Page 297 of 473 FirstFirst ... 197247287293294295296297298299300301307347397 ... LastLast
Results 4,441 to 4,455 of 7090
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Starchilde View Post
    I didn't noticed he was being Phoenix-powered! lol When are writers going to stop giving her stuff to their current favorite character for gods sake.
    I thought Gillen would be above this, but to be honest it's the same old thing. Can't help themselves.

Look carefully guys the phoenix powered individual is sitting on Exodus shoulder, this is his form when powered by the belief of others as stated by sinister in the second page.

Last edited by Daedra; 06-23-2022 at 01:20 PM.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Quote Originally Posted by Portsian View Post
    Much as I enjoyed xmen 12, anyone else irritated that the intro called her Marvel Girl, when her actions were entirely that of strong independent woman.
    Okay, Portsian, I asked about this in private and also tweeted a little thread addressing it. Here's what I wrote:

Link: https://twitter.com/Jean_RED_Grey/st...63837432463360

In the roster pages for X-Men #'s 1-3 and 5, Jean is referred to as "Jean Grey," but in the remaining issues, she's referred to as "Marvel Girl." However, in issue #11, Jean declares, "I was Marvel Girl. Now I am Jean Grey,” which is a significant development by @GerryDuggan. 1/4

As Chris Claremont noted, “The use of the word ‘girl’ in ‘Marvel Girl’ is inherently pejorative” because it infantilizes Jean as a woman. Moreover, she long ago renounced the moniker and seemingly grew to consider its use offensive. One has to wonder why she reclaimed it. 2/4

Source for Claremont's quote: https://bigcomicpage.com/2018/11/28/...ont-interview/

It seems @GerryDuggan has been attempting to answer this by hinting at what Apocalypse referred to as “the divided loyalties that rend [Jean’s] soul” when pondering why “a full-fledged woman in body and mind would continue to allow everyone to call her a girl” (Claremont). 3/4
    Last edited by Mercury; 06-23-2022 at 03:04 PM.
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Ultimately, this nearly imperceptible thread of character motivation and development may prove more meaningful than is currently apparent. Perhaps Jean’s decision to reclaim a uniform and codename she shed years ago will be explored in @kierongillen’s A.X.E.: X-Men #1. 4/4
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    Look carefully guy the phoenix powered individual is sitting on Exodus shoulder, this is his form when powered by the belief of others as stated by sinister in the second page.

Oooooh! Thanks for pointing that out. I definitely needed to look closer.

The Red Dragon

Why are Storm fans so..what’s the world insecure?

There’s no argument about the pink form. Teen jean was just a younger adult jean and adult Jean gained all her memories and experiences from her younger self that had been locked away up until that point in Extermination.

The freaking head editor corroborates this by saying she can still do it but hasnt chosen to.

Jean being powerful doesnt take away from Storm, but some Storm fans are just so petty/insecure. I can’t.

Of course the denials of what the intention will come, certain fans will always turn things into a chest puffing contest. Because Storm needs to be the baddest bitch on the block. We know what the intent is here.
    Last edited by Tank; 06-23-2022 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    Let's not generalize people, Tank. I have quite a few friends who consider Storm their favorite character, and whether they are fans of or uninterested in Jean, they neither feel threatened by Jean nor the need to be derisive towards her or her fans. Even @butterflykyss has been open, honest, and friendly with me in our private discussions regarding why they are biased against Jean and some of her fans, and while I disagree with some of their reasons, I respect them and believe that those reasons are sincerely thought and felt.

There’s no argument about the pink form. Teen jean was just a younger adult jean and adult Jean gained all her memories and experiences from her younger self that had been locked away up until that point in Extermination.

The freaking head editor corroborates this by saying she can still do it but hasnt chosen to.
    What matters is that this is indeed the case. If others want to futilely deny or cast doubt on this fact, that reflects on them and not on reality or other people.

Jean being powerful doesnt take away from Storm.
    I completely agree.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Didn't Jean use her pink psionic form in that issue of X-Men when she, Cyclops and Storm rescued Xandra?
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

BANNED

Jean being powerful doesnt take away from Storm, but some Storm fans are just so petty/insecure. I can’t.

Of course the denials of what the intention will come, certain fans will always turn things into a chest puffing contest. Because Storm needs to be the baddest bitch on the block. We know what the intent is here.
    The thing is, the head editor didn't say Adult Jean can't use the pink form. What he said is that she looks at it like something she used to do. Which is notably not saying that she will do it in future comics.

Valerio Schiti did say she will literally shine, like literally literal. So I guess we can play the waiting game of seeing if she'll do the pink thing later again lmao.

Does DC ever minimize top 15, top 10 popular characters like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    I'd like to suggest that you lower your expectations. Honestly, I don't see Jean becoming Phoenix during Judgment Day, though I think she will kick ass. If anything, there's a good chance she will finally use her psionic energy absorption ability during this event, especially if we consider the recent comment and tweet like by Valerio Schiti.
    I can't, they already baited me with that solicit lol jk (unless..) in all seriousness I'm hyped and there's some stuff that I reaaally want to see but... its's Jean and the Phoenix and if history has taught me something, is to lower my expectation when it comes to them lol

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Didn't Jean use her pink psionic form in that issue of X-Men when she, Cyclops and Storm rescued Xandra?
    Jean used her astral form in that issue, which was rendered pink.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    The thing is, the head editor didn't say Adult Jean can't use the pink form. What he said is that she looks at it like something she used to do. Which is notably not saying that she will do it in future comics.
    This is fair to point out; however, it's also important to point out that White said this after Hickman had come on board and right before HoX/PoX dropped. He may have just been alluding to the fact that she wouldn't be using it under Hickman's reign. Nevertheless, the fact of the matter is, he confirmed that psionic energy absorption is still within Jean's capabilities, which is the point.

Valerio Schiti did say she will literally shine, like literally literal. So I guess we can play the waiting game of seeing if she'll do the pink thing later again lmao.
    Have hope, Kitty! HAVE HOPE!

Does DC ever minimize top 15, top 10 popular characters like this?
    Judging by the DC and Marvel discourses I see on Twitter, fans are continuously unhappy with how their favorite characters are written and handled. This is par for the course when it comes to being a comic book fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchilde View Post
    I can't, they already baited me with that solicit lol jk (unless..) in all seriousness I'm hyped and there's some stuff that I reaaally want to see but... its's Jean and the Phoenix and if history has taught me something, is to lower my expectation when it comes to them lol
    Your reply brought to mind something I read today in a piece by Sara Century, who is a writer and avid Jean fan and was also the featured guest for CerebroCast's Jean episode. Her article is an incisive, insightful, and rather illuminating breakdown of Jean in X-Men: Evolution (see the link below). In either case, she had this to say about Jean, with which I agree:

Jean Grey isn’t always an easy character to nail down, and while she has plenty of A+ appearances over the years, it’s also true that not every writer clicks with her character. This can lead to an overall inconsistent narrative that tends to default to flashbacks of the Phoenix’s greatest hits...

Indeed, in Jean’s best moments in Evolution, it’s easy to feel that the Phoenix was a plot device that kept us from getting to know the real Jean for far too long. This version of her shines because we get to see her function on her own terms, and the Phoenix would have taken that from her in ways that writers after Chris Claremont have generally been a little too flippant about already.

Evolution’s Jean clicks with some of the most underrated aspects of her personality by never forgetting that despite her popularity and seeming perfection, she never seems to quite fit in anywhere. With her peers, she’s too mature, with the adults, she’s the teacher’s pet, with her family, she’s scary. Even with Scott, the very nature of her powers places her in the difficult position of never being fully present. Evolution succeeded in making Jean a character that seemed somehow both perfect and inherently quite flawed due to her inability to ever fully trust or depend on anyone. By showing us the foundation where Phoenix might have grown without ever going through the motions of having it actually occur, it told a better Jean Grey story than most.
    Source: https://culturalgutter.com/2022/06/2...rey-evolution/

Hm...

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Hm...

h
    Hehehehe, good things are ahead for Jean (and company)!

I love that we are getting to see Jean shine!

I certainly feel that Jean will play a big role with the Judgement Wars storyline.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

I forgot to include this little collage in my second reply to Portsian above regarding my Twitter thread on Jean's decision to renounce and reclaim the Marvel Girl codename. (This collage was included in part two of said thread):

Thread: https://twitter.com/Jean_RED_Grey/st...63837432463360