Page 30 of 82 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I think the obvious answer is probably the best. They simply fell in love...sort of. I don't know if Doom was totally commited. Wanda was left to just wander aimlessly after House of M. Hawkeye found her in Transia IIRC but it was obvious she had amnesia and didn't recognize him. That didn't stop him from sleeping with her though....he had a thing for her going back to Stan Lee's days on the Avengers when she was one of what became known by fans as the Kooky quartet of Cap, Hawkeye, Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch.

We never really saw in Children's Crusade how they met but IIRC Doom just says he was informed that she was in Transia so he brought her to Latveria. With her memories of him being a bit fuzzy she had no fear of him. IMO he really did her a great service by providing a roof over her head and kept her from danger. Anyone might have taken advantage of the situation but Doom really doesn't. He's mostly very honest with her.

When she did finally get her full faculties back and remembered she really didn't get angry about her situation and still wanted the marriage to happen. What messed every thing up was when they were trying to get rid of the Life Force, Eli/Patriot took a shot at him that diverted the spell that Wiccan, Wanda and Doom were conjuring up and Doom got the Life Force instead.

In this sequence IMO Heinberg's intentions are voiced by Wolverine. Victor had gotten all Doomy and tried to divert blame for House of M from Wanda. But there's really no proof that Doom was even around when Disassembled/House of M gets under way. His last appearance was in Mark Waid's Fantastic Four run and he was banished to the Netherworlds. We see his escape happen later in JMS's Fantastic Four run.

Wanda knew the truth and so does Magneto but he tries to deflect here becaue he had some blame too.

That should of led to a mini series where Wanda does come across Doom alone to end it the RIGHT WAY...I remember him dismissing their connection to stay strong and then left..lol

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky99 View Post
    That should of led to a mini series where Wanda does come across Doom alone to end it the RIGHT WAY...I remember him dismissing their connection to stay strong and then left..lol
    That probably would have been better if they didn't have this crowd of people around. Doom wanted to save face and not reveal any weakness.

To put it delicately then Doom needs to go into business making very realistic Doombots for the kinky crowd. It's very obvious in Bendis's story that Hawkeye and Wanda got intimate. The one thing that is off is that the coloring job on Wanda made her hair too red, more like Jean Grey!

From New Avengers #26

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/922/JBA2kH.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/924/0GmPuS.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/921/iG3QmD.jpg
    Thanks. If you say what went on between them was the real thing, then I guess anything involving a "Doombot" has been retconned.

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Seeing as how I'm very unimpressed with Slott's writing of Doom in the Fantastic Four, and with no other current plans for Doom that I know of and being curious I have to ask:

What plot would you all like to see happen for Doom? In which direction should Marvel take the character next?
    For what it's worth, I enjoyed the time-travelling adventures of Doom & I'd be interested in knowing what other historical events he took part in...

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Iron Maiden, I was discussing something over in the Namor board, and Rev said I should ask you; I have been looking to see if there are any old internet boards/discussion places where fans might have discussed Namor, the Sub-Mariner (1990) #50, aka the fake out Sue/Namor issue. I wanted to see what fan reaction was like in that era, did people really believe that Susan had finally slept with Namor? What did people who read it as it came out think of that issue? I've been trying to see if there were any old Fantastic Four fansites or articles that might have covered this subject.

I would also love to just read in general more about how fandom perceived the Fantastic Four and Doom in the old internet days vs today's general fandom takes on the team. If you or anyone might know of where to find older Fantastic Four stuff that is still around?
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Iron Maiden, I was discussing something over in the Namor board, and Rev said I should ask you; I have been looking to see if there are any old internet boards/discussion places where fans might have discussed Namor, the Sub-Mariner (1990) #50, aka the fake out Sue/Namor issue. I wanted to see what fan reaction was like in that era, did people really believe that Susan had finally slept with Namor? What did people who read it as it came out think of that issue? I've been trying to see if there were any old Fantastic Four fansites or articles that might have covered this subject.

I would also love to just read in general more about how fandom perceived the Fantastic Four and Doom in the old internet days vs today's general fandom takes on the team. If you or anyone might know of where to find older Fantastic Four stuff that is still around?
    I'm afraid I don't remember any message boards that go back that far. I have a Fantastic Four message board that I manage but it hasn't gotten the traffic it had in the old days before Twitter and of course places like CBR.

I don't promote it much in case the Powers That Be at CBR frown on that kind of thing. I just tested the search engine and it goes back as far as 2000. I guess as a precaution you can't just put in any date or you might break it I went back and checked and the boards started up in 1996 starting with only a Spider-Man board.

Fantastic Four Message Board at Comicboards.com.

I know there were some older and of course more primitive ones around back in those days. I recall one where Chris Claremont would post from time to time but I can't recall the name of it. Luckily we have one volunteer tech guy who supports comic.boards. I don't know what would happen if he could no longer do it! All I know is that it is owned by a guy called Alvaro but I don't know if anyone ever has had any communication with him. I assume he still pays the bills!

It's too bad that some of that stuff has disappeared into the ether. From checking around I saw I one poster there had a message board called Imperious Rex linked in his signature section but the link doesn't work any more. There were some forums that were dropped over the years due to lack of traffic. I know a few creators would post there like Priest on the Black Panther board and sometimes Carlos Pacheco and Rafael Marin would post on the FF board. You can do a search by poster name and find them. I think the board will allow you to search without having to create a user name, etc.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-20-2022 at 08:57 AM.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

I'm afraid I don't remember any message boards that go back that far. I have a Fantastic Four message board that I manage here but it hasn't gotten the traffic it had in the old days before Twitter and of course places like CBR.

I don't promote it much in case the Powers That Be at CBR frown on that kind of thing. I just tested the search engine and it goes back as far as 2000. But IIRC it probably started up in the late 1990s

I know there were some older and of course more primitive ones around back in those days. I recall one where Chris Claremont would post from time to time but I can't recall the name of it. Luckily we have one volunteer tech guy who supports comic.boards. I don't know what would happen if he could no longer do it! All I know is that it is owned by a guy called Alvaro but I don't know if anyone ever has had any communication with him. I assume he still pays the bills!
    Thank you very much Iron Maiden!
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

What a wonderfully colorful portrait of Doom!

I'm afraid I don't remember any message boards that go back that far. I have a Fantastic Four message board that I manage but it hasn't gotten the traffic it had in the old days before Twitter and of course places like CBR.

I don't promote it much in case the Powers That Be at CBR frown on that kind of thing. I just tested the search engine and it goes back as far as 2000. I guess as a precaution you can't just put in any date or you might break it I went back and checked and the boards started up in 1996 starting with only a Spider-Man board.

It's too bad that some of that stuff has disappeared into the ether. From checking around I saw I one poster there had a message board called Imperious Rex linked in his signature section but the link doesn't work any more. There were some forums that were dropped over the years due to lack of traffic. I know a few creators would post there like Priest on the Black Panther board and sometimes Carlos Pacheco and Rafael Marin would post on the FF board. You can do a search by poster name and find them. I think the board will allow you to search without having to create a user name, etc.
    My bad. I thought that old FF site had a forum type thing. Was it called Four Freedom Plaza or Baxter Building? My brain is not working well.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    What a wonderfully colorful portrait of Doom!

My bad. I thought that old FF site had a forum type thing. Was it called Four Freedom Plaza or Baxter Building? My brain is not working well.

Four Freedoms Plaza IIRC was a separate board and IIRC it was mostly like a website/MB run by Sean Kleefled, who was one of the original mods at the other board I linked. He has a Twitter and FB account and still writes about comics. Sean was nominated for an Eisner last year for Best Academic or Scholarly Work! He sometimes pops in to the old board or I sometimes write to him on Twitter or FB.

My memory about those early internet days is getting fuzzy!

BANNED

I miss the days of message boards. They were a fantastic repository of information.

More of the writers and artists used to post at the message boards of old. The usually private Priest posted a lot at the Black Panther board in those days. He still keeps up his DigitalPriest site and some of the older essays he wrote.

Thanks Ravin' Ray. I never heard of the artist before. He does great work!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky99 View Post
    Think enough time has went by to have him cross Wanda again...why did she act like she was ready to leave everyone to stay with him after she got her memories? That needed more reasoning.
    Did you read Darkhold Alpha and Onega? There are no longer any romantic feelings left between them.

Default The Ovoid Mind Transfer - Final Chapter part 1

So let us revisit the Ovoid Mind Transfer once more before moving on....

Unless I missed one, there was one more time when this ability of Doom's was used in a major way. I'm not counting the John Bryne She Hulk story that occurred in her solo title a while back. And there is one more recent occurence in Guardians of the Galaxy which was entertaining which I'll get to later for those who may have missed that.

Decades would go by before anyone revisited this abililty. I could be wrong but if anyone recalls another post it here. Now we are on the Wark Waid run on the Fantastic Four. It was much acclaimed at the time and I did find it enjoyable. But I have some major issues in the way he handled Doom. Of course there was Unthinkable and how he betrayed his first love Valeria to obtain some arcane powers from the Hazaareth demons. But that's a topic for another day perhaps...or perhaps not.

At the end of Unthinkable the Haazerth demons drag him down to the Netherworld. I hesitate to say Hell because in the MU that's a very complicated because there are different domains. Since Doom's absence left no one in charge of Latveria, Reed takes the FF there and puts himself in charge. Unbeknownst to Sue, Ben and Johnny his final plan involves creating Mobius prison placing Doom there along with himself with no means of either of them escaping. To be brief, Sue, Ben and Johnny put a monkey wrench in Reed's plan by opening it up from their side. Doom, who doesn't even have his skin armor, takes advantage of the situation and uses the Ovoid Mind Transfer to thwart Reed's solution. He uses the mind transfer ability to take over Sue and then she would then her mind/soul would be in Doom's body.

Doom as Susan escapes into the streets of Doomstadt. He's quite glad to be in the borrowed body instead of being in a prison with Reed for the rest of his life. Maybe a little too glad.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-20-2022 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    Did you read Darkhold Alpha and Omega? There are no longer any romantic feelings left between them.
    I realize that but I think that is missed opportunity. I don't think that is the point Lucky99 is making but I will let them reply. She can't deny that Doom provided a safe haven for her when she was essentially adrift in the world with no memory after House of M. Come to think of it Layla Millar was staying with Doom at that time also in PAD's X-Factor. Maybe Doom should charge rent.

In Heinberg's ending she had no grudge against him. That would come later and get worse in Axis. But at least in the Darkhold story they worked together... except at the very end
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 06-19-2022 at 12:35 AM.