Page 21 of 82 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171 ... LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    A) I don't think you're right. B) If it were to be true, villains having a publicly accepted organization that holds events is different from supposed heroes on a dumb ethnostate dressing up like total idiots and everyone participating.
    As I said in my original post, before they decided to go public, the Hellfire Club in the X-Men had gatherings. Not public gatherings but they did have them for their members. After all, Claremont based it on the legendary club in England only that Hellfire Club practiced black magic etc. If fact there is an episoce of the old Avengers show that Claremont borrowed heavily from since they drugged Emma Peel and made her their Black Queen. CBR's Brian Cronin did a column about it a while back.

A) I don't think you're right. B) If it were to be true, villains having a publicly accepted organization that holds events is different from supposed heroes on a dumb ethnostate dressing up like total idiots and everyone participating.
    You're right and wrong at the same time. The Hellfire Club and their meetings/parties are long established in the Marvel Universe. You even see the Club make an appearance in the mini-series "The Further Adventures of Cyclops & Phoenix" and takes place in the 1850s England, in which a recently awakened Apocalypse is invited and murders some of the members. (which is a great series btw)

Where I agree with you is that this is a clandestine club with nefarious motives and is not something akin to a national gala, or in this case a international gala, where the elites and heads of government have a very public celebration. I simply do not recognize modern X-men, I'm not sure if I'm now officially old or something, but the X-men haven't been the X-men to me in so long.
    Last edited by Doombot; 04-15-2022 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    You're right and wrong at the same time. The Hellfire Club and their meetings/parties are long established in the Marvel Universe. You even see the Club make an appearance in the mini-series "The Further Adventures of Cyclops & Phoenix" and takes place in the 1850s England, in which a recently awakened Apocalypse in invited and murders some of the members. (which is a great series btw)

Where I agree with you is that this is a clandestine club with nefarious motives and is not something akin to a national gala, or in this case a international gala, where the elites and heads of government have a very public celebration. I simply do not recognize modern X-men, I'm not sure if I'm now officially old or something, but the X-men haven't been the X-men to me in so long.
    I'm in the same situation. I tried to get interested in them again with Hickman's run but that didn't work for me either. To tell the truth, I haven't liked them since Emma's star has risen.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

The Hellfire Club tried to recruit Namor in Uncanny X-Men (1963) Annual 2 (released 2009), there was a whole party, Tony Stark and other rich people were there. They weren't public about it, just had a party and secret meetings later. For the Krakoa Era the Hellfire Club is less of a secret organization and more of a publicity stunt. I hate this era of X-Men but I am enjoying the fashion/looks that artists have been putting out.

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    You're right and wrong at the same time. The Hellfire Club and their meetings/parties are long established in the Marvel Universe. You even see the Club make an appearance in the mini-series "The Further Adventures of Cyclops & Phoenix" and takes place in the 1850s England, in which a recently awakened Apocalypse is invited and murders some of the members. (which is a great series btw)

Me and a lot of my friends don't like this era of X-Men either, the characters are so OOC and it's annoying to see how Marvel just tosses anything that could challenge the status quo they have set up just so that people can keep writing about this "Utopia" island. Every time Marvel tries to separate the mutants into their own island something goes wrong and this time it's the quality of character writing. IMO The X-Men should be about the mutants trying to live in the world, not apart from it, and def not making their own mutant world on Mars. :/

IMO I think Doom would be more insulted if he wasn't invited, it's not that he cares or that he really wants to go to the mutant party but more of a "I can't believe they didn't invite me just so I could choose whether I want to laugh in their faces or grace them with my presence!!!"

Doom just likes to be acknowledged and treated with the respect he feels he deserves.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Even if Doom wasn't invited I think he'd show up anyway. When I saw Dauterman's design for what Doom choose to wear this time I have to think Doom really wants to show everyone up. He didn't do any formal dress for last year's gala and maybe he figures he made a mistake. Now he wants to prove he's just as fashionable as the rest of those clods! He probably had some designer working on this for a while and he probably came up with a lot of the design elements himself
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 04-16-2022 at 11:17 AM.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Even if Doom wasn't invited I think he'd show up anyway. When I saw Dauterman's design for what Doom choose to wear this time I have to think Doom really wants to show everyone up. He didn't do any formal dress for last year's gala and maybe he figures he made a mistake. Now he wants to prove he's just as fashionable as the rest of those clods! He probably had some designer working on this for a while and he probably came up with a lot of the design elements himself
    I love the design soooo much! I would bet that each gold thread had some real gold spun in it or something, Doom loves to show off XD The mask is so cool too!
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

It does make one wonder what Doom's closet looks like. I was watching a rerun of Sex and the City and it showed Carrie & Mr Big's fancy NYC apartment. She had a special closet just for her shoes. Maybe Doom has a special wardrobe section in his private chambers that has differen masks and capes. Some of the capes would be trimmed with fur for winter wear. Maybe some of his suits he wore during the Infamous Iron Man phase would be there.

He probably burned the suit he wore to that disaster of a wedding

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

He wasn't too impressed with their entertainment either
    Which leads to the fact that Doom is able to paint, and play the piano, with his freaking gauntlets on! That takes extraordinary skill, no superpowers needed. I guess with that accomplishment it's easy for him to dismiss others as lesser talent.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Which leads to the fact that Doom is able to paint, and play the piano, with his freaking gauntlets on! That takes extraordinary skill, no superpowers needed. I guess with that accomplishment it's easy for him to dismiss others as lesser talent.
    I always thought it was a bit over the top to show him playing the piano with heavy gauntlets on unless the keyboard is specially built to accomdate them. I liked how Byrne addressed that in his Fantastic Four story Terror in a Tiny Town.

Slightly disappointed that Oscar Isaac is Moon Knight and not Dr Doom in the MCU.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Slightly disappointed that Oscar Isaac is Moon Knight and not Dr Doom in the MCU.
    I have to agree with you there. I think it would have been a great choice.

San Diego, CA and Den of Madness, Castle Doom, Latveria

I have to agree with you there. I think it would have been a great choice.
    I disagree, too short.
    "Because ... I am Doom
    ... What Gods dare stand against me?"

Posting from the dungeon of Castle Doom, Latveria

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    we need a stunt man in a suit... and Morgan Freeman doing the voice over.
    In the real world i would be BOTH pro registration and Pro mutant rights. Xavier and Trask were both right.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartofTheStoriesWeTell View Post
    we need a stunt man in a suit... and Morgan Freeman doing the voice over.
    No, I have to disagree on the voice. My head canon is that Doom would of course speak English very well but still have a slight accent. I'm trying to think of someone today who could do it but until I can come up with someone I think back to the Hammer version of Phantom of the Opera. Czech born actor Herbert Lom played that Phantom in that one and anytime that movie shows up on cable or streming I think he would have been a good voice actor for Doom. He acted in many British films so his accent is more British than Eastern European.

San Diego, CA and Den of Madness, Castle Doom, Latveria

No, I have to disagree on the voice. My head canon is that Doom would of course speak English very well but still have a slight accent. I'm trying to think of someone today who could do it but until I can come up with someone I think back to the Hammer version of Phantom of the Opera. Czech born actor Herbert Lom played that Phantom in that one and anytime that movie shows up on cable or streming I think he would have been a good voice actor for Doom. He acted in many British films so his accent is more British than Eastern European.
    Agreed, less British more Eastern European. Maybe the President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelenskyy will have some time to learn better English if he has to flee his country ... slava ukraini! He sounds more Russian to my ear though.

Good idea of a stunt man in the costume. Darth Vader had to be played by three people (four if you count Anakin Skywalker). That's not a bad way to go, most serious actors want to have their face seen. Something that bothered me about the last Spider-man movie, they kept taking off their masks!
    ds
    "Because ... I am Doom
    ... What Gods dare stand against me?"

Posting from the dungeon of Castle Doom, Latveria