Page 35 of 82 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast
    see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    IMO when Slott began his Fantastic Four, it didn't take long for him to revert Doom to what IMO was a regression to the Doom of a decades ago. You could go back to Hickman's run where he practically makes Doom the black sheep of the family. Valeria considered him her uncle and he genuinely has/had some affection for her. Slott shows none of this. He just goes back to Doom creating death traps for the FF as if this were the 1960s. But there should always be one caveat with Doom.....he will never be pals with Reed.

double boo!

aww man, I loved Doom being the ornery uncle. to me that was one of the funnest periods of FF

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    double boo!

aww man, I loved Doom being the ornery uncle. to me that was one of the funnest periods of FF
    Yeah, I loved that part too. I don't think they've had any interaction at all in Slott's run. I hope someone like Chip Zdarsky takes on the FF when Slott leaves, which can't be too soon for me.

I always willl see today's Valeria as having the soul of Chris Claremont's Valeria Von Doom from his Fantastic Four run.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 06-07-2022 at 12:52 AM.

Love this variant cover by Arthur Adams for next week's Fantastic Four #33

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Love this variant cover by Arthur Adams for next week's Fantastic Four #33

I love it as well.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Quote Originally Posted by InfamousBG View Post
    I love it as well.
    Art Adams does "old school" Doom so well. It's more Kirbyesque than his current modernized one that doesn't have as many of those rivets

Quote Originally Posted by InfamousBG View Post
    I love it as well.
    Me too! Art Adams always excels (IMHO):

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

https://twitter.com/rdauterman/statu...57199715905536

X-MEN HELLFIRE GALA 2022 ��❌ FANTASTIC FOUR #45 variant cover, drawn by me and colored by @COLORnMATT — ft. my design for Doctor Doom!

Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Thanks Ravin' Ray. I hope I can snag this one!

Default Doom relations and Ancestry - part 1

Now to resume the commemoration of the Sixty Years of Doctor Doom. ( I should try and whip up a logo for that )

Family Tree and Ancestry....

Unfortunately Marvel has never really come out with a family tree for Victor von Doom like they have for the family relationships involving the Reed Richards and his alleged retationship to Kang. It is worth noting that early on Stan Lee and Jack Kirby gave us a brief origin that also included mention of his parents. I don't think that was common practice especially when one considers it took about 30 issues for us to find out about Johnny and Sue's parents Franklin and Mary Storm. We really knew very little about Ben's family and it would take until John Bryne's run in Fantastic Four #272 before he get introduced to Nathaniel Richards as Reed's father.

Fantastic Four Annual #2 present want could be called the All Doom Annual since it features both his origin and a battle with the Fantastic Four. The first story of the annual gives us a more detailed origin of Doom that what was presented in Fantastic Four #5. We find out that he is from a country called Latveria and is of Romani heritage. From this story we are given his father's name but there is no mention his mother's name. Perhaps there is an unspoken tradition in the tribe to not mention her by name considering how painful it would be for Victor's father.

Years later in Astonishing Tales #8, writer Gerry Conway gives the reader her name in the final page of the story "Though Some Call it Magic"....and it stuck. I think it is unfortunate that there are far more stories that are centered on his mother than his father. Why is his name more Germanic than reflective of his being a Roma? Did Werner marry "below his station" and was perhaps disenherited by his family? The surname prefix of "von" was used by German nobility going back to the Middle Ages but that is no longer a strict rule today. Many families use it. In any case I doubt we'll ever get more detail than we already have.

As for his mother, it would take longer for us to find out what her name is and it is done in passing at the end of the story "Though Some Call it Magic" by Gerry Conway in Astonishing Tales #8. Artist Gene Colan includes it on the stone that marks her tomb in Castle Doom. I wonder if her name was Colan's idea or Gerry Conway's? Or just something they came up with together? This issue came out in 1970 and the FF annual #2 came out in 1964 so there was a bit of time there before we got any information on his mother.

This story would become the inspiration for Roger Stern and Mike Mignola's graphic novel "Doctor Strange/Doctor Doom: Triumph and Torment" which gives us more background on Doom's parents and their life together.

Tragically, Cynthia is led astray by Mephisto's machinations and she would be killed by a Latverian soldier when instead of killiing the soldiers that brutalized their people, Mephisto's enhanced magic killed all the children in the village.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 06-10-2022 at 07:08 PM.

Default Doom relations and ancestry - part 2

But what of previous generation to his parents? Who were their parents? Unfortunately, there is very little known about the rest of Doom's ancestry. Fortunately we do get a brief clue in the Doom 2099 series when Doom faces a doppleganger of himself in Latveria. I presume that the writer John Francis Moore is showing us Doom's father Werner von Doom as a child. Doom and his opponent are trapped when his time platform begins jumping into different time periods so this is Latveria prior to Doom's birth. Doom then recalls having a grandfather who created marionettes but that's as far as it went.

San Diego, CA and Den of Madness, Castle Doom, Latveria

Default Heroclix Doctor Doom collection

If anyone is interested in collecting the Dr Doom figures from Heroclix, I've made a list of what the different figures are and what year they came out and the collection names. Each release of the Heroclix figures is in a set named for some group or event, the number of figures varies and there are some figures that are the same sculpt but have different bases and number designations. Since this is a game, different bases have different number levels that correspond to the character power set in the game play (I don't play the game, so don't ask but I gather that some of the higher number characters are harder to kill). So you may have in some sets three versions of an Iron Man, but each version is a different character number. Starting around 2008 the figures were sold with matching character cards (some of which are quite fun). Prior to that there were no cards. The list includes some significant Doom-adjacent characters.

HEROCLIX Doctor Doom LIST by year
    o 2003 Clobberin’ Time (No Cards)
    028 Doombot yellow (Rookie) (028 – 030 = same sculpt)
    029 Doombot blue (Experienced)
    030 Doombot red (Veteran)
    073 Dr. Doom yellow (Rookie) (073 – 075 = same sculpt)
    074 Dr. Doom blue (Experienced)
    075 Dr. Doom red (Veteran)
    110 Doctor Doom (same sculpt as 028 – 030)

o 2006 Marvel 2099 Collector’s Set (No Cards)
    007 Doom 2099
    o 2006 Fantastic Forces (No Card)
    095 Dr. Doom (Ultimate Doom)
    o 2006 Supernova Set (No Cards)
    218 Doom (Original Secret War suit)

o 2008 Secret Invasion
    026 Kristoff
    040 Doom (skin armor)
    o 2008 Fantastic Four Storyline
    105 Dr. Doom (same sculpt as 115)
    o 2008 Fantastic Four Starter Pack
    106 Doombot 3095 (same sculpt as 107)
    107 Doombot 5953
    115 Victor Von Doom (same sculpt as 105)

o 2012 Chaos War
    058 Dr. Doom and Kang
    o 2012 Galactic Guardians
    006 Doombot
    019 Dr. Doom (same sculpt as 205)
    046 Dr. Doom (silver surfer board)
    205 Dr. Doom

o 2013 Invincible Iron Man
    042 Iron Doom (Tony Stark in Doom armor)

o 2014 Guardians of the Galaxy
    068 Dr. Doom (Zombie Doom)

o 2020 Fantastic Four
    005 Doombot (same sculpt as 021)
    021 Dr. Doom
    037 Dr. Fantastic (Old Reed in Doom armor)
    060 Doom 2099 Revolutionary
    061 God Emperor Doom
    063 Valeria Von Doom (young)
    064 Franklin Von Doom (young)
    105 Dr. Doom (red burst)
    o 2020 Fantastic Four Cosmic Clash Starter
    005 Dr. Doom (yellow burst)

o 2021 Fantastic Four Future Foundation
    023 Dr. Doom (white tunic)
    041 Kristoff
    060 Victorious
    062 Dr. Doom (with time machine)
    063 Prisoner of Planet Doom (naked Doom)
    064 Lord Doom (actor with a lightsaber ala Darth Vader from Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man comic #8)
    065 Dr. Doom the Sorcerer Supreme
    066 Dr. Thing (Thing in Doom’s armor)
    067 DOOM (four arms)
    068 Valeria Von Doom (older Ms Marvel version)
    069 Doom the Annihilating Conqueror
    o 2021 Fantastic Four Future Foundation Fast Forces
    006 Dr. Doom (blue tunic)

o 2021 Deep Cuts: Fantastic Four
    005 Dr. Doom (primed and unpainted)
    o 2021 Avengers Fantastic Four EMPYRE
    064 Demon in an Armor (Tony Stark in Doom’s armor)

If you are buying on ebay or other online sellers, look closely for a small number preceded by a hashtag, that's the actual character number. And if you don't want to get duplicates check against this list. Also pay attention to the names, as some are just Doom, others Dr Doom or spelled out Doctor Doom or Victor Von Doom. Many of these figures are "chase" figures, meaning that they are of limited availability, ranging from uncommon to rare. These are usually a lot more expensive to buy as singles (just like trading cards, the rare ones are more valuable).

Some examples below:

Doctor Doom #110 from Clobberin' Time:
    Doctor Doom #110 Clobberin Time no card 2003 a.jpg

Dr Doom #019 from Galactic Guardians w/card:
    Dr Doom #019 Galactic Guardians w card 2012.jpg

Dr Doom #005 from Fantastic Four Cosmic Clash 2020
    Dr Doom #005 Fantastic Four Cosmic Clash yellow w card 2020 b.jpg
    "Because ... I am Doom
    ... What Gods dare stand against me?"

Posting from the dungeon of Castle Doom, Latveria

Thanks for the list Doomscribe!

I don't know if you saw the post I had about a variant of an earlier Doom mini-bust from Diamond Select. This time he's in the God Emperor Doom colors. I think I may pass on this one since it's just a repaint. I'm saving up for when the MECA figure comes out next year. Already paid the deposit on that one.

This is the earlier "traditional" version...

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 06-13-2022 at 10:44 PM.

Yeah, I was originally going to pass on the white Doom, but the OCD in me gave in. I put an order in on Amazon and have already made space for it

There are three other Doom statues/toys I'm still waiting on - this first from Sideshow has been delayed multiple times - now expected to release between July and August 2022
    doctor-doom_marvel_gallery_60f9fec7e126a.jpg

And of course the MEZCO - estimated arrival APRIL 2023
    cc07c64e-eaa7-4334-87f6-a05eb316c244.jpg

And also the Monster Hunters Mech Strike Pop Funko version is on order arriving July 2022.
    2022 Doctor Doom 990 MechStrike Funko.jpg

The Walmart exclusive of the Monster Hunter Mech Strike Dr Doom should be out now and/or is expected in July also. So that makes four.

So actually I have to have space for five new figures ... yikes.

*edited to correct dates and add the Walmart toy
    Last edited by DoomScribe; 06-12-2022 at 12:23 PM. Reason: corrections
    "Because ... I am Doom

The last time I checked the Mezco one it's for spring of 2023. Most sites say April. I usually don't have to preorder Funkos since the Game Stop stores in my area usually get the newest ones fairly quickly. I guess this Monster Hunters one is based on a comic this summer so that's something to check out too. Big Bad Toy Store says that one should be out this month so will have to check. I bought a separate display rack just for my Funko Pops but that's because I have a lot of different ones. I have all the Doom ones so far, Wanda, Vision and Agatha from Wandavision, Capt Kirk and Spock from the Mirror, Mirror episode and of course KHAN! I also have all of the Fantastic Four Wave of the Four themselves, Super Skrull, Mole Man, Herbie, Galactus and Silver Surfer. Namor wasn't part of the wave but have him also.

I know you share my hope that one day there will be either a Doom 2099 full figure or bust perhaps by Diamond Select and maybe a Funko Pop too. I think one reason why we aren't seeing any Doom 2099 stuff is even though Marvel has been revisiting that line it usually just focuses on Spider-Man 2099. I would have thought that perhaps the release of the Doom 2099 TPB a few years back might have helped in that regard
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 06-12-2022 at 02:57 PM.

Right! So much potential for a proper Doom 2099 figure or statue. So far, all we have are these two from the Heroclix collection:

Doom 2099 #007 Collectors Set no card 2006.jpg

Doom 2099 Revolutionary #060 Fantastic Four 2020 b.jpg
    "Because ... I am Doom