Page 10 of 82 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Yesterday we had a couple of interesting Doom appearances. Well, maybe not both of them.

SPOILERS AHEAD

As for Avengers #53 I'm really not that jazzed about Jason Aaron's AU Doom Supreme that kept the skin armor. This is getting confusing because in the Dark Reign stuff IIRC we have Superior Doom. In any case, I'd rather not be reminded of Mark Waid's Unthinkable arc. Doom Supreme hangs out with a bloodthirsty Kid Thanos. We get the start of a fight between this Doom and T'Challa's in his Red Panther suit but it really doesn't amount to much of a fight. Doom and Thanos skip out and blow up the Earth. And that's about it. I'm not sure if I will get the rest of this arc or just wait until it hits Marvel Unlimited.

Even though it was only two pages, I enjoyed Doom's appearance in Maestro: World War M more. Yes, Doom is showing the severe effects of his battle with the Maestro at end of the earlier min War and Pax. In that story Doom was allied with the Maestro. But before Doom could turn on him the Maestro first tried to poison him (Doom came prepared by taking an antidone before eating dinner with him) and then they had a battle at the end. Doom was a match for him until he made the mistake of being lead into a deserted factor that still had some gigantic electromagnets in operation. Doom was stripped of his armor and then took some pretty damaging blows from the Maestro before he could teleport out.

So we catch up to Doom in the current series and he still has not recovered from that battle. But something interesting happens here. He calls his robot valet "Winston" and I though wait a minute....I know that robot!

Back in 2009 when PAD was writing an X-Factor arc that takes place about 80 years in the future we were introduced to an elderly Doom that was living in a mostly deserted building in Detroit of all places....

So here's Winston again. Now I still get confused as to which reality PAD's 2009 story is linked to. I doubt this has anything to do with the 2099 universe. He did have an arc that introduced us to the Maestro's origin but I have to check that out. I think the Maestro appears in the AU that springs from Old Man Logan but I'd have to check that out too.

the X-Factor team and other factions, for reasons I have forgotten, need to find someone who is an expert in time travel and they track Doom down living in a mostly deserted building in Detroit. Why Detroit? I have no idea. He's mostly pretty senile but gains lucidity from time to time, particularly when the subject is time travel. It's here where he get some interesting info on how Doom' s time travel tech works but more on that later.

I suspect in this current series this mangled up Doom will have a Doombot take his place in any battles with the Maestro. I just hope the Maestro doesn't mess up Namor Leonard as badly. I want to see Maestro get a beatdown but I doubt that will happen.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 02-11-2022 at 02:48 PM.

San Diego, CA and Den of Madness, Castle Doom, Latveria

There was a you tube streaming chat with David Annandale today on Reign of the Devourer
    https://youtu.be/8RxdkZpAC9A
    "Because ... I am Doom
    ... What Gods dare stand against me?"

Posting from the dungeon of Castle Doom, Latveria

Quote Originally Posted by DoomScribe View Post
    There was a you tube streaming chat with David Annandale today on Reign of the Devourer
    https://youtu.be/8RxdkZpAC9A
    Thanks! I will have to check that out.

Toby Kebell, who played Victor Von Doom (for a few scenes anyway) in Josh Trank's lamentable Fantastic Four movie. He was interviewed by Forbes magazine about the series he co-stars in the IMDBpro streaming series Servant. The interviewer did bring up his role in the Fantastic Four movie so I will add that section of the interview here. He's very blunt in his opinion now that Fox is no longer in the movie making business which is a bit surprising because it can cause you to lose roles if TPTB is vindictive enough.

Earlier in Kebbell’s career, a major film project came his way when he was cast as Doctor Doom in Fox’s 2015 reboot of Fantastic Four, a Marvel property it owned the rights to back then. Toby is unapologetically honest in looking back at why the film was as disappointing for him to work on as it was for fans of the Marvel heroes to watch.

“You know, I'll be entirely honest... I don't think we were a victim of timing, I think we were a victim of bad leadership and organization,” Kebbell said. “I actually thought people in charge —— I mean in charge, in charge, not people creating and working on set —— I think there were opportunities, there were conversations had, there were script differences, there was like, 'Hey, you know, Simon (Kinberg, Fantastic Four producer and writer), this is actually factually true, this is important information...' He's like, ‘No, no, no. That's not what this is.’

“So there were unfortunate things. In Hollywood, you can't ever speak ill and I'm not doing that, I'm just saying while I was there, there was a lot more that could have been done to make that a better thing. There's fans for it. I truly believe it. I think Doom... I love the Joker, I love so many bad guys, my performance as Koba (Planet of the Apes films), there are bad guys that live in my heart.

“So I truly believe Doom is an awesome villain, he's an excellent villain and they kind of always just do something goofy with it. It's a shame, it's a shame. I honestly feel that way. I wouldn't have gone into it thinking, 'Ah, this is going to be another terrible movie.’ I thought they had that.

“At that time Marvel was already the Apex predator, it was already the one to beat, they were already the people to try to do the thing with. Why that effort wasn't put in, I don't know. But, yeah I know none of those people will call me back to work with them, so the truth as I see it is that more could have been done by the powers that be. So I hope, I truly hope, that someone does create a great version because I truly believe... I'm a big fan of Doom as a character. He's awesome. So, yeah. I hope they do it just right.”

Earlier in Kebbell’s career, a major film project came his way when he was cast as Doctor Doom in Fox’s 2015 reboot of Fantastic Four, a Marvel property it owned the rights to back then. Toby is unapologetically honest in looking back at why the film was as disappointing for him to work on as it was for fans of the Marvel heroes to watch.

“You know, I'll be entirely honest... I don't think we were a victim of timing, I think we were a victim of bad leadership and organization,” Kebbell said. “I actually thought people in charge —— I mean in charge, in charge, not people creating and working on set —— I think there were opportunities, there were conversations had, there were script differences, there was like, 'Hey, you know, Simon (Kinberg, Fantastic Four producer and writer), this is actually factually true, this is important information...' He's like, ‘No, no, no. That's not what this is.’

“So there were unfortunate things. In Hollywood, you can't ever speak ill and I'm not doing that, I'm just saying while I was there, there was a lot more that could have been done to make that a better thing. There's fans for it. I truly believe it. I think Doom... I love the Joker, I love so many bad guys, my performance as Koba (Planet of the Apes films), there are bad guys that live in my heart.

So I truly believe Doom is an awesome villain, he's an excellent villain and they kind of always just do something goofy with it. It's a shame, it's a shame. I honestly feel that way. I wouldn't have gone into it thinking, 'Ah, this is going to be another terrible movie.’ I thought they had that.

“At that time Marvel was already the Apex predator, it was already the one to beat, they were already the people to try to do the thing with. Why that effort wasn't put in, I don't know. But, yeah I know none of those people will call me back to work with them, so the truth as I see it is that more could have been done by the powers that be. So I hope, I truly hope, that someone does create a great version because I truly believe... I'm a big fan of Doom as a character. He's awesome. So, yeah. I hope they do it just right.”
    This part hurts. Doom has a great backstory which is both compelling and not a hot mess like Kang or Summers family tree over at X-men. Why did they screw it up twice I can never understand.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

I feel like Brian Cronin just trolled us. I just saw this tweet of his, which has a picture of the banner art for the CBR article, featuring a gallery of supervillains including Joker and Doom up front. But the article itself is not about Doom!

Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    I feel like Brian Cronin just trolled us. I just saw this tweet of his, which has a picture of the banner art for the CBR article, featuring a gallery of supervillains including Joker and Doom up front. But the article itself is not about Doom!

Well, thanks for posting that great Alex Ross art anyway. The example Brian Cronin used from the Golden Age story had art that wasn't quite that spectacular.

Quote Originally Posted by Doom'nGloom View Post
    This part hurts. Doom has a great backstory which is both compelling and not a hot mess like Kang or Summers family tree over at X-men. Why did they screw it up twice I can never understand.
    I think Kebbell says maybe a little more than he intended and that one part with Simon Kinberg may be a clue to what went wrong. The film they came out with was not the Fantastic Four that Stan Lee and Jack Kirby created. It reminded me more of Mark Millar/Brian Bendis/Warren Elllis Ultimate Fantastic Four. But anyway they screwed that up too.

I also finally saw that mini documentary "Doomed" about the Fantastic Four movie that was a sham and like cruel trick played on all those who worked on with a sincere effect to make a good Fantastic Four movie. But with the miniscule budget they had they were "doomed" before they even got started. They were betrayed by the guys in the suits and the fancy offices. I was always a bit suspicious with Roger Corman being involved but he had made some great films on small budgets like the Poe adaptations Masque of the Red Death and Pit and the Pendulum.

I hope we get some news soon on what exactly is going on with the FF movie. It's been too quiet on that front beyond the announcement of a director. I wish we know more details on the Doom solo movie that Noah Hawley had proposed to Fox just before they agreed to deal the rights to the FF back to Disney/Marvel.

Previews came out yesterday for Iron Man #17 Really looking forward to reading Cantwell writing Doom again.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 02-19-2022 at 10:18 PM.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

That's a somewhat motley crew of heroes! Frog-Man with three former Defenders (Hellcat, Surfer, Gargoyle), War Machine and Hammond. Who is the last one?
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

That's a somewhat motley crew of heroes! Frog-Man with three former Defenders (Hellcat, Surfer, Gargoyle), War Machine and Hammond. Who is the last one?
    The guy with the goatee in the dark blue jumpsuit is Halcyon and he was created by Cantwell for this series.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    The guy with the goatee in the dark blue jumpsuit is Halcyon and he was created by Cantwell for this series.
    Glad to hear Hammond is being used again. Is he back to his old self yet?

Hey K7P5V Remember when you asked about a Reptil figure from the Superhero Squad? I didn't l give him away and I found him in another box while putting away some stuff after Christmas. But I forgot to post it.

I found some little promos that was in the original packaging too.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Hey K7P5V Remember when you asked about a Reptil figure from the Superhero Squad? I didn't l give him away and I found him in another box while putting away some stuff after Christmas. But I forgot to post it.

I found some little promos that was in the original packaging too.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/922/vLjCFM.jpg
    https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/922/grIHMd.jpg
    Thanks, Iron Maiden! Glad you remembered (LOL):

You're welcome! I thought it was so funny that George Takei was the voice of Galactus on that show!

I like Doom's appearance in Dark Ages this week. It's nothing big but it's pretty funny he basically tried to give Peter parenting advice. It's also noted in the issue he's the only villain traveling with the team. There may be a surprise development in the next issue.