Page 48 of 77 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Will I ever be able to take Wong seriously again ?
    Even a Sorcerer Supreme needs a few minutes to himself to enjoy life when not saving the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Am I over-analyzing her or is there more to her that what it seems?

And she has her own (official?) Twitter account too!
    https://twitter.com/madisynn_2n1y

She could be Madame Synn, a mercenary who fought Captain Marvel and Rick Jones (and this is where he enters lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    She could be Madame Synn, a mercenary who fought Captain Marvel and Rick Jones (and this is where he enters lol)
    I doubt that's the case, but man would that be such a pull .

Madisynn is just Madisynn, people. There's no secret origin.

Extraordinary Member

It's not even just that they play him so much for comedy, but just that he's still a Sorcerer Supreme sidekick even when he's Sorcerer Supreme .
    I mean, the movies aren't called Wong. As great of a character as he is, he's still just a supporting one.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Madisynn is just Madisynn, people. There's no secret origin.
    I'd be disappointed if there was. Not everything has to be super connected and have a deeper meaning than what's on the surface. Sometimes a fun character can exist just to exist.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Judging by everything else, I highly doubt the writers thought that deeply about her .
    Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I mean, the movies aren't called Wong. As great of a character as he is, he's still just a supporting one.
    Yeah, but that just makes him being the Sorcerer Supreme more glaring because of it.

Honestly? I'd rather have a Wong series than that Agatha one they got planned.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, I just checked, and Johnny has no relative called Donny in the comics, this guy is an MCU original. They should've called him something else if he's not supposed to be related to Johnny.
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Johna...ze_(Earth-616)
    Could just be them winking at the audience. "No, we haven't forgotten about Johnny Blaze, we'll get around to him too."

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Honestly? I'd rather have a Wong series than that Agatha one they got planned.
    ::insert why not both meme here::

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Extraordinary Member

Judging by everything else, I highly doubt the writers thought that deeply about her .
    Good, because the way they've written her so far has been outstanding!

Yeah, but that just makes him being the Sorcerer Supreme more glaring because of it.
    I don't think being Sorcerer Supreme means you have to fit into a very tight and specific mold. I think each new sorcerer that takes up the mantle should be unique in their own way. The Ancient One is just super wise, Strange seems to be constantly working on himself and is kind of an ass, and Wong seems to be very by the book, but also seems to have a very human side. Maybe this is what will ultimately make Strange "the best" of them according to The Ancient One. The fact that - while still an ass - he's less rigid than the rest.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I don't think being Sorcerer Supreme means you have to fit into a very tight and specific mold. I think each new sorcerer that takes up the mantle should be unique in their own way. The Ancient One is just super wise, Strange seems to be constantly working on himself and is kind of an ass, and Wong seems to be very by the book, but also seems to have a very human side. Maybe this is what will ultimately make Strange "the best" of them according to The Ancient One. The fact that - while still an ass - he's less rigid than the rest.
    I think it's fine to be unique but I think with any role there comes with expectations, and when you're not the main character there's only so much you can live up to that expectation especially when you're effectively still just a placeholder for the main character, since Strange still hasn't grown out of being an ass yet (even though he had done it way earlier in the comics).

But even the comics haven't done much with other Sorcerer Supreme's that aren't Strange (Brother Voodoo barely did anything).

Although I'm genuinely curious if the show would've handled Strange the way they did Wong, although maybe if it were comic Strange .

I think it's fine to be unique but I think with any role there comes with expectations, and when you're not the main character there's only so much you can live up to that expectation especially when you're effectively still just a placeholder for the main character, since Strange still hasn't grown out of being an ass yet (even though he had done it way earlier in the comics).

But even the comics haven't done much with other Sorcerer Supreme's that aren't Strange (Brother Voodoo barely did anything).

Although I'm genuinely curious if the show would've handled Strange the way they did Wong, although maybe if it were comic Strange .
    The most interesting thing the comics did with the idea of other Sorceror Supremes was that big spread with the list of candidates. Hmm... what WOULD the MU be like if Selene Gallio had been chosen? hmm....

Extraordinary Member

I think at this point we either have to accept that the MCU is it's own thing and adapts the material from the comics and isn't a direct translation (think the Frank Miller/Robert Rodriguez direct translation they did of Sin City) or we don't. They honestly haven't done a direct translation yet and I don't see them starting anytime soon after 14 years.

Superhero adaptations in general tend to make changes all the time. The most faithful is probably the first season of DC's Stargirl, which is largely an adaptation of the Stars and STRIPE comic Courtney debuted in (it helps that the show and comic were both written by Geoff Johns, whose late sister Courtney is named after). However, in the comic she was Star Spangled Kid, she only obtained the Cosmic Staff and became Stargirl later. They also added three teammates, only one of whom she even met in the comics (Hourman, who was her JSA teammate later - the other two were dead).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Superhero adaptations in general tend to make changes all the time. The most faithful is probably the first season of DC's Stargirl, which is largely an adaptation of the Stars and STRIPE comic Courtney debuted in (it helps that the show and comic were both written by Geoff Johns, whose late sister Courtney is named after). However, in the comic she was Star Spangled Kid, she only obtained the Cosmic Staff and became Stargirl later. They also added three teammates, only one of whom she even met in the comics (Hourman, who was her JSA teammate later - the other two were dead).
    Agreed. Notice like with Miller and Sin City, an original creator of the story and characters was involved in that. Kinda similar to when Steve Martin also wrote the screenplay to the movie Shop Girl based on the novel he also wrote a bunch of years back. Those are pretty much the only ways you are going to get as close to the source material as possible.

Mephisto!!!! Too soon?