Page 32 of 82 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Doom'nGloom View Post

Found this on youtube. Thought it was funny so I share though maybe not 100% accurate. Cynthia died by a soldiers blade in Books of Doom if I remember it right. Was it specified how she died in the original story in FF annual #2?
    Now that is a quality post right there, and I love the use of the 60s cartoon voices.

As for the accuracy, I'll try to pull out my Annual and look to see how that depicted her death, but I do remember a burning at the stake situation. Ill have to look back at my books of Doom. More to follow...

BANNED

You are right. Books of Doom say soldier's blade. Annual 2 doesn't address his mother.

I need to dig through some Mephisto issues to see if I can find the stake references.

BANNED

Didn't find anything regarding stake burning. Just in case I missed a reference, I looked at Cynthia's wiki and it says soldiers blade was the cause. I guess the stake was some subliminal corellation to witches and burning.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Found this on youtube. Thought it was funny so I share though maybe not 100% accurate. Cynthia died by a soldiers blade in Books of Doom if I remember it right. Was it specified how she died in the original story in FF annual #2?
    Ah, that was a post I was planning as part of the 60th Anniversary of Doom's debut in the Marvel Universe but we can cover FF annual #2 here.

FF Annual #2 - The Origin of Doctor Doom

Stan Lee and Jack Kirby should have just called this Doctor Doom annual #1. The Fantastic Four play almost a supporting role in their own book. It's here where we see the first mention of his mother and her tragic death. But the information is sketchy. BTW, it is in the GN Triumph and Torment where we see his mother being killed by a soldier's blade. We are introduced to his father and his name is given here. But at no point is his mother's name mentioned.

Default Fantastic Four Annual #2 - Origin of Doom (continued)

The reader is introduced to a number of facets of the character that would remain mostly in tact over the decades. The flashbacks tell of a young Victor who grows to become the leader of his small band of Romani. I suspect that also may have been the role his father played as their healer. His upbringing lacks some details like his education but we do know his repuations reaches the U.S where a recruiter/scout comes to find him. He has better luck than the Latverian soldiers that have been trying to track him down. Then we get to the many times retold story of his going to the U.S and attending university. He meets his new classmated and future enemies Reed Richards and Ben Grimm. He spurns their offers of friendship and keeps to himself. He's later expelled when the fateful expirement goes awry and causes an explosion. Over the years this would be an event that gains new aspects as the years go on. IIRC Reed always considered the experiment a failure. Much later in Books of Doom Brubaker's version gives us a more detailed telling of the experiment showing that is was successful and he did contact his mother in the Nether Regions. It is hinted that the demon, who at this point is unnamed, caused the device to fail.

All retellings remain faithful to the impact on Victor. His face is severly damaged, or at least in most versions it is. At this point, Doom leaves to go back to Latveria after being expelled by the university.

Years later Jack Kirby gives us a sketch where Doom only has a small scar. Fortunately for us, Jack Kirby used to host some of his fans in his home and he drew a sketch showing this. One member of the group created a film of it and it has been saved at the online Jack Kirby Museum

the immortal Jack Kirby sketching Doctor Doom and explaining his small scar theory. Video hosted by the Jack Kirby Museum

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-27-2022 at 08:52 AM.

The fate of his mother is covered in more detail in Roger Stern's graphic novel Doctor Strange/Doctor Doom: Triumph and Torment. We see her conjuring up the demonic Mephisto and making a fateful bargain

She is granted the power by Mephisto but there is a price. She's able to defeat the Latverian soldiers but as a consequence all of the children in the village die also.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkshadow View Post
    Didn't find anything regarding stake burning. Just in case I missed a reference, I looked at Cynthia's wiki and it says soldiers blade was the cause. I guess the stake was some subliminal corellation to witches and burning.
    Thanks for checking. You're most probably right. Burning seems to be something the videomaker attributes to being a witch rather than a direct reference to the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Ah, that was a post I was planning as part of the 60th Anniversary of Doom's debut in the Marvel Universe but we can cover FF annual #2 here.
    Sorry to mess with your planned schedule but I always enjoy reading your detailed writings on Doom's comic history.

Thanks for checking. You're most probably right. Burning seems to be something the videomaker attributes to being a witch rather than a direct reference to the comics.

Sorry to mess with your planned schedule but I always enjoy reading your detailed writings on Doom's comic history.
    Oh, don't worry. I have kind of an irregular schedule anyway. And I like seeing everyone posting their thoughts, theories, favorite stories etc.

We have some new Doom merchandise coming out later this year. Diamond Select Toys is coming out with another Doom figure but this time in his Secret Wars white tunic and hood. I actually saw this first on Entertainment Earth while looking for something else.

As you can see it's the same figure that came out late last year IIRC that is done with the traditional look.

I think I will pass on this new one but it's still an impressive looking piece. I just wish they would do some more Doom variants. A Doom 2099 would be cool IMO.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

I've been doing a reread of the Dark Reign era/that time Doom invited the Asgardians to Latveria, lol. I just wanted to share this again because it's always funny. Dark Avengers #1

"No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

thanks for posting that. I thought Bendis's Dark Avengers was pretty entertaining. Then when he lands, he has Morgan Le Fey attacking because she was using her scrying powers to try and find him. She had seen him sitting with Emma Frost and Fem-Loki in a Cabal meeting and got jealous. Then the *^%# hit the fan. When she traveled to the present to attack Doom she did disable is armor for a while. The part I didn't care for was that Osborn needed to save him from her attacks. Doom's counterattack was to send her back in time to about 1 million B.C and dodge dinosaurs. I don't know if I ever saw an account as to how she escaped that.

I appreciated that Cantwell's Doom series brought them back together again, along with a reunion with Valeria. I'd like to see more of Morgan and Victor one day. I'd like to think that they are still having their little trysts in time off panel these days.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-29-2022 at 12:55 AM.

I think bringing Morgana back would be a great thing for future Doom plots, I do love that pairing a lot even if they do have their ups and downs.

I'm not sure if I ever shared this here but a while back I did commission The Cabal goes to the mall and don't invite Osborn fanart piece for fun by Squidbiscuit and I just love this team up alot XD

Thanks..... that is cute! It reminds me of the style of Skottie Young.

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    I think bringing Morgana back would be a great thing for future Doom plots, I do love that pairing a lot even if they do have their ups and downs.

I'm not sure if I ever shared this here but a while back I did commission The Cabal goes to the mall and don't invite Osborn fanart piece for fun by Squidbiscuit and I just love this team up alot XD

Doom's shades are killing me I love no one cares where the Hood is.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Thanks..... that is cute! It reminds me of the style of Skottie Young.
    Thanks!

Doom's shades are killing me I love no one cares where the Hood is.
    The Cabal probably ditched him the first chance they got XD