Page 111 of 473 FirstFirst ... 1161101107108109110111112113114115121161211 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,665 of 7090

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Soul View Post
    Yep. In some of the panels of the DPS, the Phoenix crest is taking almost the entire area of her torso.

I really don't know if it was intentional, but I wish it was because that'd be a great example of how the art can help telling the story, which is one of the advantages of the comic book medium. Pretty cool.
    It had to be considering Byrne was the artist on all the issues of the DPS and its direct lead up. He is he one that exaggerated DPS' look and made it different from when he drew her as regular Phoenix. That was a choice

Yep. In some of the panels of the DPS, the Phoenix crest is taking almost the entire area of her torso.

I really don't know if it was intentional, but I wish it was because that'd be a great example of how the art can help telling the story, which is one of the advantages of the comic book medium. Pretty cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    It had to be considering Byrne was the artist on all the issues of the DPS and its direct lead up. He is he one that exaggerated DPS' look and made it different from when he drew her as regular Phoenix. That was a choice
    I feel that it was intentional because while the rest of the costume stayed the same except for color, those 2 things changed.

Actually, a third thing changed which is part of 2 and that is the black background. I also personally feel that the black background for the Phoenix on the green costume symbolized control, connectedness, harmony of mind and spirit, etc.
    Last edited by Phoenixx9; 03-15-2022 at 01:09 PM.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

Sure. But the original design wasn't his. Maybe he just didn't like the black part and preferred the crest to be bigger. Maybe it didn't have any meaning for him other than an aesthetic preference, you know? That's what I meant.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I feel that it was intentional because while the rest of the costume stayed the same except for color, those 2 things changed. I also personally feel that the black background for the Phoenix on the green costume symbolized control, connectedness, harmony of mind and spirit, etc.
    Yep. It's like it's centered at the heart chakra. It's balanced.

Triangles are both inflexible and primordial. Quite meaningful, actually. :)

The giant Phoenix symbol on Dark Phoenix' costume is definitely intentional. It actually starts out really small when Phoenix first debuts and slowly grows over time, eventually breaking free of the black triangle containing it.

Sure. But the original design wasn't his. Maybe he just didn't like the black part and preferred the crest to be bigger. Maybe it didn't have any meaning for him other than an aesthetic preference, you know? That's what I meant.

Yep. It's like it's centered at the heart chakra. It's balanced.

Triangles are both inflexible and primordial. Quite meaningful, actually.
    If that was the case, then why did he keep the triangle and the crest small when she was regular Phoenix? He made a distinct choice to differentiate it when she went dark

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    The giant Phoenix symbol on Dark Phoenix' costume is definitely intentional. It actually starts out really small when Phoenix first debuts and slowly grows over time, eventually breaking free of the black triangle containing it.
    This. The Phoenix symbol and triangle wre still small in UXM 114 when the X-men 'died'. By the time we see Jean wearing it in UXM, 125, the symbol has gotten bigger and its commented by Moira that Jean's powers have expanded, which kinda highlight the change. In DPS, the symbol completely takes over as it grows in size and the triangle is gone and we are shown that Dark Phoenix has lost control
    Last edited by Havok83; 03-15-2022 at 02:01 PM.

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

If that was the case, then why did he keep the triangle and the crest small when she was regular Phoenix? He made a distinct choice to differentiate it when she went dark
    I'm not arguing it wasn't intentional. I simply don't know. I've never seen any of the writers, editors or artists commenting about it on an interview or something... *shrugs*

He may have kept the triangle for the Green Phoenix because it was part of Dave Cockrum's original design. As for the size of the crest itself (when comparing Green with Green or Dark with Dark), it could have been simply inconsistency of the art (tight deadlines force you to overlook small details like that) or perspective effects. Who knows?

Again: I like to think it was intentional. I just don't know it for a fact and I thought it would be better to point that out in case someone understood it that way. Jeez...

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    I always did love this story:

I want more moments like from them.

I'd really like to see a visual of the progression of this, I remember reading about how this was directly intentional.

It's also one of the things I have always loved about the Phoenix and DP costume the small changes to such a simple but elegant design.

But like so much about the Phoenix most writers and artist have reduced the idea. For example I remember Jean saying she didn't need to sleep, eat, or drink anymore as Phoenix.

Re the Phoenix chest symbol, i loved how it grew larger as Phoenix grew in power / was out of control, as the Phoenix symbol was still small when she saved the universe in the M’Krann crystal. I dont always like a big Phoenix symbol on modern Green Phoenix designs.

A rumored leak of a variant cover for X-Men: Hellfire Gala #1 by Nick Dragotta:

Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

I'm going to say it's definitely legit. It's going to look great when it's colored.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

I still have panic attacks with the MG costume. Well... that skirt and that boot... Little lazy...

lu7pjlluffv51-9056120414.jpg
    Last edited by andreikes; 03-16-2022 at 08:38 AM.

Jean on the worst dressed list?

Flat colors by fan Clare Dugmore:

Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

this hellfire gala seems uninspired. even the dresses so far seem meh.

Love the skirt and boots. Sleek, feminine and modelesque.