Page 371 of 473 FirstFirst ... 271321361367368369370371372373374375381421471 ... LastLast
Results 5,551 to 5,565 of 7090
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    It pains me to see my fellow fans torture themselves with anger and disappointment over depictions of their favorite characters in an event that has barely kicked off. I understand it, though. Everyone wants to see their chosen characters shine and be treated with dignity and sensitivity, which is completely understandable. I just want everyone to be happy, dammit! ::cries::
    I completely don’t care. I’m going to be happy no matter what. No one is responsible for another person’s happiness.

Judging from Gillen's quote, I also think that he needed a telepath for his storyline because he also brought up Xavier and Emma as characters from his current run he could have used instead of Jean (and not Exodus, for example).

Maybe we shouldn't expect so much of a huge telekinetic showcase of Jean's powers (also the previews seem to tease it) but a telepathic attack?

I personally prefer Jean as a telepath tbh. I just love a creative usage of her telepathic powers. I feel like her telekinetic powers have been showcased to the fullest already in her long history, but her telepathy can still be used in so much more creative & new manners.

I wished Jean would become the guardian for the astral plane like Doctor Strange is for magical and multiversal threats.
    Last edited by Exodus; 08-06-2022 at 02:03 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    Judging from Gillen's quote, I also think that he needed a telepath for his storyline because he also brought up Xavier and Emma as characters from his current run he could have used instead of Jean (and not Exodus, for example).

Maybe we shouldn't expect so much of a huge telekinetic showcase of Jean's powers (also the previews seem to tease it) but a telepathic attack?

I personally prefer Jean as a telepath tbh. I just love a creative usage of her telepathic powers. I feel like her telekinetic powers have been showcased to the fullest already in her long history, but her telepathy can still be used in so much more creative & new manners.

I wished Jean would become the guardian for the astral plane like Doctor Strange is for magical and multiversal threats.
    All Eternals have varying degrees of telepathy and telekinesis. Gillen made Jean and Exodus the mutant stars of tvjs because they are both telepath/telekinetics.

Though to tell you the truth in tbe Krakoa era Xavier has been using tk as well.

J, let me preface what I'm going to say by clarifying that I completely understand where you're coming from regarding your frustration with how Gillen has handled Jean and Ororo in this event thus far. Ideally, both of them would have been given more substantial scenes in Judgment Day #1, with Jean shown actually fighting the "Attack Flight outfitted with war armor" that invaded Krakoa, and Ororo shown reacting to the news of Uranos' invasion of Arrako. However, I choose not to consider the fact that this didn't happen as a bad omen and abstain from criticizing Gillen's choices in favor of my preferences because we're literally one issue into this event—three when counting X-Men Red #5 and Immortal X-Men #5 as tie-ins. Ultimately, it's simply too soon to cast aspersions at Gillen when we've read roughly less than ten percent of this event, including tie-ins.

As for how I would've handled the brief scene centered on Jean and Exodus that was previewed, frankly, as soon as Exodus started justifying his reason for engaging the Hex in a "challenge," I would have had Jean TK-O the f#cker before he could finish his thought, and had her finish with, "You were saying?" However, that's me, an admittedly biased fan wanting my favorite character to shine. I make it a point of keeping that side of me in check because it usually rides on the presumption that I know what's best or that I can foresee what's coming. To be clear, I don't know and can't foresee $#!+. (Remember, to assume is to make an "ass out of u and me.") In addition, adopting that kind of attitude takes me out of the story and makes what should be light, enjoyable fun a drag. I don't want to do that to myself or others. I'd much rather have faith in a writer that has proven himself—to me, at least—to be both competent and brilliant and simply enjoy the ride.

I trust that Gillen's comments on and descriptions of Jean—i.e., that she is "really interesting," "iconic," "incredibly powerful," and "known even to people who don't read comics"—are indicative of how he will handle her throughout the course of this event. That being said, is it possible that this whole thing will turn out to be a huge disappointment for me as a Jean fan? Of course it's possible, but I'd rather trust him, be optimistic and, as I said above, enjoy the ride. And I say that knowing that there will probably be a dozen or so plot beats that I will end up thinking I would have done differently and could have done better, as pretentious as that is of me to say. Ultimately, however, whether this event turns out to be the most brilliant thing to happen to the franchise since Hickman's HoX/PoX or the worst thing since the decimation, the Earth will continue to spin, new stories and character developments will continue to be written, and all will be well. Overall, the franchise, Jean, and Ororo are each in a good place, and while improvements can be made on all fronts, I'm choosing to enjoy the moment.
    I just don't get why jean doing something, anything is shining. If Gillien had Exodus walk into the sun then why is it shining for jean to use her power in a moment she is right there and mutants and her husband are being attacked. I get where your coming from but we disagree on a fundamental level so I'm going to leave it alone. Jean being jean and not a narrator is not shining to me it's jean being who she is. I will not mention imx or judgement again until this event is over.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

I trust that Gillen's comments on and descriptions of Jean—i.e., that she is "really interesting," "iconic," "incredibly powerful," and "known even to people who don't read comics"—are indicative of how he will handle her throughout the course of this event.
    Jean Grey became Phoenix because she sacrificed for her friends… and several times later, she did exactly the same thing…

The authors cannot change that in her character: it’s a consistency that helps to make her three-dimensional.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Spectacular Member

how about wait for the event to actually happen before complaining lol. I just don't see the point in bitching until there is an actual reason to do so. it could turn out to be absolutely amazing for jean and there would be no reason to be mad, or it ends up as trash and we all feel like rioting. Point is, we won't know until we see what happens. so just sit back and let it unfold before passing judgement
    Last edited by Marvelfan1992; 08-06-2022 at 04:32 AM.

All-New Member

I’m 100% sure Jean will have some powerful moments during this event but the criticism with how she’s often portrayed and utilized is valid because she’s never really living up to her potentia and a lot of her “shining” moments this era have been somewhat lackluster or repetitive so the criticism and doubt is fair tbh

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I just don't get why jean doing something, anything is shining. If Gillien had Exodus walk into the sun then why is it shining for jean to use her power in a moment she is right there and mutants and her husband are being attacked. I get where your coming from but we disagree on a fundamental level so I'm going to leave it alone. Jean being jean and not a narrator is not shining to me it's jean being who she is. I will not mention imx or judgement again until this event is over.
    Again, the only thing I can say in response to this is: Let's wait until Gillen has gotten at least one-fourth of the way through this event before we decide what his intentions are.
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

I started this reply but I'm late to finish it, but anywho...

(Speaking generally, not just for this current A.X.E. event)
    I don't think it's fair to try to muzzle or tone-police how people express their takeaways. I mean, yes things can be taken to unnecessary extremes, but to jump on every take that is not 100% cheerful? I think it's helpful to not just be an echo chamber and to allow differing POVs.

People are speculating because things have just kicked off and it's all we have to go on so far...and people's outlook run the range from optimistic, to satisfied, to cautiously optimistic, to worried, to disappointed simply because there's enough of a track record across the decades to get a feel of how things might trend for Jean for this event, to warrant each of those takeaways.

Lastly, a critique is not automatically a bash, and it's not an attack on Jean(as a character), it's an observation on how Jean is USED (or just as crucially, NOT USED).

Quote Originally Posted by Omega_DCD View Post

I don't think it's fair to try to muzzle or tone-police how people express their takeaways. I mean, yes things can be taken to unnecessary extremes, but to jump on every take that is not 100% cheerful? I think it's helpful to not just be an echo chamber and to allow differing POVs.

People are speculating because things have just kicked off and it's all we have to go on so far...and people's outlook run the range from optimistic, to satisfied, to cautiously optimistic, to worried, to disappointed simply because there's enough of a track record across the decades to get a feel of how things might trend for Jean for this event, to warrant each of those takeaways.

Lastly, a critique is not automatically a bash, and it's not an attack on Jean(as a character), it's an observation on how Jean is USED (or just as crucially, NOT USED).
    I am not sure if this post is directed at me and some of my responses, but to be clear, I am not policing people's takeaways or opinions. In fact, I am trying to allay people's fears and worries. Also, I am certainly not accusing people of "bash[ing]" or "attack[ing]" Jean. Admittedly, I have pointed out when certain users repeatedly share negative takes and opinions and nothing else in her appreciation thread, but that's just my observation. That being said, like you, I believe everyone is entitled to share their thoughts and opinions.
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Omega_DCD View Post

I could be wrong but pretty sure that no one expects everything to be 100 percent cheerful. The issue is when the same endlessly complain about everything. Quite clearly nothing is going to make them happy and that is not the fault of other fans or Marvel. And that is what it is. I’m not bothered by it to that degree, but I have seen it stop other people from posting.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelfan1992 View Post
    how about wait for the event to actually happen before complaining lol. I just don't see the point in bitching until there is an actual reason to do so. it could turn out to be absolutely amazing for jean and there would be no reason to be mad, or it ends up as trash and we all feel like rioting. Point is, we won't know until we see what happens. so just sit back and let it unfold before passing judgement
    Those of of who are generally optimistic and who generally like Marvel should continue to do so snd not let the unhappiness of others affect us. It has nothing to do with us.

Rumblings:

“Jean is in [JD 2] a lot.”

The Red Dragon

Rumblings:

“Jean is in [JD 2] a lot.”
    How else are the teams going to keep in contact? Jk jk.

I still have hope…. ��

The Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I kind of agree with this take.