Page 13 of 82 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    As I recall, she also attacked his castle in early Dark Avengers leading to their intervention in Latveria.

Thanks. I have been meaning to check out Cantwell's Dr Doom series. I heard good things about it plus I found the scans showing Kang and Victor being unlikely bedfellows to be highly entertaining.
    Yes, it is. I won't spoil it for you but be sure to try it out. I bought both volumes of the TPB even though I have the singles issues two. I figure that's one way to support the character and who knows? Maybe another mini series or ongoing could come along one day.

After the first 6 issues came out, it was nominated for an Eisner Award for best new series, which IMO indicates that at one time it was considered an ongoing series. Then the pandemic came along and threw everything off. It did end with issue #12 but Cantwell has said in several podcasts that he had the next arc planned.

San Diego, CA and Den of Madness, Castle Doom, Latveria

Awesome Doctor Doom figure, IM ... yeah, I'll have to hunt this down now ...

ds
    "Because ... I am Doom
    ... What Gods dare stand against me?"

Posting from the dungeon of Castle Doom, Latveria

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    The Secret Wars one I almost posted about but I don't remember the second one. Is that JR jr on the art and what is that from?? I'm going to have to find that. Is that from Acts of Vengeance? I never did read all the tie ins.
    LOL! Just click the image & it'll show you where it came from.

But if that doesn't work, here's the link for my source: Daredevil #275 (XD)

The Secret Wars one I almost posted about but I don't remember the second one. Is that JR jr on the art and what is that from?? I'm going to have to find that. Is that from Acts of Vengeance? I never did read all the tie ins.
    Yes, it is John Romita, JR art, very distinctive. The comic book is Daredevil, issue #275
    "Because ... I am Doom

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Love the figures Iron Maiden!!!!

About the subject of Valeria and Morgan (a) I really enjoy reading about them and how the romances played out (not talking about what happened to Valeria bc imo that was not really in his character and would go against his code of protecting his people of which Valeria was) and how Valeria is basically the romance/ties to Victor's youth and it's why its more about lost love/unrequited love vs Morgan who is more about passion in the now. Even her jealously over Doom's perceived betrayal was tied to her passions, yet Victor still went to her when he needed someone in his corner so it does speak about some level of trust between them. I really do wish someone would come along and tie up the Valeria arc, maybe if Cantwell hadn't been canceled it would have happened.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    I don't suppose the fire effects are removable?
    Those definitely aren't dinosaur bones, I'm pretty sure they're demon/monster skulls, as if he's battling it out in Hell or another dimension.
    You're right....maybe it's a dragon? No, the fire effects aren't removable since this is marketed as a statue, not action figure. I've seen a really cool one of Captain Marvel in her black & silver costume at my local comic shop.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    LOL! Just click the image & it'll show you where it came from.

But if that doesn't work, here's the link for my source: Daredevil #275 (XD)
    Quote Originally Posted by DoomScribe View Post
    Yes, it is John Romita, JR art, very distinctive. The comic book is Daredevil, issue #275
    Thanks guys! Just as I suspected. It's an acts of vengeance tie in. I will check this out on Marvel Unlimited.

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Love the figures Iron Maiden!!!!
    Thanks! I'm really happy with the Diamond Select one...no chance of breaking it! I just have to find room to display it so I have put it back in the box for now.

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    About the subject of Valeria and Morgan (a) I really enjoy reading about them and how the romances played out (not talking about what happened to Valeria bc imo that was not really in his character and would go against his code of protecting his people of which Valeria was) and how Valeria is basically the romance/ties to Victor's youth and it's why its more about lost love/unrequited love vs Morgan who is more about passion in the now. Even her jealously over Doom's perceived betrayal was tied to her passions, yet Victor still went to her when he needed someone in his corner so it does speak about some level of trust between them. I really do wish someone would come along and tie up the Valeria arc, maybe if Cantwell hadn't been canceled it would have happened.
    I think it could very well have been possible had he gone on to do another volume of stories. I appreciate the fact that he even included her at all. As for Waid's Unthinkable, I agree totally. It gets a lot of positive reviews but I don't think it holds up. It really looked like Mark Waid was out to tear down Doom as a character. In Authoritative Action, the arc where Doom returns Waid takes it even further and leaves Doom without a body. He has him rapidly jumping from one person to another, from Sue, then to Johnny and finally Ben. His body should have had Sue's mind in habiting but as I said Waid got the whole technique wrong. We know that at that point in time it took some concentration on Doom's part to employ it. He recently used it in Guardians of the Galaxy but he wasn't able to work it that quickly there either.

Even later in Byrne's FF #260 it takes a while for him to pull it off

It took some time for Doom to return, which was in the JMS run issue #537 and he does it spectacularly by tackling the hordes of Hell before he hitches a ride on the wake of Mjolnir, which is hurtling it's way through multiple dimensions.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 03-05-2022 at 10:19 PM.

Awesome Doctor Doom figure, IM ... yeah, I'll have to hunt this down now ...

ds
    Unfortunately, I just checked Wal Mart's web site and it is now out of stock

But you can try checking out your local Wal Marts and see if it is in their collectibles section. In my area, it's usually by the electronics.

You can also try Zavvi. I've never used them and sometimes I see they get mixed reviews online but they seem to have it in stock.

Eventually it may show up on eBay but the seller will probably up their price. Good Luck!

Just found out that there will be another Funko Pop Doctor Doom variant coming this summer, unless there's still some shipping glitches. I think they're stretching it a bit because I don't think Doom appears in this MechStrike Monster Hunter game/movie. But the Funko folks have a wave of these Marvel variants coming out with Venom, Loki, Green Goblin and Thanos

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 03-07-2022 at 02:59 PM.

Awesome.

Man, I hate going into Walmart ....

I saw one on ebay but it was at least $70

I remember that that figure was previously advertised as a NYCC exclusive. I will try Zavvi, and let you know.
    ds
    "Because ... I am Doom

Awesome.

Man, I hate going into Walmart ....

I saw one on ebay but it was at least $70

I remember that that figure was previously advertised as a NYCC exclusive. I will try Zavvi, and let you know.
    ds
    You may be able to get someone at one of the Wal Mart service desks to look it up for you just in case they find one in stock.
    I think they must have changed it at some point. After all, you will reach more people through Wal Mart or Game Stop and other stores than at a convention. Or maybe they had a limited stock and after they sold it out at NYCC, they figured they could let Wal Mart have an exclusive.

I hope Zavvi works out for you. Most of their reviews are positive so it couldn't hurt to try.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 03-06-2022 at 04:08 PM.

Default Carrying over thread drift discussion from Clea appreciation thread

Continuing this discussion here....

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    I am quite serious. Doom was treated as primarily a scientific threat for most of the 20th century. In Triumph & Torment, written in 1989, his mystic abilities were so weak that he had to strain to hear a mystic summons so powerful that it woke up Strange on the other side of the planet. The only reason he did so well in the Trial of the Vishanti is that he CHEATED. He had mystical skills, yes, but they were treated as a very minor part of his arsenal.
    Hah....cheated? If that is the case then the Vishanti would have done something about it wouldn't they? I think you can compare this to Captain Kirk's strategy in Kobayashi Maru test and Doom should be commended for original thinking. Starfleet did not reprimand Kirk and the Vishanti didn't disqualify Doom from the contest. I think we can assume that they knew he was probably one of the weaker candidates. He only entered into mystical combat once a year and we see in Brubaker's Books of Doom that ritual began right after Doom's rebellion succeeds and King Vladimer is killed. We only were witness to one to the trail where he fought a creature that was conjured up for the contest but the battle was mostly physical. In the interval between contests he probably trained using other means, either studying volumes of arcana or seeking out other powerful practitioners of magic like we see in Iron Man #149-150.
    We also know that in Triumph and Torment the Aged Genghis directed both Stephen and Victor (who had to be younger since had had just been expelled) to their eventual destinations. We really don't know much about the sect that gave Victor refuge nor do we know what mystical arts he was trained in. BTW, those monks were later all slaughtered by the villain called Crucible in Chris Claremont's FF run (perhaps plotted by Scott Lobdell since he left the title suddenly). I assume the Aged Genghis is connected with the Vishanti and Triumph and Torment suggests the Vishanti had some hand in the destiny of Stephen and Victor. The fact that Victor heard the message of the Vishanti at all suggests that they felt he had sufficient skills and status to be part of the contest, no matter what means he used to survive it.

Quote Originally Posted by DigiCom View Post
    I'm not sure exactly when his sorcerous abilities amped to be made equal to his scientific acumen... I suspect it was during "Unthinkable" in the Waid FF run, but I have neither the time nor the inclination to verify such, nor do I wish to clutter up an Appreciation thread for another character further. So I fear we must agree to disagree.
    Although Stan and Jack really didn't do that much with it during their run, it's clear from Doom's very first appearance that they always intended him to be well versed in both science and sorcery. Maybe he was working on that book we see here.....

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 03-07-2022 at 03:48 PM.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

People need to not discredit Victor's abilities because he is very skilled in magic, he spent years training ever since he was a child, he has always melded magic and science. He fights Mephisto year after year and he couldn't do that and live unless he had extreme ability, it was his plan NOT to become the winner but to use it to his advantage. People who misinterpret T&T need to give it a reread. Doom's plan all along was to save his mother by any means, using whomever and whatever he could. He knew that if he took that power and used it against Mephisto then he would fail because Mephisto knows his weaknesses, and he found the loophole in the details which allowed Cynthia to free herself.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

This week since I was bored I picked up Devil's Reign/Superior Four to see just what's up with this alternate reality Doom. The Superior Four in the title refers to Supreme Doom, and other versions of Ghost Rider, Hulk, and Wolverine.

Not to be confused with the version currently appearing in Aaron's Avengers, this one is a mash-up of Doctor Doom (or is father??), Dr. Strange and Otto Octavious. I am glad just to read someone remembers that Doom has/had a father named Werner von Doom. We don't get much of an origin story, unless it was told in more detail in an earlier issue. I may look into that or maybe not. This title is a "miss" for me. I'm just getting a little overwhelmed with all of these alternate universes.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 03-10-2022 at 05:49 PM.

This week since I was bored I picked up Devil's Reign/Superior Four to see just what's up with this alternate reality Doom. The Superior Four in the title refers to Supreme Doom, and other versions of Ghost Rider, Hulk, and Wolverine.

Not to be confused with the version currently appearing in Aaron's Avengers, this one is a mash-up of Doctor Doom (or is father??), Dr. Strange and Otto Octavious. I am glad just to read someone remembers that Doom has/had a father named Werner von Doom. We don't get much of an origin story, unless it was told in more detail in an earlier issue. I may look into that or maybe not. This title is a "miss" for me. I'm just getting a little overwhelmed with all of these alternate universes.
    I agree with the mishmash of multiverse versions. It starts to feel more like laziness than creativity, a commercial opportunity to tell stories about Known Characters without having to deal with their history and baggage.

They have a real unique opportunity to tell a new story or look at an old character in a new way, but it invariably seems like an excuse to power-up some second stringer and get a bunch of other characters to throw in and fight amongst themselves. Few of these books have any insight to give, and none of them have any lasting impact. Fewer still are worth reading.

Speaking of history, I just bought this book on Amazon - All of the Marvels: A Journey to the Ends of the Biggest Story Ever Told Hardcover –
    by Douglas Wolk
    71B5JhniaLS.jpg

The reviews I read indicate that this is a good read for any lifelong Marvel comics fan. It came out in 2021 but this is the first I've heard about it.

Also - one day Marvel may actually tell the story of Werner von Doom. It's a nugget that has been festering in obscurity for 60 years. Hard to believe, except that Marvel sometimes has a really difficult time mining the recent past for story, choosing instead to romanticize the distant past and the future.
    "Because ... I am Doom