Page 27 of 473 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777127 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Of all the costumes Jean Grey has worn over the years this is the only one I hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    Then we already saw most of what it looks like. Basically her gala look without the train and her back covered up, rounded shoulders and no morrison x boots. I kinda wish Russell did a different cut for the belly area I dont like that straight across look. And I wish more yellow would be added as it’s a little green heavy.

Really hate how phil noto draws it though. She and the the rest of the xmen look like cosplay midgets.
    Her back may or may not be covered up. It's hard to tell from that one drawing of her back.

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    Of all the costumes Jean Grey has worn over the years this is the only one I hate.
    Oh, lord, why?
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

I’m glad we are getting a modified Gala look for Jean. It really combines elements from her best costumes. At least she will look modern. I agree that the debut will be in Devil’s Reign. I wonder if we will get an explanation for the change or if it will just happen (mutant clothes).

I would add more yellow to the costume because as mentioned before it is heavy on the green.

Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    Also where would her new look debut this month? She wasnt in xmen, and she is barely in 7 from what I recall. I would find it strange that they debut her new look in anything other than her core book x-Men.
    X-Men: Devil's Reign 1. You can see it in the previews Mercury posted below.

My speculation of what I think happened here is that it was originally supposed to debut in X-Men 8 (the one where M.O.D.O.K. is shown holding the mask on the cover) and then show up in Devil's Reign later.
    But then printer delays happened and the X-Men issues got pushed back so X-Men 8 is now coming out mid-February.
    X-Men: Devil's Reign did not get pushed back as much because it is supposed to be a tie-in to the Devil's Reign event being published right now.

Finally, it seems the sketch Larraz drew of her and tweeted a few weeks ago is from an upcoming X-Men issue. I absolutely love how he drew the headpiece. And her face. So fucking good.

Me too! The headpiece gives me Wonder Woman vibes (as it should) while still paying tribute to 90’s Jean. The glowing hair and perfect face are glorious!

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Soul View Post
    She used it on Excalibur #1 on a gate, then #5 against Apocalypse. I don't remember if she used it again after that story, while she was still with that team.
    So at most she used it 2 years ago.

Seems like the kind of power she generally doesn't have much of a reason to use, but she uses it when it's necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by The Agent of Chaos View Post
    It is especially weird since the marketing for the movie literally promoted the premise to be about Jean's dark side. It seems that most people are really confused about the basic premise of the saga.
    Yeah, Dark Phoenix is known for Phoenix being evil, impressions like that stick, even if told otherwise lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

The Red Dragon

Finally, it seems the sketch Larraz drew of her and tweeted a few weeks ago is from an upcoming X-Men issue. I absolutely love how he drew the headpiece. And her face. So fucking good.

I thought this was just like a practice sketch he modeled after an italian singer. Was there a a follow up post indicating it’s interiors for an issue?

This, I suspect, is part of a cover of an upcoming issue of X-Men.
    Most likely X-Men 10 or X-Men 11, but it could be X-Men 12 as well depending on how early Pepe Larraz draws the covers.

BANNED

Her back may or may not be covered up. It's hard to tell from that one drawing of her back.

Oh, lord, why?
    Like the majority of the Gala outfits, none of them visually appealed to me... Jean's on the other hand I simply hated on sight.
    Last edited by Micabe; 01-10-2022 at 09:34 PM.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

I have some potentially big news, everyone.

First, Gerry just liked this tweet of mine:

https://twitter.com/Jean_RED_Grey/st...59411924312071

(Never give up hope.)

Secondly, there's speculation that he just confirmed Jean's costume change...

https://twitter.com/GerryDuggan/stat...93251212382209

(Patience is a virtue.)
    Ugh, as I commented in the other thread if they already had a new costume ready what was the point of trolling fans or really any of this?

Just saw Duggan's tweet!

I also first read it as it being the gala look, but the "debuts this month" and the part at the end "It's Russell so you know it's the fantastic newness" made it sound to me like it's a new design. If it's the gala one we have already seen it, so there's no need to tease like that (as if he's saying "It's Russell so you know it'll be awesome", plus using the word "newness").

Anyone else thinks it looks like she has bare shoulders in this? I know the gala costume also has the "X" at her chest, but it's all the same piece as the collar and the rest of the top part with the shoulder pads and all. But here, there's no metallic texture in her shoulders or the X.

Anyway, I hope the look is gala inspired but not just the same without the trail.

There have been two previews with her wearing it. One is from Devil's Reign #1 and the other, I assume, is from X-Men. I can't say I love the Devil's Reign depiction--the light green is too light and the headpiece too prominent--but I'm sure it'll look great otherwise.

In this pic it kinda looks to me like she might be showing her wardrobe change to the team? I'm now imagining her asking their opinions about it, like if she should wear the gala look, stick to the dress, or get a new one lol.
    Last edited by Wiccan; 01-10-2022 at 10:07 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    Ugh, as I commented in the other thread if they already had a new costume ready what was the point of trolling fans or really any of this?
    Oh trolling Jean is a pastime. You probably remember fake-outs to make people think she was coming back while she was dead lol. And peeps at Marvel dumped on her a time or two in interviews during the Emma/Scott heyday. It's just the thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Just saw Duggan's tweet!

I also first read it as it being the gala look, but the "debuts this month" and the part at the end "It's Russell so you know it's the fantastic newness" made it sound to me like it's a new design. If it's the gala one we have already seen it, so there's no need to tease like that (as if he's saying "It's Russell so you know it'll be awesome", plus using the word "newness").
    To be honest, Duggan hypes everything regarding upcoming developments in his X-Men book to high heaven, so it's difficult to say.
    I think Dauterman did design a new costume (as in he drew up a new costume design sheet for Jean), it's just that the new costume is heavily based on the Hellfire Gala costume with changes made to shift it from something one wears to a formal function to something one wears as an active superhero.

From what I can tell, the changes Dauterman made from his Gala design: the train, the high heels and the floating headpiece are gone (these make sense for a formal gala setting but not for an action superhero setting), her back is covered up with armor (again, gala vs superhero) and her neck-piece has been subtly readjusted. (It's hard to tell from Noto interiors, we have to wait for the design sheet from Dauterman).

Also, there's apparently another Hellfire Gala in late June where Jean and Scott get to announce the second iteration of their X-Men team.
    I don't think this one will be as big as the previous Hellfire Gala, but if they are doing new Gala costumes, I can see Dauterman asking for the opportunity to draw (more) new costumes for Jean and Storm.

Anyone else thinks it looks like she has bare shoulders in this? I know the gala costume also has the "X" at her chest, but it's all the same piece as the collar and the rest of the top part with the shoulder pads and all. But here, there's no metallic texture in her shoulders or the X.
    This drawing is only half-complete, when Larraz tweeted it he said that he was currently working on it.
    You can see that he has only filled in the shading until her neck, the chest-piece has been outlined in pencil but not shaded in yet.
    Presumably the final piece will have the metallic texture go all the way down her chest and shoulders.

In this pic it kinda looks to me like she might be showing her wardrobe change to the team? I'm now imagining her asking their opinions about it, like if she should wear the gala look, stick to the dress, or get a new one lol.
    That'll be funny, but I think Devil's Reign takes place at a point in time after the current X-Men arc, it's just the screwed up publishing schedule that makes it seem otherwise.
    You'll notice that Cyclops doesn't seem to be Captain Krakoa in this preview either, he's reclaimed his Cyclops identity.

I think the timeline is something like this:
    X-Men 6 / X-Men 7 (only 10 Quiet Council members) > Inferno (Destiny and Colossus join the QC) > XLoW / XDoW (Jean is still in her old costume) > X-Men 8 (Jean switches to new costume, Captain Krakoa switches back to Cyclops?) > Devil Reign: X-Men

As to what's actually happening in this preview scene, I think Jean and Scott might be trying to convince the other team members to take the gateway back to Krakoa.
    In Devil's Reign, Mayor Kingpin has outlawed superheroes operating in New York and has sent his Thunderbolts to arrest all New York-based superheros.
    Doctor Octopus has already raided the Baxter Building in Devil's Reign 1.
    In the extended preview for this issue, you can see USAgent show up at the Treehouse to arrest the X-Men.
    My guess as to how the rest of it goes - Jean and Scott, feeling protective of their team, asks them to go back to Krakoa where they have diplomatic immunity, the team refuses, they want to stay and fight because it is the right thing to do, they fight the Thunderbolts, they beat the Thunderbolts, and so on ...

Quote Originally Posted by alanyoung909 View Post
    To be honest, Duggan hypes everything regarding upcoming developments in his X-Men book to high heaven, so it's difficult to say.
    I think Dauterman did design a new costume (as in he drew up a new costume design sheet for Jean), it's just that the new costume is heavily based on the Hellfire Gala costume with changes made to shift it from something one wears to a formal function to something one wears as an active superhero.

From what I can tell, the changes Dauterman made from his Gala design: the train, the high heels and the floating headpiece are gone (these make sense for a formal gala setting but not for an action superhero setting), her back is covered up with armor (again, gala vs superhero) and her neck-piece has been subtly readjusted. (It's hard to tell from Noto interiors, we have to wait for the design sheet from
    Of course be hypes up things, but it did really feel to me that he's talking as if it's something people haven't seen, and it it's the same there is really no need to talk about its newness when it's literally not new. Not saying tjat can't be the case but if so I'll just consider his tweet misleading and poorly worded.

I also don't get the logic that they would have Dauterman do "new design sheets" when there's already those for the gala and you just have to say "draw it without the trail and heels".

There's no "neckpiece being subtly reatjusted" or whatever in the preview. It's just the design we have in Noto's artstyle. There's either a new costume or there's not, I don't get why you're trying to create this middle ground. I don't mean that as in that it can't have similarities to be considered a new outfit, just that what we see in these pages isn't "based on the gala design", it literally is it.

I also doubt Captain Krakoa is going away so soon. Most likely Devil's Reign is before it, or he's forced to stop by the council for a while. But I feel like it's gonna be a major thing.
    Last edited by Wiccan; 01-11-2022 at 12:19 AM.

#TeamPinkPhoenixEffectin2022