Page 6 of 82 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doom'nGloom View Post
    I don't know if it counts as a cost of magic but once every year Doom gets to fight Mephisto for his mothers soul but each time he loses people of Latveria resent him more as revealed at the end of Books of Doom.
    That was all resolved in Triumph and Torment as mentioned above in the conversation with Albert1891. You should read it sometime Brubaker's Books of Doom stops short of that era. * Old spoiler * and we find out at the end that the reporter has been interviewing a Doombot. So one can surmise that Doom didn't grant that Doombot the knowledge of what happened when he confronted Mephisto with Dr. Strange's help.

We had an interesting discussion here in one of the older threads about which Doombot that was that Doom has locked away. This Doombot may have been shut away and never given knowledge of the battle down in Hell. Boris tells the reporter that this Doombot ruled for a while while Doom was "otherwise engaged". Doom keeps it around because it is so much like him he couldn't bring himself to destroy it. I thought it might be the Doombot that was in Walt Simonson's FF #350. This was that strange period of time when Doom was not ruling Latveria and Kristoff had been mindwiped so that he thought he was Doom. The real Doom returns and says he's been gone for a while in Simonsons story and he straightens out the mess between Kristoff and the Doombot. He does destroy it's body but keeps it's head. By speaking the codeword Ouroboros, he restores Kristoff so that he no longer believes he is Doom.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 01-10-2022 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    That was all resolved in Triumph and Torment as mentioned above in the conversation with Albert1891. You should read it sometime Brubaker's Books of Doom stops short of that era. * Old spoiler * and we find out at the end that the reporter has been interviewing a Doombot. So one can surmise that Doom didn't grant that Doombot the knowledge of what happened when he confronted Mephisto with Dr. Strange's help.

We had an interesting discussion here in one of the older threads about which Doombot that was that Doom has locked away. This Doombot may have been shut away and never given knowledge of the battle down in Hell. Boris tells the reporter that this Doombot ruled for a while while Doom was "otherwise engaged". Doom keeps it around because it is so much like him he couldn't bring himself to destroy it. I thought it might be the Doombot that was in Walt Simonson's FF #350. This was that strange period of time when Doom was not ruling Latveria and Kristoff had been mindwiped so that he thought he was Doom. The real Doom returns and says he's been gone for a while in Simonsons story and he straightens out the mess between Kristoff and the Doombot. He does destroy it's body but keeps it's head. By speaking the codeword Ouroboros, he restores Kristoff so that he no longer believes he is Doom.

I read it In fact it was the first Doom story I read with the second being Books of Doom though I guess I need to reread both to refresh my memory. It was also the story where Dr Strange became Sorcerer Supreme if I remember it right. I've always found it weird that the winner in the tournament must grant the wish of the runner up or was it about that crystal? That may count as a cost though it was more of a custom of becoming sorcerer supreme than something innate to magic.

I don't know if it counts as a cost of magic but once every year Doom gets to fight Mephisto for his mothers soul but each time he loses people of Latveria resent him more as revealed at the end of Books of Doom.
    That sounds really interesting! Stories where the use of magic have little or no consequences are boring as hell in my opinion. I appreciate that Marvel makes sure that Strange and Doom have to pay the price for playing with forces beyond their control and understanding.
    Last edited by Albert1981; 01-10-2022 at 03:21 PM.

I read it In fact it was the first Doom story I read with the second being Books of Doom though I guess I need to reread both to refresh my memory. It was also the story where Dr Strange became Sorcerer Supreme if I remember it right. I've always found it weird that the winner in the tournament must grant the wish of the runner up or was it about that crystal? That may count as a cost though it was more of a custom of becoming sorcerer supreme than something innate to magic.
    Oh I see then what you meant. I can't remember where it was mentioned that each time he lost to the demon (remember at that point in Marvel publication Mephisto had yet to be created in Stan's Silver Surfer series) that he would lose a measure of the regard the people of Latveria had for him. Almost anyone would have been better than the regime of King Vladimir. In early stories in the FF have Doom's people give him a wide berth but their respect (FF annual #2) then later on in FF #84-87 they are definitely fearful of him. So perhaps that was the effect of him beginning the annual rite of combat to win the freedom of his mothers soul.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoomScribe View Post
    I've started a store front at Tee Public. Here's the link

http://tee.pub/lic/m5GVwqW93eM

Taking suggestions. I don't know how they do this with copyright material though, so we'll have some fun for as long as it lasts.
    DS
    Any ideas for SVTU, with Doom and Namor? I picked up a tote bag with the infamous TOOT the horn panel on ... I think it was on this site. Oh, and also I got a t-shirt with the cover of Subby 48, I think, on this site.

Man, there are so many great Doom moments ....
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Any ideas for SVTU, with Doom and Namor? I picked up a tote bag with the infamous TOOT the horn panel on ... I think it was on this site. Oh, and also I got a t-shirt with the cover of Subby 48, I think, on this site.

I did get my Santa Doom shirt from there a couple of weeks ago.

San Diego, CA and Den of Madness, Castle Doom, Latveria

I did get my Santa Doom shirt from there a couple of weeks ago.
    Yes, I got the Santa Doom too, that's classic. I was inspired.

I'll look at my SVTU scans to see if there's anything there I could use.
    ds
    "Because ... I am Doom
    ... What Gods dare stand against me?"

Posting from the dungeon of Castle Doom, Latveria

I think this John Byrne cover would be a good one, from SVTU #14

Or Joe Jusko's cover from Marvel Double Shots #2

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 01-12-2022 at 10:17 PM.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/922/DCmBAY.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/923/s8izft.jpg
    Excellent choices! If it's alright, I'd also add Mike Mignola to that list

Last edited by K7P5V; 01-12-2022 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I know, right?! The selections are endless that you simply can't go wrong with any of them (LOL):

I love that 2 page spread that Steranko did at the end of that SHIELD arc with the Yellow Claw....and so unexpected too!

So excited btw that I picked out the SVTU # 14 cover to be my Doom Omnibus cover...i have that pre-ordered for April right around my birthday time too

I'm on the fence about the Omnibus since there isn't anything it it I don't already have in TPB format. Plus my bookshelves are full! I know you will be happy to get yours though! It's funny how for many years there was only the one or two printings of the GN Triumph and Torment in the 1980s (There are different editions with different covers IIRC). Now it's being reprinted all over the place.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 01-13-2022 at 10:26 PM.

I love that 2 page spread that Steranko did at the end of that SHIELD arc with the Yellow Claw....and so unexpected too!
    Indeed. Truly classic. Here's the cover of the comic book where that image came from...

I remember that well. One of the comics my dad bought for us when we were kids. My brother still has those Strange Tales issues in long boxes at his house.