Page 25 of 82 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by megatillo View Post
    Completely agree. Doom Above All is so disappointing, feels like writers want to keep raising the bar on how horrific Doom can be to the point where there is simply no semblance to the character other than the costume. Doom on Doom torture/kill is not what I want to read. I don't really get how these Dooms are getting "broken" unless something mystical is happening because the will of Doom is nigh unbreakable in any universe. My hope is something deeper is happening because it is still a mystery as to what Doom Above All thinks is coming that makes Mephisto's plans irrelevant. Maybe 616 Doom is uniquely qualified to save the day, as he did in Secret Wars 2015. Saving the multiverse should have earned 616 Doom have a special place across timelines/universes.

I really liked how Maestro World War M explored the nature of "villainy". It really speaks to how these villainous characters are heroes to themselves regardless of how the rest of the world sees them. Thoughtful stuff. The hero or villain label really depends on the perspective of the watcher.
    Aaron's writing his characters so extra. It works with a character like Thor (recent retcons to his origin aside) but pair him with a character like Doom and he misses all the nuance and it reads like a straight up parody though maybe that's the point since this is an AU version. I have the same problem with Cates and I want both writers to stay away from 616 Doom.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Fortunately AFAIK Cates hasn't done anything with Doom has he? If so it might have been a panel or two appearance that are so obscure or minor that they are not noted anywhere.

As for Aaron, he did have a promising start in his Incredible Hulk run back in 2011-2012 with Doom. His story dealt with the dual personalities that plagued both Banner and the Hulk. In Aaron's take, neither had access to the other's thoughts when one had control of the body. The Hulk personna wanted to get rid of Banner altogether and had connected many others off panel to see if they could do it and Doom was the only one to agree.

Then we get this extended scene of Victor the brain surgeon using an admantium saw to cut through the Hulk's skull so he could proceed. The frustrating part of this series is that he introduced this character called Amanda von Doom but I can't recall if we ever got much of a back story on her. She does tell Banner that she is no relation but I find that unlikely. We do know that Doom has a cousin in the U.S who is a dentist named Bob Doom who menanced She Hulk.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Fortunately AFAIK Cates hasn't done anything with Doom has he? If so it might have been a panel or two appearance that are so obscure or minor that they are not noted anywhere.
    I don't think he have. I was talking more on a hypothetical. Though I think he's a good fit for Maker who Cates seems to enjoy writing.

As for Aaron, he did have a promising start in his Incredible Hulk run back in 2011-2012 with Doom. His story dealt with the dual personalities that plagued both Banner and the Hulk. In Aaron's take, neither had access to the other's thoughts when one had control of the body. The Hulk personna wanted to get rid of Banner altogether and had connected many others off panel to see if they could do it and Doom was the only one to agree.

Then we get this extended scene of Victor the brain surgeon using an admantium saw to cut through the Hulk's skull so he could proceed. The frustrating part of this series is that he introduced this character called Amanda von Doom but I can't recall if we ever got much of a back story on her. She does tell Banner that she is no relation but I find that unlikely. We do know that Doom has a cousin in the U.S who is a dentist named Bob Doom who menanced She Hulk.

Aaron was good a few years ago. God Butcher/Godbomb were great which I consider peak Aaron. I don't understand what happened to his writing in the last few years.

George Perez (RIP)

So basically the Doom Above all is the equivalent of the guy from Red Dragon?

I don't really see a connection other than the disfigurement. And unless I missed something this Doom doesn't put in his mother's false teeth! What connection do you see?
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-09-2022 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    George Perez (RIP)
    Is this from Infinity Gauntlet? It's been a while since I read that.

The frustrating part of this series is that he introduced this character called Amanda von Doom but I can't recall if we ever got much of a back story on her. She does tell Banner that she is no relation but I find that unlikely. We do know that Doom has a cousin in the U.S who is a dentist named Bob Doom who menanced She Hulk.
    I know, right?! She's only ever appeared in Aaron's Banner series. It'd be interesting to know more about her, though...

Is this from Infinity Gauntlet? It's been a while since I read that.
    It sure is, Iron Maiden! Infinity Gauntlet #2, to be exact.

I don't really see a connection other than the disfigurement. And unless I missed something this Doom doesn't put in his mother's false teeth! What connection to you see?
    He keeps saying "Do you see?"

Plus he may not be using his dead mom's teeth, but he is still wearing someone's skin as armor, which admittedly is more Lecter.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    That part I don't remember so I will take your word for it

That part I don't remember so I will take your word for it
    He kept saying this to his "captive" audience and from what was written it seems he did this over and over to the other Doom's under his "command"...which of course begs the question what happens when him and 616 Doom meet?

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post

Plus he may not be using his dead mom's teeth, but he is still wearing someone's skin as armor, which admittedly is more Lecter.
    Ah, I think we're not syncing up here. Having read the book and seen the movie, Hannibal Lector is not the one who wears his victim's skin. Lector practices cannibalism. Clarice begins having talks with Lector to see if he will provide the identity of another killer Jame Gumb nicknamed Buffalo Bill. He murders overweight women and wears their skin. Red Dragon's killer is Francis Dollarhyde. He would murder famililes sometimes by knife or other times gunshot and stage the bodies to take their pictures. He would bite them with the false teeth. I don't recall him saying "do you see" but it's been a while since I've read the book or watched that movie.

Default Sixtieth Anniversary of the Debut of Doctor Victor Von Doom

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-08-2022 at 10:58 PM.

OMG! Sixtieth Anniversary already?! Time sure does fly...

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    [center]OMG! Sixtieth Anniversary already?! Time sure does fly...
    It sure does!

I'm glad you posted that Jack Kirby page from FF #84 that was remastered a while back. That's why I also chose my image of a Doctor Doom poster, which IIRC was part of the first set Marvel ever did back in the 1970s. Here is the Marvel House Ad and I think it was the only Doom poster out there for many years. If you had one of these to sell on eBay they went for crazy prices.

This is the original page from FF#84

I have been meaning to start this tribute ever since I saw a CBR column by Brian Cronin a little while back mentioninig Doom's anniversary about Doom's 60th anniversary being reached in April. Comic books in that era had an avanced cover date so they would stay on the racks longer before they would be sent back to the distributor. So I was going to use the cover date of July but the CBR article reminded me it really hit the stands in April of 1962