Page 8 of 473 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    X-Men Forever is irrelevant to this discussion as thats not referenced in the current era. Xavier wrote the HOX data entry, which is what I was going on. Again, Im not saying he created the term omega mutant or originator of it ever being defined, but that the current definition that is now being used came from him
    Or Cerebro. Perhaps Cerebro noted, "Mutant has an undefinable upper limit in [insert power classification]," no?
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Or Cerebro. Perhaps Cerebro noted, "Mutant has an undefinable upper limit in [insert power classification]," no?
    I mean Cerebro isnt sentient (at least current model is). All it can do is be used as a tool for a user, that being Xavier, whom determined that the definition would be. Cerebro doesnt interepret its findings; Xavier did

Astonishing Member Grinning Soul's Avatar

I was mostly playing. However, technically, Xavier didn't determine the definition of Omega Level mutants, Fred--whoever that is--did. Also, under Hickman, Cerebro seems to have determined the definition of the classification.

Perhaps FBI agent Frederick Duncan?

BANNED

If we go by what's been referenced in the current era, there isn't much about Jean's history that counts for anything lol

Quote Originally Posted by Grinning Soul View Post
    Hi, love! I just got a warm feeling seeing your username I'm glad you're still around! Also, I don't even know who Frederick Duncan is--you know how ditzy I am about these things--so please elaborate.
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Yep--that would be him!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I mean Cerebro isnt sentient (at least current model is). All it can do is be used as a tool for a user, that being Xavier, whom determined that the definition would be. Cerebro doesnt interepret its findings; Xavier did
    Cerebro provides findings, though, and would be the tool to gauge a mutant's power limits and capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    If we go by what's been referenced in the current era, there isn't much about Jean's history that counts for anything lol

Hi, love! I just got a warm feeling seeing your username :) I'm glad you're still around! Also, I don't even know who Frederick Duncan is--you know how ditzy I am about these things--so please elaborate.
    Just lurking, really. Trying to help with facts if/when I can and feel like it. Even if they are - like in this case - totally irrelevant! :P

As for Fred Duncan, you know who he is 'cause you read the 60s comics. It's that FBI agent who worked with Xavier. :)

Just lurking, really. Trying to help with facts if/when I can and feel like it. Even if they are - like in this case - totally irrelevant! :P
    What you have to share is never irrelevant, especially the facts you bring to the table.

As for Fred Duncan, you know who he is 'cause you read the 60s comics. It's that FBI agent who worked with Xavier. [/QUOTE]

Ah, okay! I remember! I wonder how Fred would be able to gauge that!

Ah, okay! I remember! I wonder how Fred would be able to gauge that!
    Here's a suggestion I hope doesn't offend anyone:what if Cerebro has a limited scale in which it can actually measure mutant power? And because of that, after a certain amount of power, it just can't really measure how powerful a mutant is anymore?

Xavier might have shared that Cerebro read Bobby and Jean like that and Fred came up with the term "Omega". Because, you know, there was no vocabulary to refer to them.

What if the definition of "omega" is actually not fully understood in-story as well? What if it has changed as cerebro and the knowledge of mutant power was improved and expanded?

Here's a suggestion I hope doesn't offend anyone:what if Cerebro has a limited scale in which it can actually measure mutant power? And because of that, after a certain amount of power, it just can't really measure how powerful a mutant is anymore?

Xavier might have shared that Cerebro read Bobby and Jean like that and Fred came up with the term "Omega". Because, you know, there was no vocabulary to refer to them.

What if the definition of "omega" is actually not fully understood in-story as well? What if it has changed as cerebro and the knowledge of mutant power was improved and expanded?
    I think you are correct. For example, if I remember correctly, Xavier used Cerebro to find both Dazzler and Kitty Pryde, wherein he mentioned that both were "potentially quite powerful" or some-such wording. This lead me to believe that Cerebro can give some general reading of power but perhaps not exact level of power nor what are the exact powers.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Hi Grinning Soul, nice to see you posting again

I agree, we donīt know how many actualizations cerebro had and it makes sense itīs not able to detect the real power level of every mutant and thatīs why we have the Omega and beyond omega level mutants.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

What if the definition of "omega" is actually not fully understood in-story as well? As it has changed as cerebro and the knowledge of mutant power was improved and expanded?
    This is certainly a logical way of looking at the classification. Here's another thing to consider: The Shi'ar Logic Diamonds--"[m]ineral utensils with infinite information storage space"--are used "to power the new system augmentations made to Cerebro." Perhaps they've informed the current classification and its definition, especially considering the fact that these diamonds have "infinite information storage space."

Definition under the subheading Technology: https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Shi%27ar_Empire

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Logic_Diamonds

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I think you are correct. For example, if I remember correctly, Xavier used Cerebro to find both Dazzler and Kitty Pryde, wherein he mentioned that both were "potentially quite powerful" or some-such wording. This lead me to believe that Cerebro can give some general reading of power but perhaps not exact level of power nor what are the exact powers.
    Exactly. Cerebro doesn't seem to be a precise measurement instrument, which makes sense as it used to double as a mutant-finding machine and now it's a psyche-xerox-machine as well.

I think it makes sense to assume that the more you go back in X-Men history, the more rudimentary the knowledge about mutant power was. So, back in the O5 days, it seems realistic to me that Xavier would have all those questions about what it meant for Bobby and Jean to be "Omega".

And perhaps we can even imagine that maybe it's still the case that no one fully understands it.

Exactly. Cerebro doesn't seem to be a precise measurement instrument, which makes sense as it used to double as a mutant-finding machine and now it's a psyche-xerox-machine as well.

I think it makes sense to assume that the more you go back in X-Men history, the more rudimentary the knowledge about mutant power was. So, back in the O5 days, it seems realistic to me that Xavier would have all those questions about what it meant for Bobby and Jean to be "Omega".

And perhaps we can even imagine that maybe it's still the case that no one fully understands it.
    We also can't discount Computo's classification of Jean as having "infinite mental powers." I believe it was self-aware and more advanced than Cerebro.

(You know I will always find a way to substantiate Jean being the most powerful mutant EVAR! mwahahahaha!)