Page 17 of 82 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767 ... LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Yes, I liked Doom's role in this too. He stayed on the "good guys" side all the way. I liked how he was paired up with Moon Girl to be the final solution. I think he last worked with her in his Infamous Iron Man phase.

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post

Doom shows up at the end of Maestro: world war m #2, I think he will have a bigger presence in the next issue
    For those of you who may not have read Maestro: War and Pax, this is why Doom is not in such good shape. He took a really bad beating from the Maestro in the final issue. After being allies, Maestro first tried to poison Doom. Then during their inevitable battle, Doom followed him into an abandoned factory but it was a trap. There were powerful electromagnets there that removed his armor. Now it seems to me that both Doom and Stark had addressed that issue with magnetism at some point so that shouldn't have been an issue. The Maestro was quite brutal after that.

I've said it before but I think for a lead character in a series I find very little to like about the Maestro. I hope he get his comeuppance in this series but I doubt PAD will go that route and he will end up doing the same to this team of opponents. I have no sympathy for this guy because he ruthlessly attacked Namor and his family and ended up killing his wife and son.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 03-31-2022 at 10:49 PM.

I don't even know what the Maestro's deal is. He was originally an alternate universe evil Hulk, why is he seemingly everywhere now? Why didn't Victor just use sorcery? I know these are Hulk books, and plot trumps characters abilities all the time, but c'mon, Victor should have known for decades that trying anything physical with a Hulk is most likely going to fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    I don't even know what the Maestro's deal is. He was originally an alternate universe evil Hulk, why is he seemingly everywhere now? Why didn't Victor just use sorcery? I know these are Hulk books, and plot trumps characters abilities all the time, but c'mon, Victor should have known for decades that trying anything physical with a Hulk is most likely going to fail.
    exactly. But for a while Doom did a few get a few good blows in until he was trapped by the electromagnetic field. But there was a good showing against the Hulk that had been given a dose of cosmic power in Fall of the Hulks....from IH #606

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 04-01-2022 at 11:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    exactly. But for a while Doom did a few good blows in until he was trapped by the electromagnetic field. But there was a good showing against the Hulk that had been given a dose of cosmic power in Fall of the Hulks....from IH #606

Wait. Did Doom just quote Jon Bon Jovi?
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Wait. Did Doom just quote Jon Bon Jovi?
    Not sure where the writer got the phrase from, that is if you mean "Once again, with feeling".

San Diego, CA and Den of Madness, Castle Doom, Latveria

Not sure where the writer got the phrase from, that is if you mean "Once again, with feeling".
    Isn't that from an old movie? Like, I can picture Betty Davis saying it ... but I could be wrong.
    "Because ... I am Doom
    ... What Gods dare stand against me?"

Posting from the dungeon of Castle Doom, Latveria

Quote Originally Posted by DoomScribe View Post
    Isn't that from an old movie? Like, I can picture Betty Davis saying it ... but I could be wrong.
    It is the title of a couple of movies...one with Yul Brynner! There was also a special musical episode of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" that got a lot of hits when I googled it. It was broadcast in 2001 and written by Joss Whedon so I'm leaning towards that being the source. Incredible Hulk #606 was published in 2010 and written by Greg Pak.

It's not a specific reference, like to a film or song, it's just an expression as for as I know, usually sarcasm.

It is also often used as an exhortation to the orchestra/choir during rehearsal. Must be Victor's musician side showing up.

Quote Originally Posted by FRC Coazze View Post
    It is also often used as an exhortation to the orchestra/choir during rehearsal. Must be Victor's musician side showing up.
    I know, right?! We all know how much Doom loves his music...

We know he plays piano very well too. I wish Christopher Cantwell had gotten a chance to continue his Doctor Doom series with the arc where Doom decides to compose a symphony as part of his rehabilitation from a mild stroke.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 04-04-2022 at 02:51 PM.

exactly. But for a while Doom did a few get a few good blows in until he was trapped by the electromagnetic field. But there was a good showing against the Hulk that had been given a dose of cosmic power in Fall of the Hulks....from IH #606
    IDK man, probably just the fanboy in me talking, but it just seems like Doom was treated with much greater reverence by writers decades ago. Super-Villain Team-Up for example...I mean, you get the impression from reading those books that the writers were just gushing about what Doom could do...which is pretty much anything he wants. I mean, he had personal force fields that would not have kept Maestro out forever, but long enough to come up with something very decisive. His combination of intellect coupled with his mastery of sorcery and science makes him one of the most dangerous beings on earth. I still remember days of him beating the X-Men, the Avengers, Excalibur and of course, the FF. By himself. I feel like @Doombot above, Doom just has way too many options other than raw brute strength to deal with a low brow like Maestro.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    IDK man, probably just the fanboy in me talking, but it just seems like Doom was treated with much greater reverence by writers decades ago. Super-Villain Team-Up for example...I mean, you get the impression from reading those books that the writers were just gushing about what Doom could do...which is pretty much anything he wants. I mean, he had personal force fields that would not have kept Maestro out forever, but long enough to come up with something very decisive. His combination of intellect coupled with his mastery of sorcery and science makes him one of the most dangerous beings on earth. I still remember days of him beating the X-Men, the Avengers, Excalibur and of course, the FF. By himself. I feel like @Doombot above, Doom just has way too many options other than raw brute strength to deal with a low brow like Maestro.
    It's not just you, I feel this way too. I think part of the reason why is because writers keep using characters like Doom, Namor, Thor, whomever is supposed to be the strongest/best in their field and having characters tear them down to make that character look better. I can't speak for World War M, bc like Peter David is writing it and it's a Hulk book so it's Hulk's circus, but in general like Slott and others have been making Doom less.. Doom and more like an idea of what they think Doom is. A lot of tearing him down (many books, FF, WWM) and stuff like him casually taking off his mask (savage avengers) just feels like writers don't write him like he was used to be written. He is a complex character with strengths and flaws, but most of all he is a very smart character and it's supposed to be hard to get the upper hand with Doom.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    QFT. I've said it before that I've been frustrated with PAD's use of this Maestro as his lead character. He's far worse than Doom. He ruthlessly kills people as when he killed this AU Namor's wife and son for no reason. Namor was offering him a truce and never even attacked him. Doom has better counter moves than PAD allows against a brutish character like Maestro . The only thing that will make it worth while is to finally see Maestro get stomped by Namor, the Abomination (who's loved ones Maestro also killed) and whatever Doom uses. He may have to use a Doombot side he's still recovering. But it will probably not go that way.