Page 18 of 82 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868 ... LastLast
    Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

A callback to the Latverian tourism ads in DS & DD: T&T. Captain America Symbol of Truth #1 Stormbreakers variant cover by Natacha Bustos.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...marvel-locales
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Thanks for finding that Ravin' Ray I wonder if Doom really needs those tourism dollars? I could see them perhaps promoting vineyards, if anything, Doom is fond of his wine. I seem to remember that there was some story where Doom stirred up some mischief just to be able to annex a neighboring country (Slovenia?) and thereby obtain their vineyards. Can't recall offhand what storyline that was but here we do have Doom checking in on the situation in Slovenia, a neighboring country to Latveria, when war erupted there as a result of Thor moving Asgard to Earth and thereby creating Thor Cults (unintentionally) all over the world

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 04-05-2022 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    A callback to the Latverian tourism ads in DS & DD: T&T. Captain America Symbol of Truth #1 Stormbreakers variant cover by Natacha Bustos.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...marvel-locales
    That’s a nice advertisement, Latveria is objectively a beautiful Country.

Are these covers wrap-around? Or rotated of 90 degrees?

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Thanks for finding that Ravin' Ray I wonder if Doom really needs those tourism dollars? I could see them perhaps promoting vineyards, if anything, Doom is fond of his wine. I seem to remember that there was some story where Doom stirred up some mischief just to be able to annex a neighboring country (Slovenia?) and thereby obtain their vineyards. Can't recall offhand what storyline that was but here we do have Doom checking in on the situation in Slovenia, a neighboring country to Latveria, when war erupted there as a result of Thor moving Asgard to Earth and thereby creating Thor Cults (unintentionally) all over the world
    It was Slokovia. Strange mix between Sokovia and Slovakia. Slovenia doesn’t border with Latveria: there’s Hungary in between (and Serbia). Nor does Slovakia, actually.

More than tourism income, he’s probably interested in his Nation having a positive impact on foreigners. So maybe people would understand that Latveria it’s ok the way it is, doesn’t need foreign powers and super-heroes to “save” it. Just, maybe putting himself on the advertisement isn’t exactly the best marketing strategy from Victor’s part: looks more like a threat than anything! :P

Quote Originally Posted by FRC Coazze View Post
    That’s a nice advertisement, Latveria is objectively a beautiful Country.

Are these covers wrap-around? Or rotated of 90 degrees?

It was Slokovia. Strange mix between Sokovia and Slovakia. Slovenia doesn’t border with Latveria: there’s Hungary in between (and Serbia). Nor does Slovakia, actually.

More than tourism income, he’s probably interested in his Nation having a positive impact on foreigners. So maybe people would understand that Latveria it’s ok the way it is, doesn’t need foreign powers and super-heroes to “save” it. Just, maybe putting himself on the advertisement isn’t exactly the best marketing strategy from Victor’s part: looks more like a threat than anything! :P
    Yeah, Doom's somewhat frightening image is not exactly going to inspire a lot of tourists. Thanks for the correction on the country involved. I should have referred to the dialogue in this crossover.

BTW, I wonder how the annexation of Symkaria is going along. AFAIK it hasn't been mentioned anywhere since the Doctor Doom solo ended. I'd like a progress report on Kristoff since he is in charge of it these days. I don't think it matches with maps I've seen before . According to the fan supported Marvel Database, Doom quietly annexed Slokovia in that crossover between Iron Man, Captain America and Thor called Stand-Off (2003). Another earlier annexation occurs in Doom's reign. This country used to be called Rotruvia and according to the same site, it was mentioned in All New, All Different Avengers #15. I will have to check that out.

The map below includes more real world countries and not as many as those fictional ones of the Marvel Universe.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 04-05-2022 at 01:02 PM.

This was such a fun story arc.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Thanks for finding that Ravin' Ray I wonder if Doom really needs those tourism dollars?
    My dear Iron Maiden,

Wouldn't you, as the former Latverian Tourism secretary, have intimate knowledge of that?

For those not in the know, IM used to identify herself as the head of Latverian Tourism department, before the board reboot. I once asked her how her job was affected by the change in management when Kristoff assumed regency of Latveria following the loss of his mental acuity in the wake of Fall of the Hulks, and she said something to the effect that she was ok, at least she wasn't the royal rat catcher. Ah, the days of the old board.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    My dear Iron Maiden,

Wouldn't you, as the former Latverian Tourism secretary, have intimate knowledge of that?

For those not in the know, IM used to identify herself as the head of Latverian Tourism department, before the board reboot. I once asked her how her job was affected by the change in management when Kristoff assumed regency of Latveria following the loss of his mental acuity in the wake of Fall of the Hulks, and she said something to the effect that she was ok, at least she wasn't the royal rat catcher. Ah, the days of the old board.
    As you can see, I was promoted to ambassador!

Just catching up with Twitter and saw this...... MARVEL MAKE IT SO!

Extraordinary Member

Does Victor know about Caroline Le Fay yet?

You mean that they have a daughter together that he doesn't know about?

Extraordinary Member

You mean that they have a daughter together that he doesn't know about?
    So he still doesn’t know. That’s want I wanted to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    So he still doesn’t know. That’s want I wanted to know.
    AFAIK, Caroline only appeared in the Fearless Defenders and no one has really used her in a story since. IMO she needs a makeover. Dump the idea that she is an old woman that was born in the past and then somehow ended up in the present. I think they should roll back her age and change her looks. I suppose there's an argument to be made that Caroline is half human so perhaps she ages quicker than her mother. But most of the time she was drawn, she looked like Bea Arthur. They need to change that IMO. They should bring her back at a younger stage in her life. She probably isn't as long lived as her mother but she could have some longevity factors in her physiology.

San Diego, CA and Den of Madness, Castle Doom, Latveria

As minister of maps, I have to interject ...

LATmap.jpg

But there are others ...
    OHOT Marvel Universe 4 pg10.jpg

The lower is older. There have been additions, since then.
    Last edited by DoomScribe; 04-06-2022 at 05:43 PM.
    "Because ... I am Doom
    ... What Gods dare stand against me?"

Posting from the dungeon of Castle Doom, Latveria

Quote Originally Posted by DoomScribe View Post
    As minister of maps, I have to interject ...

LATmap.jpg

But there are others ...
    OHOT Marvel Universe 4 pg10.jpg

The lower is older. There have been additions, since then.
    Yes, I recall the older maps, which I notice does not include Symkaria. When was the first mention of Symkaria? I imagine it had to be in the Silver Sable series.

I think we can presume that much like the RW, that part of Europe in the MU went through some sweeping changes at one point. Yugoslavia is gone and now you have Serbia, Kosova, Bosnia, etc.

Yes, I recall the older maps, which I notice does not include Symkaria. When was the first mention of Symkaria? I imagine it had to be in the Silver Sable series.

I think we can presume that much like the RW, that part of Europe in the MU went through some sweeping changes at one point. Yugoslavia is gone and now you have Serbia, Kosova, Bosnia, etc.
    According to the Marvel Database, Symkaria was first mentioned in The Amazing Spider-Man #265 (March, 1985):
    Last edited by K7P5V; 04-06-2022 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.