons I've already mentioned in my previous posts, i.e., 1) Jean is listed as an Omega Level Telepath and Xavier is not; 2) Ororo didn't make an absolute statement—she said "perhaps"—but even if she had, she doesn't have the requisite knowledge or power to positively determine who is the most powerful and who is not; and 3) most importantly, it's toxic to me.

This isn't specifically directed at you or anyone else, for that matter, but I simply cannot allow myself to get bogged down by pessimism or, at worst, bitterness over a character that has undergone and will continue to undergo myriad changes. The best I can do for this character and myself is to celebrate her and have fun. I see some truly toxic people in this forum (thankfully, not the majority) who are willing to denigrate, disparage, and even mischaracterize characters, their fans, and the creatives charged with handling them all because of their own toxic overidentification with and need to lift up another character or other. And frankly, I thank god that I'm not, or at least strive not to be, so sad, small, and petty. Ultimately, there's so much more to life than these comic books and characters.

Lastly, I'm genuinely happy with where Jean is currently and where I've been told she's going. I choose to focus on the excitement that generates in me, along with the excitement I feel contemplating the prospects of the unknown, rather than trying to predict what will happen. The posters I've criticized in this thread have usually been posters who repeatedly post nothing but negative takes and opinions here. Obviously, everyone is within their rights to share their negative takes and opinions here, but when that's all that they do over and over, time and again, I honestly don't see or get the point. It also affects other posters who come to this thread—an appreciation thread—to have fun and celebrate their love for this character.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega_DCD View Post
    These are some of my favorite Jean narrative panels, but they don't exist in a vacuum. There's always a "page before" or "bigger picture" or asterisk somewhere. For the panel when Jean is about to "reprogram " Frenzy, it still places a caveat with Xavier...

And as for the Wolverine issue when Scott gets infected with the nanosentinels...the whole post-Onslaught era, Bastion/O:ZT, up until after "The Search for Xavier", Xavier was depowered...so occasionally Jean got some "de facto" accolades as the most powerful telepath, but as noted above, it soon reverted back to type.
    Thank you for the clarification! I genuinely forgot about the Frenzy "caveat." As for the other panel I posted, good point!
    Last edited by Mercury; 06-29-2022 at 08:54 PM.
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Oh, no, Luke!

You write beautifully.
    Thanks, for the... I'm not even sure, I'll just assume the compliments have reached double digits already lol.

spoilers:
    I know it's Luk; I just wanted to mess with you :P
    end of spoilers
    You'll be happy to know I've been messed with :P

I'm not nor ever have been a gamer, so I'm totally unfamiliar with this.
    Well, in Ultimate Alliance 2 it's simple stuff, if she dies, she has a skill that has a chance of resurrecting her, and her attacks have fire effect.

Not that you'll need it resurrection much, for most of the game, Jean can casually crush everything in the game, she's at least top 2.

I'd say it's only in the final levels that she has a higher chance of dying, ice throwing enemies are brutal, and it's better to play a bit more defensively in a few area because Jean can die quickly in those final levels.

The game lets you bring 4 characters so it might be a better choice to use her less, Thor is a good idea since he's the other who's at least top 2 and has resistance to elements, Storm isn't as strong but also has elemental resistance (Maybe it's even immunity? It's been a while...), or you can just pick Iceman and have immunity to the ice throwing enemies, it's not necessary to switch around, but it does make it easier.

In Marvel vs Capcom 3, her powers are all about Phoenix, and she can do plenty of stuff like teleporting, throwing projectiles, flying, laying traps and whatever, and other great stuff like having sword sized normal attacks for a characters who doesn't even use one, her only weakness is that she can be killed in a few hits.

Dark Phoenix is what made her infamous, since DP is the most busted character in the game (Almost everything that makes Jean strong is given steroids basically) and could kill entire teams in seconds (It's a 3vs3 fighter), players got booed for using her in tournaments, funny **** lol.

She got plenty of nerfs in the Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 re-release and isn't considered one of the most dominant characters anymore (Dark Phoenix still is the strongest character if you get to use her, but there are more stuff to counter her from even being used and some of her stuff got nerfed, plus more characters have a better chance against her), funnily enough, while I think she got underrated for a few years, more recent tier lists I've been checking tend to say Jean is at least top 4 (I've seen at least one top player say she's the third strongest character, that's a huge claim), explicitly being put alongside the game's other God Tiers, so imagine that, a character so busted she's got nerfed and is still among the god tiers lol.

Guess that's enough of a Jean in a few games info dump nobody asked for .

It just goes to show you that as far as the general public goes, Jean is Phoenix and vice versa.
    Yeah, and with so many adaptations having Jean with the Phoenix, it'd take a while for people to even consider anyone else as a major user for Phoenix Force, if a new movie uses another character as the Phoenix, chances are general public will be weirded out lol.

That reminds me, I remember the Chief Creative Director of Epic Games teased and later introduced Jean as Dark Phoenix to Fortnite. I only remember it because people made such a big deal and kept messaging me about it. Mustard hinted at this a few weeks prior to the release with the following charming tweet:

Tweet: https://twitter.com/DonaldMustard/st...28809206943746
    Now I'm wondering if Jean has an alternate costume where she's wearing jeans as a reference to this tweet lol.

I'm terrible at remembering issue #'s and such.
    So am I, it's part of the reason I double check stuff so much.

Hell the issue where Spidey asks to marry MJ for the first time, despite me reading it a few times, I don't know the exact issue where it happens, I have an idea of where it happened now (Around ASM#180), but I needed to actively try to remember at least that, before it was basically "It happened at some point between ASM#160 and ASM#200", yeah...

Oh gawd, lmao.
    You thought Beyond Omega mutants were strong? Now Marvel will be introducing... Beyonder Omega .
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    Don’t make me feel old by pointing out how long ago that was. Lol It feels like yesterday not many, many years ago. For me, that’s when the omega label lost meaning when characters like Emma and Betsy were described as such. No offense to either character, but I just don’t see them being on that level. Writers lost sight of the concept and abused it.

While I disagree with Hickman placing Jean as only an omega telepath I did like that he had streamlined the concept. Of course then they went and added more omegas. They just can’t stop expanding the list. I wish we would get an updated data page one day with all the Arrako ones.
    We're all getting old; the years start coming and they don't stop coming lol

For me, Hickman's definition didn't seem scientific or thought-out enough to be really definitive. One example, how do we know Forge is at the top of the "inventing things" power chain. How does one even calculate that? Nevermind mind the Jean-targeted "one power is omega" thing.

Random thought before I hit the sack:

What I love most about what Gillen is doing with Jean in Judgment Day is that he’s making her a central figure in the crucial mission during the event’s climax. I mean, the exploration of her relationship with the Phoenix Force is obviously intriguing and makes one’s head spin with the possibilities, but said exploration is really only a consequence of her, along with Iron Man and Ajak, attempting to shut down the Progenitor Celestial. This, coupled with the fact that he wants to explore what makes Jean human, along with superhuman, by conducting a “deep-dive personal horrorshow” via a “dungeon-delve-as-psychogeography hell trip” is what I'm most excited about. Incidentally, this indicates that she may be one of the last mutants standing and one of the only ones skilled enough and capable of undertaking such a mission.

The wait until October is going to be brutal.

These essential issues will spotlight Iron Man, Jean Grey, and Ajak as they embark on a vital and complex mission to penetrate the Progenitor Celestial and shut it down, facing their ultimate judgment every step of the way.

I wanted JUDGMENT DAY to be a huge scale event book, but also really be absolutely about the people in it — that's Marvel comics to me,” Gillen said. “When we say 'superhuman,' we mean both 'super' and 'human.' These specials really drill down on that, giving a deep-dive personal horrorshow for the three sides in the crossover, centered on one of their main players: Tony Stark, Jean Grey and Ajak. With their history, can they really justify themselves? Let's find out, in this dungeon-delve-as-psychogeography hell trip.
    Source: https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...en-key-endgame
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

To be clear, I completely understand where you're coming from. Hell, my initial reflexive response was to defend Jean's status as the most powerful telepath, so I really do understand. Furthermore, I understand the point you made regarding Ewing's framing of Ororo's statement and all that it may have entailed. However, I chose not to remain in that space for the reasons I've already mentioned in my previous posts, i.e., 1) Jean is listed as an Omega Level Telepath and Xavier is not; 2) Ororo didn't make an absolute statement—she said "perhaps"—but even if she had, she doesn't have the requisite knowledge or power to positively determine who is the most powerful and who is not; and 3) most importantly, it's toxic to me.

This isn't specifically directed at you or anyone else, for that matter, but I simply cannot allow myself to get bogged down by pessimism or, at worst, bitterness over a character that has undergone and will continue to undergo myriad changes. The best I can do for this character and myself is to celebrate her and have fun. I see some truly toxic people in this forum (thankfully, not the majority) who are willing to denigrate, disparage, and even mischaracterize characters, their fans, and the creatives charged with handling them all because of their own toxic overidentification with and need to lift up another character or other. And frankly, I thank god that I'm not, or at least strive not to be, so sad, small, and petty. Ultimately, there's so much more to life than these comic books and characters.

Lastly, I'm genuinely happy with where Jean is currently and where I've been told she's going. I choose to focus on the excitement that generates in me, along with the excitement I feel contemplating the prospects of the unknown, rather than trying to predict what will happen. The posters I've criticized in this thread have usually been posters who repeatedly post nothing but negative takes and opinions here. Obviously, everyone is within their rights to share their negative takes and opinions here, but when that's all that they do over and over, time and again, I honestly don't see or get the point. It also affects other posters who come to this thread—an appreciation thread—to have fun and celebrate their love for this character.

Thank you for the clarification! I genuinely forgot about the Frenzy "caveat." As for the other panel I posted, good point!
    Thank you for your reply, and I appreciate your POV (and others) :-)

Jean needs to show Carol who's BOSS, lol!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

It's a rather ugly cover.
    WTF are Mystique and Sersi doing...fighting for the women's Boxing championship belt? And Scott Cap and that person seem to be in a three-way WW match.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Quick question: Can someone provide me with the context for these declarations from Wolverine vol 2 #114 and Uncanny X-Men vol 1 #519? In the first, the narrator refers to Jean as “the most powerful psi-talent on the planet,” while in the second, Scott refers to Jean as “the most powerful telepath the world has ever known.”

A fan just shuffled these across my desk and asked, but I'm extremely busy right now, otherwise I'd dig in. Thanks in advance! 😘

Quick question: Can someone provide me with the context for these declarations from Wolverine vol 2 #114 and Uncanny X-Men vol 1 #519? In the first, the narrator refers to Jean as “the most powerful psi-talent on the planet,” while in the second, Scott refers to Jean as “the most powerful telepath the world has ever known.”

A fan just shuffled these across my desk and asked, but I'm extremely busy right now, otherwise I'd dig in. Thanks in advance! ��

My memory may be a little fuzzy but the first is just a story where Jean fights Ogun on the shadow plane. The descriptor is just part of the narration.

The 2nd Cyclops manages to put the void in a black box in a room in his mind. He thanks Jean for teaching him that trick. From what I recall Emma didnt know what the black box was, couldnt even touch it or penetrate it.
    Last edited by Tank; 06-30-2022 at 01:18 PM.

A fan just shuffled these across my desk and asked, but I'm extremely busy right now, otherwise I'd dig in. Thanks in advance! ��
    Hi Mercury,

Sorry, I did not read those issues. But it is great to hear Jean mentioned so positively as #1 from long ago!!

I think Tank is correct. I do remember hearing something about Jean telling Cyclops how to make a black box in his mind that very few people could enter it and also of Emma not knowing what it was, how to enter it or even who put it there.

Ah yes, Jean not only has the power and experience, but the skills as well!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    It's a rather ugly cover.
    WTF are Mystique and Sersi doing...fighting for the women's Boxing championship belt? And Scott Cap and that person seem to be in a three-way WW match.
    Totally agree about this cover. The more art they preview for this "event" the less interested I become in the whole thing. Bleh.

If memory serves correct, the Wolverine scan is from Ogun. This took place shortly after the Onslaught Saga, when Charles Xavier was depowered. Thus, since writers had been declaring Jean second to Xavier around this time, she took his place for the time that he was unavailable until his powers returned.

The second scan took place shortly after Dark Reign. Cyclops was helping save Emma Frost from being taken over by a sliver of the Void, a dark alternate persona from one of the most powerful meta humans on the planet, the Sentry. During the process, the Void decided to jump ship and possess Cyclops instead of Emma Frost. Cyclops remembered the Black Box, a telepathic resistance measure powerful enough to keep telepaths as powerful as Emma Frost out. It was taught to him by Jean Grey and was what ultimately was used to contain the Void permanently. The mention of Jean Grey as the most powerful was to denote why something as powerful as the Void would be contained by a non-psychic when a powerful psychic like Emma Frost could not contain it.

Quote Originally Posted by PyroFN View Post
    If memory serves correct, the Wolverine scan is from Ogun. This took place shortly after the Onslaught Saga, when Charles Xavier was depowered. Thus, since writers had been declaring Jean second to Xavier around this time, she took his place for the time that he was unavailable until his powers returned.

The second scan took place shortly after Dark Reign. Cyclops was helping save Emma Frost from being taken over by a sliver of the Void, a dark alternate persona from one of the most powerful meta humans on the planet, the Sentry. During the process, the Void decided to jump ship and possess Cyclops instead of Emma Frost. Cyclops remembered the Black Box, a telepathic resistance measure powerful enough to keep telepaths as powerful as Emma Frost out. It was taught to him by Jean Grey and was what ultimately was used to contain the Void permanently. The mention of Jean Grey as the most powerful was to denote why something as powerful as the Void would be contained by a non-psychic when a powerful psychic like Emma Frost could not contain it.
    Hah, I remember seeing a scan with this black box months ago, and I thought it was around only as an excuse over why someone could kidnap Cyke and not learn too much crucial information (The black box is where he stores important information like coordinates and whatever), didn't think it was gonna be used later on to seal up a part of the Void in his head, that's awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then