Page 3 of 82 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    I have not seen Blade Runner yet but yes, itīs quite crazy which I guess helps to sell the story because "comics" but also because he was not really aware it was a doombot, itīs still a mess but is better than leaving it as Bendis did, it isnt a good look for Clint that instead of helping Wanda when she was amnesiac, that he just decided to sleep with her and just leave her there without helping her since heīs supposed to be her friend. This doombot retcon doensīt erase that but at least it wasnīt really Wanda.

You know, I think Slott and Cantwell are writting a different version of Zora and thatīs the problem. Slott always wrote her as the right hand woman of Victor, unconditional supporter of Latveria and the one who managed to push him towards leading the country once again while Doom was deppressed for not being able to become a superhero and Cantwell introduced Zoraīs backstory with her parents that definitely puts her in Kristoff place as Doomīs heir, right hand and emotional support. So my guess is that Slott didnīt want to erase his original version of Zora and Doom story so he went with a marriage for them, even if it was a ceremonial one instead of an adoption, I could see Slott version of Zora agreeging while it would be strange for Cantwell Zora to do so. In the end I think this is why the marriage was a dead end from the beggining because Slott could not take back the changes Cantwell introduced in the dynamic with Zora and Victor but he seems to be ok with going on with her being his right hand.

About Reed, what I liked about "Bride of Doom" was that both Reed and Victor were really trying this time, like Reed didnīt want to use the opotunity to spy Doom and Victor stopped all his projects to attack the FF4 and it was nice to see the main reason behind that is that at some level both admit the other is the one person who can really challenge them intellectually and if they couldo only get over their issues, they could even be friends at some point. I think Reed remembers that other AU Victor whoīs his friend who asked him to not give up on his own Victor and I think after Cantwell series itīs clear Doom is starting to feel alone and in need of having a positive relationship with people he can see as his equal and the closest person of that for him is Reed. Thatīs how I see it.
    Now that you mention it, I forgot that Doom actually asked Reed to be his best man, well maybe not asked but he challenged him to a duel as a condition. He'd never ask directly because he would feel that would be like begging.

You know what might be interesting is if Victorious would get her own one shot issue but I think I would prefer if Cantwell wrote it. I don't get a sense that Slott is that deep of a writer.

That is one of my favorite Doom action figures that I have. I can't imagine that the Thanos fans are too happy with it though. I remember when I first saw the previews of this figure it cracked me up that Hasbro chose to include the skull and spinal column of Thanos . I think that it's a bit off scale and should be a bit bigger.

This is probably one of the most memorable scenes in Hickman's Secret Wars.

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    I'd love to see him go against the X-Men, inhumans and Avengers, and this scene in the MCU.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 01-03-2022 at 12:09 AM.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Thanks! If you don't mind I can move this to the page where I have the other reading materials.
    Of course! and you're welcome!

Saw this Doom art on twitter

I wish I wasn't so bothered whenever Doom is given blue eyes instead of brown, which happens alot with any doom art, official or unofficial.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Now that you mention it, I forgot that Doom actually asked Reed to be his best man, well maybe not asked but he challenged him to a duel as a condition. He'd never ask directly because he would feel that would be like begging.
    Yes Doom asked Reed to be his best man, I enjoyed their fight a lot because Reed was like "Surely Victor is going to ask me to help him do something horrible if heīs trying to get a favor from me" , while Victor is like "Reed Richards, I have defeated you in fair duel now, will you be my best man?" like aww I thought that was fun and nice and something that made sense for them. So when the Zora/Jonny deal is revealed this scene became more strong, I could feel Reed sadness over losing the opportunity to get over their feud and be called Victoīs best man and Doom once again thought he could only trust himself. I didnīt like all parts of this story but I think this part was well done.

You know what might be interesting is if Victorious would get her own one shot issue but I think I would prefer if Cantwell wrote it. I don't get a sense that Slott is that deep of a writer.
    Yes I agree Cantwell has a great handle on her character, Slottīs Zora can be fun but I enjoyed how well Cantwell explored her thoughts about her identity, motivations and interactions with Doom. He writes her more fleshed out.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Of course! and you're welcome!
    Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post

I wish I wasn't so bothered whenever Doom is given blue eyes instead of brown, which happens alot with any doom art, official or unofficial.
    I know what you mean. Even in Doom's many comic appearances the eye color has been all over the place. Funny though I don't mind it so much when they color his eyes green instead of brown like they should be.

Yes Doom asked Reed to be his best man, I enjoyed their fight a lot because Reed was like "Surely Victor is going to ask me to help him do something horrible if heīs trying to get a favor from me" , while Victor is like "Reed Richards, I have defeated you in fair duel now, will you be my best man?" like aww I thought that was fun and nice and something that made sense for them. So when the Zora/Jonny deal is revealed this scene became more strong, I could feel Reed sadness over losing the opportunity to get over their feud and be called Victoīs best man and Doom once again thought he could only trust himself. I didnīt like all parts of this story but I think this part was well done.
    That is probably the only part I liked about that whole wedding event...that Reed realized there was a missed opportunity there. I went back and gave the issue a quick glance and Doom even went to his weapons design facillty and told the staff to stop work on current projects. I know Slott built up this flirtation thing with Johnny and Zora all the way back to her first appearances but she never showed any interest. This one nighter thing was just so contrived.

Yes I agree Cantwell has a great handle on her character, Slottīs Zora can be fun but I enjoyed how well Cantwell explored her thoughts about her identity, motivations and interactions with Doom. He writes her more fleshed out.
    I think because he has worked so much in the TV and film industry that he has a better handle on how to write dialogue and really get into characterizations. He did direct one movie called The Parts You Lose that I saw on cable during the pandemic. I've never seen Halt and Catch Fire but it's gotten great reviews when it was on the air and had a lot of fans.

He really did a lot of work on his Doom series and I really liked the way he handled the character. He's one of the few writers that realizes that Doom can be funny at times. He can have a sarcastic bent of humor.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 01-03-2022 at 10:28 AM.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

That is probably the only part I liked about that whole wedding event...that Reed realized there was a missed opportunity there. I went back and gave the issue a quick glance and Doom even went to his weapons design facillty and told the staff to stop work on current projects. I know Slott built up this flirtation thing with Zora all the way back to her first appearances but she never showed any interest. This one nighter thing was just so contrived.

Yes I think the marriage story was done mostly because Slott wanted to end Johnny relationship with Sky and put some distance between Zora and Doom and it felt forced, Slott writting of Reed and Victor was the best of the story or at least the part that was given more attention in characterization.

I think because he has worked so much in the TV and film industry that he has a better handle on how to write dialogue and really get into characterizations. He did direct one movie called The Parts You Lose that I saw on cable during the pandemic. I've never seen Halt and Catch Fire but it's gotten great reviews when it was on the air and had a lot of fans.
    I think you are right his characterization flows with the plot very well and in few issues he manages to make an exploration of the main motivations of the characters so the reader gets a clear idea of who they are and why they are acting that way. Heinberg also worked on TV and his work was also very strong on the characterization

He really did a lot of work on his Doom series and I really liked the way he handled the character. He's one of the few writers that realizes that Doom can be funny at times. He can have a sarcastic bent of humor.
    Exactly, Doom has a sense of humor and knows where to look to have fun, itīs great when writers add this part to intimidating characters because it makes them feel more like real people.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 01-03-2022 at 01:11 AM.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Interesting choice of panels. It's been a long time since I've read the FF with spikey Thing. Thanks...I like these better that the first choice you made
    Dunno about you, but I've always been rather partial towards Spikey Grimm

He's not. Victorious is a great new character, though. She's almost like a personification of Doom's good qualities in loyalty and love for Latveria. Granted she does have a dark side and her morals do not necessarily correspond to ours, but the shades of grey seen in her and Doom are what make these stories more than just simplistic battle scenes.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Does anyone think this is the year in any of the MCU projects (film or tv) that we will finally get our first hints of SOMETHING Doom related? Whether its Latveria, the mention of his name, or if the rumors are true that actress Lake Bell is going to be Lucia Von Bardas in Black Panther: Wakanda Forever....

Quote Originally Posted by Doom Answers to No Master View Post
    Does anyone think this is the year in any of the MCU projects (film or tv) that we will finally get our first hints of SOMETHING Doom related? Whether its Latveria, the mention of his name, or if the rumors are true that actress Lake Bell is going to be Lucia Von Bardas in Black Panther: Wakanda Forever....
    I sure hope we get some kind of Easter Egg or teaser during the ending credits of one of next year's releases. It would be great to see Lucia Von Bardas make an appearance and have it mentioned that she is from Latveria. I loved the way Julia Louis-Dreyfus surprisingly showed up as Contessa Valentian Allegra de Fontaine last year in Falcon/Winter Soldier and Black Widow

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    He's not. Victorious is a great new character, though. She's almost like a personification of Doom's good qualities in loyalty and love for Latveria. Granted she does have a dark side and her morals do not necessarily correspond to ours, but the shades of grey seen in her and Doom are what make these stories more than just simplistic battle scenes.
    There was a scene towards the end in Cantwell's Doom where Victorious decided she would still be loyal to Doom but questioned whether she would have to put the interests of Latveria ahead of his at one point. Slott gave us the dumb scene with Johnny hiding under her bed. That's the difference between the two writers in a nutshell.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

I was hoping for more with Wanda and Doom since they've not had much interaction since the Children's Crusade except for Axis as discussed above. I wish that writers would get to the point where Wanda doesn't hold a grudge anymore. Of the two outings this week I think the Wastlelanders one will be the better of the two. I am not familiar with the creative team but it certainly looks promising.
    Yeah, I wasn't very happy with the Doom and Wanda interaction in Darkhold.

I hope so. I was disappointed with the podcast about GoT and Doom in the Wastelands. Not enough Doom at all.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Yeah, I wasn't very happy with the Doom and Wanda interaction in Darkhold.

I hope so. I was disappointed with the podcast about GoT and Doom in the Wastelands. Not enough Doom at all.
    What podcast was that?

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Catch tomorrow’s Darkhold. Orlando really grasped Doom’s voice here. Not the best showing, but he wrote Doom to be Doom.