Page 32 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    This video is so cringe.

(They also REALLY play up Gwen x Miles.)
    I hate the narration. Sounds like she is from California.

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    Fairly streamlined and hit pretty much all of her big story beats. I take it this is sort of the blueprint on Gwen-65 history that marvel writers using the character will follow?

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I hate the narration. Sounds like she is from California.
    I'm from and currently live in California.

The video is cringe.

(There can't be two women who use "Spider-Woman." Meanwhile Peter and Miles both go by Spider-Man.)

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

I'm from and currently live in California.

The video is cringe.

(There can't be two women who use "Spider-Woman." Meanwhile Peter and Miles both go by Spider-Man.)
    I guess Jessica's more territorial about the name Spider-Woman than Peter is with the name Spider-Man.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I guess Jessica's more territorial about the name Spider-Woman than Peter is with the name Spider-Man.
    Julia Carpenter and Mattie Franklin both used the Spider-Woman moniker. (Charlotte Witter also used the Spider-Woman moniker, but she's a supervillain, and Jess does have a problem with her.)

Julia Carpenter and Mattie Franklin both used the Spider-Woman moniker. (Charlotte Witter also used the Spider-Woman moniker, but she's a supervillain, and Jess does have a problem with her.)
    True. From my recollection, Jessica was mostly out of commission, powers-wise, during Julia's time as Spider-Woman, and as soon as Jessica's powers became more reliable (technically, that was actually Veranke; f*** you very much, Secret Invasion), Julia took up the name Arachne (like she'd intended before her government handlers saddled her with Spider-Woman). As for Mattie, Jessica and Julia did mentor her, while Charlotte stole Jessica's and Julia's powers so she could be the only Spider-Woman, only to end up in a coma when Mattie flipped the script on her, so to speak, and ended up retaining all the Spider-Women's (plus Madame Web's) powers. Then Mattie's series ended, and she ended up in some pretty dire straits, if going by her arc in Alias, which still affected her pretty badly, as per The Loners around the post-Civil War/Initiative era.

BANNED

Gwen is now a symbol for interracial couple empowerment, isnt she?

I never really understood why Ghost Spider existed unless it was just for branding, but it's not like they were pushing any other Spider-Woman.

(I still feel denied a Gwen mugshot).

There were 3 or 4 Spider-men running around at one point. Miles, Otto, Peter and then again with Miles, Ben, and Peter *though peter was mostly bed ridden for the beyond era* Miguel is also still running around I think?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I never really understood why Ghost Spider existed unless it was just for branding, but it's not like they were pushing any other Spider-Woman.

Perhaps the reasoning is the opposite. "Spider-woman" is a recognizable name, but in the solo title space the name hasn't had great success? Moving Gwen from it may be trying to spare her from some perceived stigma?

Quote Originally Posted by Dron View Post
    There were 3 or 4 Spider-men running around at one point. Miles, Otto, Peter and then again with Miles, Ben, and Peter *though peter was mostly bed ridden for the beyond era* Miguel is also still running around I think?
    In 2099, but yeah.
    Perhaps the reasoning is the opposite. "Spider-woman" is a recognizable name, but in the solo title space the name hasn't had great success? Moving Gwen from it may be trying to spare her from some perceived stigma?
    Well, they've given Jessica a few solos so I don't think it's seen as that much of a failure, brand-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodj View Post
    Gwen is now a symbol for interracial couple empowerment, isnt she?
    There were readings that Gwen was seen as representation for asexual characters. But Marvel clearly does not think she does when they release a video that really plays up her and Miles.

As for representing interracial couple empowerment... Maybe. It depends on what happens in the Spider-Verse movies and if Gwen is brought into Insomniac's games to play off of Miles. That will, in turn, feed into how they are played in the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

They needed her to have an actual name other than Spider-Gwen, which could never actually be her codename due to it giving away her secret identity (which was outed on Earth-65, but is still secret on 616). The Ghost-Spider name probably needed a trademark renewal, it had been used years ago for a Spider-Man and Ghost Rider amalgam. It also prevents a situation like Billy Batson, who everyone thought was called Shazam instead of Captain Marvel long before DC made it official because his comics and merchandise were always called that (thanks to Marvel's Cap having the trademark, of course).

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    True. From my recollection, Jessica was mostly out of commission, powers-wise, during Julia's time as Spider-Woman, and as soon as Jessica's powers became more reliable (technically, that was actually Veranke; f*** you very much, Secret Invasion), Julia took up the name Arachne (like she'd intended before her government handlers saddled her with Spider-Woman). As for Mattie, Jessica and Julia did mentor her, while Charlotte stole Jessica's and Julia's powers so she could be the only Spider-Woman, only to end up in a coma when Mattie flipped the script on her, so to speak, and ended up retaining all the Spider-Women's (plus Madame Web's) powers. Then Mattie's series ended, and she ended up in some pretty dire straits, if going by her arc in Alias, which still affected her pretty badly, as per The Loners around the post-Civil War/Initiative era.
    And then Mattie was killed off. Which I assume was shortly before Veranke showed up (i.e. they got rid of Mattie to bring back "Jessica").
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    They needed her to have an actual name other than Spider-Gwen, which could never actually be her codename due to it giving away her secret identity (which was outed on Earth-65, but is still secret on 616). The Ghost-Spider name probably needed a trademark renewal, it had been used years ago for a Spider-Man and Ghost Rider amalgam. It also prevents a situation like Billy Batson, who everyone thought was called Shazam instead of Captain Marvel long before DC made it official because his comics and merchandise were always called that (thanks to Marvel's Cap having the trademark, of course).

And then Mattie was killed off. Which I assume was shortly before Veranke showed up (i.e. they got rid of Mattie to bring back "Jessica").
    No, Mattie was killed off in Grim Hunt, which was in 2010, about a year or two after the real Jessica Drew came back at the end of Secret Invasion, and Dark Reign kicked off thanks to Norman Osborn getting the lucky kill-shot on Veranke.

Felipe Massafera Edge of Spider-Verse #1

https://twitter.com/TheComicAwakens/...26508757565441

BANNED

I'm presuming the mentions of Carnage and MJ means we'll get possible appearances from Spinnerett and Spider-Carnage

Felicia is a given because a version of her with Spider powers has been promoted heavily already.