Page 39 of 473 FirstFirst ... 293536373839404142434989139 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    lol. Thanks, Starchilde!

Okay, so, on to other matters. It seems some of you weren't pleased with Jean's appearances this week...

Well, I loved each one. As I wrote on Twitter:

I was fed unparalleled Omega Level telepath, “anchor,” guide, and friend; shrewd and astute ally and leader; and “the first of the Festal Order”—the fabulously demonic Crimson Countess—all in one day.

The power, the versatility, the sublimity…::chef's kiss::

Life of Wolverine #1 - This Marvel Unlimited exclusive Infinity Comic was a pleasant surprise. Jean appears in and narrates the story, in which she explores Logan's past, his thoughts, feelings, and memories, in order to understand "what made him who he is today." From what I understand, this will be a 10-part companion piece to X Lives/X Deaths of Wolverine and, presumably, Jean will narrate the whole event. (By the way, Jean is not treated as a love interest in either this or X Lives of Wolverine.)
    I'm telling you guys: for someone who is supposed to have perfect recollection, Jean's lapses of memories are kind of endearing. :)

"OMG! This level of trust! Unheard of"! :P

Girl... Seriously? You don't remember this? :D

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelboy1974 View Post
    Welcome home, Mercury! Can someone paint the X above her breasts gold and color in her boots? Also get rid of the cape and floating thingies? You may have to find a higher resolution of the image.
    Thank you, love! I'm happy to be back. It was an interesting week for Jean, and I was itching to share my thoughts!
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

X Lives of Wolverine #1 - I absolutely loved this. As I wrote in the thread for this issue: It's a summer blockbuster for the winter. It was exciting, intriguing, and has me hooked. Also, I love that, despite all that's happened, ultimately, Logan considers Jean and Xavier--the two people who were first to fully embrace him, show him kindness, and take a real interest in getting to know him--family.

I appreciate that Percy is treating Jean and Logan like two people who may have once been attracted to one another but now consider each other friends/family. I look forward to seeing where this goes

The Death of Doctor Strange: X-Men/Black Knight - Despite the fact that the X-Men didn't do much, this was whimsical fun! Jean turns out to be “the first of the Festal Order”—THE CRIMSON COUNTESS—and “the petty rabble is her banquet. Upon her unholy skill, the realm has sharpened its ravening. Hers is the dominion of the mind, and therewith she feasts from afar.”

I, too, loved the name. In fact, though I prefer that she go by just Jean Grey, I actually think Crimson would make an excellent codename.

Can...

Sorry... I can't help it!

It takes my brain to other associations that only belong in fanfiction. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Soul View Post
    I'm telling you guys: for someone who is supposed to have perfect recollection, Jean's lapses of memories are kind of endearing.

"OMG! This level of trust! Unheard of"!

Girl... Seriously? You don't remember this?
    To be fair, that was a clone, albeit one containing a fragment of Jean's essence... (You know I'm always going to point this out. I'm a stickler for canon.)

Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

To be fair, that was a clone, albeit one containing a fragment of Jean's essence... (You know I'm always going to point this out. I'm a stickler for canon.)

Well, I don't consider that a clone. But even if that was a clone, the real Jean did have the same psychic rapport with Scott for over an in-story decade, so... :D

Well, I don't consider that a clone. But even if that was a clone, the real Jean did have the same psychic rapport with Scott for over an in-story decade, so...
    Oh, I believe she definitely did and does have a very special psychic rapport with Scott. Also, when Jean says about Logan, "We've shared a lot over the years, but this is so much more. A level of trust I never imagined," I believe she is just referring to "a level of trust" between her and Logan, i.e., I don't believe she's making a comparison to Scott or, for that matter, any of her other loved ones.

This panel sums up the clone issue for me. It was a clone, but contained a fragment of Jean, which is why it is hard for her to separate herself from Dark Phoenix's actions.

A cloned body yes, but also a copy of Jean’s mind and added portion of her soul/consciousness. The scan you posted describes their souls merged. My argument and others is that process between Jean and Phoenix was even more complete than the current resurrection process where it’s a cloned body and copied mind.

Though the current logic is that your soul follows the copy of the mind so in my view while Jean was healing most of her was in the Phoenix body but even with the retcon a part of her was there in the Phoenix body with her copied mind so in essence she was sort of split until Inferno. That is also canon but it gets confused due to numerous interpretations by numerous writers. It’s easy to say Phoenix impersonated her than to get into the weeds of what actually happened as shown in the classic backstories and Inferno.

Oh, I believe she definitely did and does have a very special psychic rapport with Scott. Also, when Jean says about Logan, "We've shared a lot over the years, but this is so much more. A level of trust I never imagined," I believe she is just referring to "a level of trust" between her and Logan, i.e., I don't believe she's making a comparison to Scott or, for that matter, any of her other loved ones.

This panel sums up the clone issue for me. It was a clone, but contained a fragment of Jean, which is why it is hard for her to separate herself from Dark Phoenix's actions.

Oh, I didn't think she was comparing it with her rapport with Scott in specific. I just think it's curious someone who has shared a much stronger connection with another mind would feel this impressed by her role in the current event.

As for the clone thing... that's a much longer discussion. MechaJeanix's post above sums it up well.

BANNED

I don't mind Jean guiding Wolverine, and I do love their connection in general of course, but I hope she gets to show character and do something in this event. One would forget Jean is a powerful action hero the way this era regards her, save a couple of issues in X-Force early on.
    Last edited by Kitty&Piotr<3; 01-20-2022 at 08:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    I don't mind Jean guiding Wolverine, and I do love their connection in general of course, but I hope she gets to show character and do something in this event. One would forget Jean is a powerful action hero the way this era regards her, save a couple of issues in X-Force early on.

I agree. I want to see Jean in more action roles. I’m hoping we see more of that in Duggan’s book.
    I also wasn’t bothered by Jean’s role in Wolverine. I like that they are close. It is good to have friends and in the books Cyke doesn’t appear to be bothered by the friendship or whatever is going on between them.

I hope Jean gets a better role in the Wolverine event, but sometimes it’s just ok to be included.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    I don't think anyone minds her guiding Logan, Kitty. They've been close friends for many years, why wouldn't he trust her to help him out? Why would she refuse to help him out?

It makes sense that it is her. But I don't actually mind if she doesn't do much in the story. It's not about her, after all. As long as they don't screw up her characterization/history, I'm good.

Devil's Reign #1 - I'll just paste here what I wrote in the thread for this issue:

Devil’s Reign: X-Men #1 (2022) is another hit. Jean’s sarcasm, shrewdness, and cool resolve are just…::chef's kiss:: Her amicable exchange with Emma was also great. Frankly, I’d like to see more moments like this between the two. #XSpoilers

https://twitter.com/Jean_RED_Grey/st...70386886111239

So far, 196 people agree with me... The fact that people actually think Jean was serious when referring to Kingpin as Mayor both puzzles me and makes me lmao. As for her being a pacifist, I think she made it pretty clear to Fisk that he wasn't getting through the gate. As she noted, "I'd rather pick my battles."

Anyway, this was a solid issue and set up some intriguing things for both Emma and the rest of the X-Men. And again, I appreciate how Duggan wrote Jean and Emma in this. It would be great if he uses this event to flesh out their relationship and maybe even solidify a friendship. I can envision Duggan using Jean to help Emma in some way by the end of this arc.

Also, I loved this moment between Jean and Emma. It was a small but telling exchange.

Welcome back! It wasn’t the same around here without ya. I’m playing catch up right now as I’m at work and on my phone. I was also shocked at the reaction to Jean’s line in this book. Yikes at what I saw on Twitter. People can be so literal that they miss sarcasm or when characters are being facetious. I loved Jean’s look. I like Noto’s art. I don’t mind the “same face” as much as others. I just like the facial expressions I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    Welcome back! It wasn’t the same around here without ya. I’m playing catch up right now as I’m at work and on my phone. I was also shocked at the reaction to Jean’s line in this book. Yikes at what I saw on Twitter. People can be so literal that they miss sarcasm or when characters are being facetious. I loved Jean’s look. I like Noto’s art. I don’t mind the “same face” as much as others. I just like the facial expressions I guess.
    What reaction to what line? I'm not on Twitter. I don't think I'm sane enough to deal with the level of lunacy of that platform. But I'm curious: what happened over there?

Oh, I didn't think she was comparing it with her rapport with Scott in specific. I just think it's curious someone who has shared a much stronger connection with another mind would feel this impressed by her role in the current event.
    Frankly, I think she is just taken aback by reaching a new level of trust and platonic intimacy with Logan, with whom she has already experienced profound levels of trust and intimacy, spanning life, death, the end of time, and alternate universes. I also think she's taken aback by the fact that he is willing to allow her so deeply into his mind. She knows how private and defensive he generally is.

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    Thank you, love! As evidenced by the reactions to my tweet, I think more people looked favorably upon Jean's appearance and interaction with Emma than not.

What reaction to what line? I'm not on Twitter. I don't think I'm sane enough to deal with the level of lunacy of that platform. But I'm curious: what happened over there?
    I think MechaJeanix is referring to Jean insisting that Kingpin be referred to as Mayor. Some people thought she was serious. However, I and quite a few other people saw it for what it is: sarcasm.