Page 5 of 82 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

This feels like an alternate Doom that isn't part of the 616 timeline because it seems this Doom never was able to rescue his mother. That would explain some of the subtle changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Doom'nGloom View Post
    Overall I liked Wastelanders but this part greatly annoyed me. I can see colorists giving Doom green or blue eyes as a genuine mistake but this Victor looks like he can be the twin brother of Franklin Richards while Valeria looks like she's the twin sister of Valeria Richards, just a little aged up.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by megatillo View Post
    This feels like an alternate Doom that isn't part of the 616 timeline because it seems this Doom never was able to rescue his mother. That would explain some of the subtle changes.

I tend to think the issue with Valeria being blond-ish...also with Victor as a child, is very likely an uninformed colorist's mistake. The name Bryan Valenza doesn't ring any bells with me so he may not be all that familiar with Marvel lore.

As for Cynthia von Doom being trapped in Mephisto's realm I think you are right. This story derives from the alternate reality Mark Millar created in his Old Man Logan stories. It was given the designation of Earth Earth-807128 according to those who make up these things for the Marvel Handbooks, etc. Doom was in charge of the territory that included most of the Midwestern United States and he was married to that reality's Emma Frost. I think it was revealed in an recent tie in that she has passed away. Also, I think the Avengers of the Wasteland, Doom was dying of cancer? So there are some inconsistencies in this AU.

But it throws you off when the scene with Valeria's birth is exactly how it appeared in the comics that always deal with Earth Prime. We also see Sofia Strange and that is a pretty obscure inclusion. I googled her and she only had one appearance. in a separate line of comics that Marvel changed their mind about and canceled the project. She wasn't apart of the Old Man Logan stories AFAIK.

On the whole, I do think that creative team of writer Torunn Gronberkk and artis Julius Ohta give us a good story here. Gronbekk really does well at finding Victor's voice, both in dialogue and his thoughts.

It's so weird that probably by coincidence that Doom gets possession of the Darkhold both in this story and in Darkhold Omega that also came out this week. In this story he gets to keep it ...

but in Darkhold Omega Wanda snatched it away from him. Easy come, easy go.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 01-07-2022 at 04:15 PM.

San Diego, CA and Den of Madness, Castle Doom, Latveria

Check this out ... well done analysis of Doom's best animated appearance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQTgSEl1PKE

DS
    "Because ... I am Doom
    ... What Gods dare stand against me?"

Posting from the dungeon of Castle Doom, Latveria

I really was disappointed that who ever was/is in charge of Marvel animation decided to axe Earth's Mightiest Heroes. It was one of the better adaptations of the Marvel Universe. That brief scene where Doom takes on all of the Avengers gets a lot of play on YouTube.

I keep wondering if Doom will show up in any of Marvel's animated series being created for Disney Plus. I haven't watched all of them but that would be a good place to have a teaser for the presence of Doom in the MCU.

BTW, Doom had a third appearance this month in the print world. Besides being prominently featured in Darkhold Omega and Wastelands: Doom, he was also in the free 2022 Marvel calendar they were handing out at my LCS. He represents November 2022. I was disappointed that they used a scaled down image of the cover created by Greg Land for the Doom omnibus.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 01-08-2022 at 11:14 PM.

So the removal of memories is kinda like what happened in the NeverEnding Story? Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    So the removal of memories is kinda like what happened in the NeverEnding Story? Interesting.
    I've never watched that movie but if it was an exchange situation than yes. Doom had to give up a memory to enter the temple used by Baron Mordo.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I've never watched that movie but if it was an exchange situation than yes. Doom had to give up a memory to enter the temple used by Baron Mordo.
    Oh, I see. The book version of the NeverEnding Story was based on the idea that wishes causes the loss of memories. Very interesting premise. Magic having a cost is something the comics should dive into in my opinion.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 01-10-2022 at 09:47 AM.

It's not an exact example but in Triumph and Torment the only way Cynthia von Doom's soul was redeemed was when Doom made it appear that he betrayed Doctor Strange to Mephisto. She then declared he was no longer her son. Losing her love was the price he paid for redeeming her soul.

It seems to me there was another clearer example in the MU but I'll have to think some more about that one. I'm thinking Doctor Strange became compromised in New Avengers, just before Secret Wars kicked off.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 01-09-2022 at 01:24 PM.

San Diego, CA and Den of Madness, Castle Doom, Latveria

I've started a store front at Tee Public. Here's the link

http://tee.pub/lic/m5GVwqW93eM

Taking suggestions. I don't know how they do this with copyright material though, so we'll have some fun for as long as it lasts.
    DS
    "Because ... I am Doom
    ... What Gods dare stand against me?"

Posting from the dungeon of Castle Doom, Latveria

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoomScribe View Post

Taking suggestions. I don't know how they do this with copyright material though, so we'll have some fun for as long as it lasts.
    DS
    OMG! These are great! "Trust me, I'm a doctor." LOL! And "No one wants to see your ugly face." oh lord. LOL!
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

First Doom mention by Brian Cronin for 2022!

https://www.cbr.com/supervillain-unm...g-second-mask/
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by DoomScribe View Post

DS
    Wow....I like the one that uses Jim Lee's Doom from Heroes Reborn Fantastic Four.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    First Doom mention by Brian Cronin for 2022!

https://www.cbr.com/supervillain-unm...g-second-mask/
    I always thought that was weird. Doom was really in another man's body so it makes no sense that when the guy's wife removed the Invincible Man hood/mask that a masked Doom would be underneath. Doom's armor was all destroyed in the fight between the Surfer and Terrax. But the mask was survived the explosion and the FF kept it in their trophy room.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    It's not an exact example but in Triumph and Torment the only way Cynthia von Doom's soul was redeemed was when Doom made it appear that he betrayed Doctor Strange to Mephisto. She then declared he was no longer her son. Losing her love was the price he paid for redeeming her soul.

It seems to me there was another clearer example in the MU but I'll have to think some more about that one. I'm thinking Doctor Strange became compromised in New Avengers, just before Secret Wars kicked off.
    Yeah, Triumph and Torment is a good example of the price of magic in the Marvel Universe.

I don't know if it counts as a cost of magic but once every year Doom gets to fight Mephisto for his mothers soul but each time he loses people of Latveria resent him more as revealed at the end of Books of Doom.