Page 33 of 82 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I couldn't believe it when Hasbro put out a Marvel Legends of the Hood as part of one of their Build a Figure waves. I've seen it at some Game Stops. I'm debating whether to get it just for the hell of it and have my Infamous Iron Man figure smack him around. I been trying to decide to get either the Hood or the Marvel Legends Arcade. that may make a good punching bag too.

BANNED

Because maybe I like to stir the pot just a bit:

Are Reed Richards and Victor von Doom friends that just don't know it or can't acknowledge it?

Justification:

In spite of all the, very real and powerful, slights (both perceived and real) they have given each other, can generationally gifted intellectuals like them not somehow have an intrinsic connection and, in some ways, beneficial rivalry that makes them both more than they would have been without the other? And that connection is known, but not acknowledged because of pride?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkshadow View Post
    Because maybe I like to stir the pot just a bit:

Are Reed Richards and Victor von Doom friends that just don't know it or can't acknowledge it?

Justification:

In spite of all the, very real and powerful, slights (both perceived and real) they have given each other, can generationally gifted intellectuals like them not somehow have an intrinsic connection and, in some ways, beneficial rivalry that makes them both more than they would have been without the other? And that connection is known, but not acknowledged because of pride?
    First of all, have you read the recent Doctor Doom mini series? Because I think there is a 3 page scene in issue 9 that perfectly displays their relationship. The writer shows how Reed can be very passive aggressive when it comes to dealing with Doom. But first, Mark Waid has a good scene in Unthinkable, from Victor's POV. First of all, let's take things back all the way to Doom's origins. His family was of humble means and frequently had to move around because the Romani are considered to be undesirables. Contrast that with Reed, whose father Nathaniel is a wealthy industrialist. Victor would equate him to the upper class in Europe that persecuted the Romani. For his part, Reed is pretty much oblivious to his priviledged status as compared to Victor's. Their first meeting in college receives a few brief pages in FF annual #2 but it is not that unrealistic for Victor to resent Reed snooping around his room and then telling him his calculations were off. This is something that would change over the years BTW and it turns out that they weren't off...just combined with some components dealing with magic.

But here's that scene from Mark Waid's FF #499 that describes Reed from Doom' perspective....

The part where Doom talks about Reed's arrogance being a mask to hide his insecurities could also interpreted as Doom subconsciously talking about himself

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-29-2022 at 10:44 PM.

A couple of news bits this week..... First of all Christopher Cantwell gave an interview on the Marvel site about his Iron Man series and not surprisingly the subject of Doom came up. Could this be a subtle hit that something might be brewing in the future? We can only hope.

Next, this was an intriguing development that was brought up in an article about the recent issue of Dark Reign: Omega. The article posted this panel from the story. Chip Zdarsky's Daredevil will be getting a relaunch soon and I wonder if an alliance with Doom and the Kingpin will be a major subplot. I can't think of any story in continuity where the two have met. Only that controversial panel from the special 9/11 issue that came out years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Next, this was an intriguing development that was brought up in an article about the recent issue of Dark Reign: Omega. The article posted this panel from the story. Chip Zdarsky's Daredevil will be getting a relaunch soon and I wonder if an alliance with Doom and the Kingpin will be a major subplot. I can't think of any story in continuity where the two have met. Only that controversial panel from the special 9/11 issue that came out years ago.
    With the many times he's employed "Doombots" throughout the years, I'm not sure this one counts.
    But Punisher #28 had both Doom & The Kingpin (among others) brought together by Loki for the event known as...

The Acts of Vengeance

Last edited by K7P5V; 06-01-2022 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Thanks, I had forgotten about that. But it was confusing as to when we saw the real Doom and when it was a Doombot! But that's just the way he rolls. Was this the Punisher tie in where Frank stole a portrait of Doom's parents?

BTW, when I get around to it the next part of the 60th Anniversary commeration will involve a discussion of his parents and other relatives.

Thanks, I had forgotten about that. But it was confusing as to when we saw the real Doom and when it was a Doombot! But that's just the way he rolls. Was this the Punisher tie in where Frank stole a portrait of Doom's parents?
    Yeah! Frank eventually returned it to Doom, though...

BTW, when I get around to it the next part of the 60th Anniversary commemoration will involve a discussion of his parents and other relatives.
    I can't wait! Totally looking forward to it!!

San Diego, CA and Den of Madness, Castle Doom, Latveria

Punisher 28 Dooms parents.jpg

The panel where Doom meets the Punisher in Punisher 28

ds
    "Because ... I am Doom
    ... What Gods dare stand against me?"

Posting from the dungeon of Castle Doom, Latveria

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

So, I just starting reading Bendis' Iron Man run and I have been enjoying Infamous Iron arc.

What were your guys' thoughts on Doomsy being a "good" guy?

I just wish we had more of him interacting with heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    So, I just starting reading Bendis' Iron Man run and I have been enjoying Infamous Iron arc.

What were your guys' thoughts on Doomsy being a "good" guy?

I just wish we had more of him interacting with heroes.

I'm not a huge Bendis fan but I thought he handled things quite well in Infamous Iron Man. I give him credit for following up on Hickman's Secret Wars ending where Reed had used the power of the Beyonders to restore Doom's face. I always expected that it wouldn't be permanent but it was fun while it lasted. I like how he really deflated Tony's ego for a while and even lost his new girl friend Amara to him! The relationship between Victor and Amara was well done and it's too bad that their expected child was probably never going to happen. It was just briefly noted in Cantwell's Doom series that she didn't carry the child to term. It's too bad that she's become one of those M.I.A characters that will probably be never seen again. The one thing that annoyed me was that Bendis for some reason had this fascination for the Hood and I became a bit annoyed with his presence in the book. Eventually we did get the return of Mephisto and it was one of his better schemes to bedevil Doom for thwarting him in Triumph and Torment and the Hood sort of fades away but shows up again Bendis's Iron Man.

I did like that Bendis brings in Doctor Strange at this point and he becomes an ally in the finale. They both have a healthy fear of Mephisto even if Bendis has a very quirky version of him that narrates the final battle. Earlier in the series Bendis had added the mysterious return of Doom's mother who we all know had died years ago. It shows Mephisto's desire to really twist the dagger to gain a bit of revenge on the mortal that once dared to defy him in his own realm and free a soul from his grasp. Artist Alex Maleev does a wonderful version of her.

The Thing plays his nemesis in the series too and he is even spooked by his mother's appearance at one point. What I found annoying is that no one ever follows up on this. Doom's Infamous Iron Man phase crosses over into the Marvel Two in One series for a while. This is a continuation of this strange period where for some reason Reed, Sue and the kids weren't allowed to appear in comics but Ben and Johnny were in their own series . None of this is ever mentioned when the Fantastic Four is restarted. Ben had to be rescued by Doom to stop the attack of the entity that was his mother. And even the nature of this being is so mysterious as she seems to have all the appearance of being genuine which makes her effect on Doom all the more clever of Mephisto. It's too bad the there are some reports out there that Marvel will not be using Mephisto in the MCU. IMO it was always a slim chance that they would even use Triumph and Torment as a plot in their scheme of things but if this is true than it's very unlikely we will ever see a Marvel film that features this. Perhaps in their animated stuff? I wish they could do Infamous Iron Man too.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 06-03-2022 at 08:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DoomScribe View Post
    Punisher 28 Dooms parents.jpg

The panel where Doom meets the Punisher in Punisher 28

ds
    Yeah! That two-parter (Punisher #28/Punisher #29) was a total blast!!

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

I'm not a huge Bendis fan but I thought he handled things quite well in Infamous Iron Man. I give him credit for following up on Hickman's Secret Wars ending where Reed had used the power of the Beyonders to restore Doom's face. I always expected that it wouldn't be permanent but it was fun while it lasted. I like how he really deflated Tony's ego for a while and even lost his new girl friend Amara to him! The relationship between Victor and Amara was well done and it's too bad that their expected child was probably never going to happen. It was just briefly noted in Cantwell's Doom series that she didn't carry the child to term. It's too bad that she's become one of those M.I.A characters that will probably be never seen again. The one thing that annoyed me was that Bendis for some reason had this fascination for the Hood and I became a bit annoyed with his presence in the book. Eventually we did get the return of Mephisto and it was one of his better schemes to bedevil Doom for thwarting him in Triumph and Torment and the Hood sort of fades away but shows up again Bendis's Iron Man.

I did like that Bendis brings in Doctor Strange at this point and he becomes an ally in the finale. They both have a healthy fear of Mephisto even if Bendis has a very quirky version of him that narrates the final battle. Earlier in the series Bendis had added the mysterious return of Doom's mother who we all know had died years ago. It shows Mephisto's desire to really twist the dagger to gain a bit of revenge on the mortal that once dared to defy him in his own realm and free a soul from his grasp. And artist Alex Maleev does a wonderful version of her.

The Thing plays his nemesis in the series too and he is even spooked by his mother's appearance at one point. What I found annoying is that no one ever follows up on this. Doom's Infamous Iron Man phase crosses over into the Marvel Two in One series for a while. This is a continuation of this strange period where for some reason Reed, Sue and the kids weren't allowed to appear in comics but Ben and Johnny were in their own series . None of this is ever mentioned when the Fantastic Four is restarted. Ben had to be rescued by Doom to stop the attack of the entity that was his mother. And even the nature of this being is so mysterious as she seems to have all the appearance of being genuine which makes her effect on Doom all the more clever of Mephisto. It's too bad the there are some reports out there that Marvel will not be using Mephisto in the MCU. IMO it was always a slim chance that they would even use Triumph and Torment as a plot in their scheme of things but if this is true than it's very unlikely we will ever see a Marvel film that features this. Perhaps in their animated stuff? I wish they could do Infamous Iron Man too.
    I was laughing so hard when I saw the Hood because I recognized him from his New Avengers run. Bendis sure loves his created characters.

I was also surprised that Bendis was the only one to pickup on the threads of Secret Wars.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Found this on my FB newsfeed:

https://www.facebook.com/highqmag/po...C3dxZoAs2uyfXl

An announcement for the trilogy could arrive after all multiverse shenanigans of Phase 4 are completed

Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

We certainly do see a lot rumors flying around since Kevin Feige keeps things close to the vest. One rumor I saw was that interested me was the return of the Russo brothers to direct this next Marvel phase that may included an adaptation of Hickman's Secret War. With the Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness and before that Spider-Man: No Way Home movie fans who aren't familiar with the comics were introduced to the Multiverse in a large way. Reed's appearance certainly opens the door for a lot more characters to be introduced like the rest of the FF and of course Doom himself. I always felt that Annihilus could be quite a frightening character to bring into the MCU

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I was laughing so hard when I saw the Hood because I recognized him from his New Avengers run. Bendis sure loves his created characters.

I was also surprised that Bendis was the only one to pickup on the threads of Secret Wars.
    And I really think did a great job on the follow up with Doom. But I shouldn't have been surprised. His Doom arc in Mighty Avengers was also better than I expected. It was a bit comical in parts especially Doom's girl friend problems with Morgan Le Fey.