Page 26 of 82 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676 ... LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post

This is so awesome! Well done, Iron Maiden!

Bring out the giant goblets and start the dramatic piano music!
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

San Diego, CA and Den of Madness, Castle Doom, Latveria

Time is Up 2.jpg

Doctor Doom approves.
    "Because ... I am Doom
    ... What Gods dare stand against me?"

Posting from the dungeon of Castle Doom, Latveria

San Diego, CA and Den of Madness, Castle Doom, Latveria

Also, RIP George Perez.

George Perez pencils 2012.jpg
    "Because ... I am Doom
    ... What Gods dare stand against me?"

Posting from the dungeon of Castle Doom, Latveria

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post

To the utmost, I agree.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post

Doom proposed a toast for the occassion but Namor is a bit under the weather...

Doom....As It Began

If you were old enough or lucky enough to have bought a copy of one the Marvel titles that came out in early 1962, you may have seen this house ad previewing Fantastic Four #5. The first issue of Incredible Hulk came out in March of 1962 so it is likely Stan had a house ad placed in that issue so in some ways this could be called the first appearance of Doctor Doom comic book fans of that era.

As I mentioned earlier, even though Fantastic Four #5 has a cover date of July the issue really hit the newstands in April of 1962. Some of you may find this "old news" but we still may have some of the uninitiated out there

This was the debut of Doctor Doom in the Marvel Universe. I know there are a lot of younger readers that really just can't get into reading Silver Age comics. I think that is a shame and perhaps the writing style of Stan Lee seems dated. Stan never met an adjective he didn't like. Because Marvel was still not on a monthly schedule with their releases, Stan and Jack pack a lot of material in just one issue. Even the title page gives you some pretty basic information about Doom that has been his hallmark even to this day. The books on his desk cover the topics of Science and Sorcery.

Doom would return two more times in 1961. Issue #6 featured the team up of Doctor Doom and the Sub-Mariner, a character from Marvel's very beginnings, in the very next issue. Fantastic Four #6 went on sale in June of 1962 and issue #10 which hit the news stands in October of 1962 but had a cover date of January 1963. It is interesting to note that Doctor Doom and Sub-Mariner would get repeat appearaces in the Fantastic Four in 1962. It's like Stan and Jack had already decided to invest in these characters at an early stage. The only other character from 1961-1962 that continues to make appearances now and then is the Mole Man. The Miracle Man has only one other appearance IIRC. The Skrulls in issue #2, you know the ones that Reed talked into make themselves into cows would later show up in a John Byrne Fantastic Four story.

continuing...

Most of issue #5 deals with the Fantastic Four's trip into the past where Ben gets to play pirate but in this issue we get introduced to some key elements that still are part of the lore of Doctor Doom in the present day. The books on that opening splash page deal with demons, science and sorcery. This is one part of his character that Reed has always acted dismissive about...that Doom actually believes in sorcery. Sometimes that skepticism backfires on him. It really is being obstinate since he doesn't have the same attituded with Dr. Strange.

Another element that gets its debut is the much used Time Platform. But more on that later.

Unfortunately the Doom shark copter has only had one appearance as far as I know.

One last thing.....Doom's pet tiger also appears.

And it Dan Slott's Fantastic Four #33 we find out his name. And now Doom has 2 tigers! And don't think Slott gave us the name of the second one. Let's just call him Son of Gunther.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Great write up, Iron Maiden! Poor Sue, a hostage again. But TIGERS!

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    To the utmost, I agree. ; )

Yassssss! I knew someone would have the piano panel. Thank you!

Doom proposed a toast for the occassion but Namor is a bit under the weather...

LOL! As he often is when Doom visits.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Thanks Reviresco! Later I will be covering the rest of Doom's appearances in that inaugural year of 1962 so Namor is coming up!
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-11-2022 at 08:00 PM.

In Italy Doom’s first story was published for the first time on a supplement to the anthological comics magazine Linus #23 in February 1967. The translator at the time gave him the name “Dottor Fato”. Here’s the first page:

Unfortunately, Fantastic Four's (and american superhero comics in general) reception was pretty underwhelming (maybe due to the fact that they were printed in black and white) so Linus swiftly dropped them. In 1970 publisher Corno started the regular publication of Marvel comics. Spider-man came first, than, in 1971, it was the turn of Fantastic Four.
    On issue #3, dated 4th May 1971 (which published Fantastic Four #4 and #5), we find again our beloved latverian dictator’s debut story. This time the name is “Dottor Destino”, which is his final italian name, and the story is simply titled “Il Dottor Destino” (“Doctor Doom”). Here’s 1971 first page:

I do understand the difficulties to give him an italian name, since there’s no word in italian for “Doom”. I like Destino (destiny) more, it has a beautiful sound and doesn’t have a purely negative meaning, but “Fato” (fate) is definitely more accurate. You can change your destiny, but you can’t escape fate!
    Last edited by FRC Coazze; 05-11-2022 at 11:12 AM.

Oh, and I forgot!

I toast "to this historic occasion and the days to come"!

Thanks for contributing to the celebration FRC Coazze! Every Doom fan is welcome to contribute so don't hesitate!

Doom....As It Began

If you were old enough or lucky enough to have bought a copy of one the Marvel titles that came out in early 1962, you may have seen this house ad previewing Fantastic Four #5. The first issue of Incredible Hulk came out in March of 1962 so it is likely Stan had a house ad placed in that issue so in some ways this could be called the first appearance of Doctor Doom comic book fans of that era.

As I mentioned earlier, even though Fantastic Four #5 has a cover date of July the issue really hit the newstands in April of 1962. Some of you may find this "old news" but we still may have some of the uninitiated out there

This was the debut of Doctor Doom in the Marvel Universe. I know there are a lot of younger readers that really just can't get into reading Silver Age comics. I think that is a shame and perhaps the writing style of Stan Lee seems dated. Stan never met an adjective he didn't like. Because Marvel was still not on a monthly schedule with their releases, Stan and Jack pack a lot of material in just one issue. Even the title page gives you some pretty basic information about Doom that has been his hallmark even to this day. The books on his desk cover the topics of Science and Sorcery.

Doom would return two more times in 1961. Issue #6 featured the team up of Doctor Doom and the Sub-Mariner, a character from Marvel's very beginnings, in the very next issue. Fantastic Four #6 went on sale in June of 1962 and issue #10 which hit the news stands in October of 1962 but had a cover date of January 1963. It is interesting to note that Doctor Doom and Sub-Mariner would get repeat appearaces in the Fantastic Four in 1962. It's like Stan and Jack had already decided to invest in these characters at an early stage. The only other character from 1961-1962 that continues to make appearances now and then is the Mole Man. The Miracle Man has only one other appearance IIRC. The Skrulls in issue #2, you know the ones that Reed talked into make themselves into cows would later show up in a John Byrne Fantastic Four story.
    Thanks for posting this Iron Maiden! This was my first Dr Doom story/introduction to the character (read it in the pages of Bring on the Bad Guys! by Stan Lee).

Great stuff!
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Thanks Cronus! There's more to come so stay tuned. Feel free to post any memories of your first impressions, etc.

I remember getting Bring on the Bad Guys too. One thing I may cover is all the various publications outside of the comics.

Default The First Super-Villain Team-Up

Fantastic Four #6 (Release date June 12th 1962)

Doom would return two more times in 1962. Having made his escape at the end of issue #5 Doom returns in issue #6. His last appearance of 1962 would be in issue #10 which hit the news stands in October. At this point one assumes that Doom is living on the East Coast of the U.S. In later appearances we would find out that the castle in issue #5 is the Adirondacks in upstate New York. At this point there is no mention of his being from another country.

This time instead of facing the Fantastic Four alone Doom seeks out Prince Namor the Sub-Mariner who made his debut in the nascent Marvel Universe in issue #4. They agree to meet at Namor's new home that lies among the ruins of Atlantis.

In a manner that reminds one of Iago Doom goads Namor into seeking revenge on the surface world, starting with the Fantastic Four. Jack Kirby does some brilliant panel work showing Namor being swayed by Doom. But little does Namor know that Doom will also target Namor since he also considers him an obstacle in his path for world conquest. He equips Namor with a device called in as a grabber (which doesn't sound very high tech !) and Namor conceals in the Baxter Building before going to the Fantastic Four's quarters.

When the Baxter Building is suddenly propelled into the upper atmosphere Namor releases he's trapped along with the Fantastic Four. Each of the FF try to reach Doom's ship to thwart his plans, that is except Sue who has fainted from lack of oxygen. Unfortunately her character is still portrayed as a somewhat delicate female and lacks the confidence that she shows in later issues. So it's up to Namor to leap from meteor to meteor untill he reaches Doom's ship which is towing the Baxter Building into outer space. Doom sends a charge of electricity to the outer hull to thwart Namor but instead he absorbs it and returns it back. Doom opens up an escape hatch and latches on to a meteor that sends him hurtling into outer space. This would be the first of Doom's amazing escapes and it's probably the most outlandish.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-15-2022 at 09:09 AM.