Page 13 of 43 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Again, I'm not questioning that a mark exists, only that it's not the deepest cut imho.

I honestly have not followed every Luke Cage story in recent history. Has he become a visible beacon and staunch advocate of the wrongly imprisoned or any of the countless other issues with the American justice system? Is he still on the front lines in that fight, or has that narrative been tucked away as incidental? Has he truly turned his experience into a net positive that aids others in the same situation? Or is he just one of those "Oh, by the way, I was wronged by the system, too," stories that writers fall back on whenever they want to checkbox his shared grievance credentials with the Black community?
    Hmmm this is a very interesting discussion between you two. Keep it up. I'm loving it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Again, I'm not questioning that a mark exists, only that it's not the deepest cut imho.

I honestly have not followed every Luke Cage story in recent history. Has he become a visible beacon and staunch advocate of the wrongly imprisoned or any of the countless other issues with the American justice system? Is he still on the front lines in that fight, or has that narrative been tucked away as incidental? Has he truly turned his experience into a net positive that aids others in the same situation? Or is he just one of those "Oh, by the way, I was wronged by the system, too," stories that writers fall back on whenever they want to checkbox his shared grievance credentials with the Black community?
    No, Marvel has essentially dropped everything interesting about Luke's earliest appearances-- Most notably the Count of Monte Cristo thing he had going (linked to his fiance and his imprisonment),but also the pseudo-celebrity thing he had going as the Hero for Hire. I don't think a lot of people get that his earliest costume was based on being a sort of escape artist like Houdini, or that he's supposed to be a theatrical over-the-top personality, which is why his first base of operations was a literal theater.

Marvel dropping the ball on those elements is one of the reasons the character isn't as interesting now as when he first started. In trying to get rid of the Blaxploitation elements of the character, Marvel over course corrected, and now Luke is a community organizer/business man/politician/father/leader, none of which is as interesting as who he was before. He really is that suit and tie now. He seems more like a supporting character or a team character in the Marvel Universe now than a superhero leading man.

If you haven't read Archie Goodwin's initial issues with Luke, I'd recommend checking them out. Pretty much the character's peak IMO. Some of his earliest Defenders appearances are good too. His appearances in Alias and Secret War are more brief, but it's the best I think Bendis handled his character. Fraction handled him okay too in Iron Fist. Besides turning Luke into a team leader, his Avengers stories never did anything for me, nor did his subsequent titles.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    No, Marvel has essentially dropped everything interesting about Luke's earliest appearances-- Most notably the Count of Monte Cristo thing he had going (linked to his fiance and his imprisonment),but also the pseudo-celebrity thing he had going as the Hero for Hire. I don't think a lot of people get that his earliest costume was based on being a sort of escape artist like Houdini, or that he's supposed to be a theatrical over-the-top personality, which is why his first base of operations was a literal theater.

Marvel dropping the ball on those elements is one of the reasons the character isn't as interesting now as when he first started. In trying to get rid of the Blaxploitation elements of the character, Marvel over course corrected, and now Luke is a community organizer/business man/politician/father/leader, none of which is as interesting as who he was before. He really is that suit and tie now. He seems more like a supporting character or a team character in the Marvel Universe now than a superhero leading man.

If you haven't read Archie Goodwin's initial issues with Luke, I'd recommend checking them out. Pretty much the character's peak IMO. Some of his earliest Defenders appearances are good too. His appearances in Alias and Secret War are more brief, but it's the best I think Bendis handled his character. Fraction handled him okay too in Iron Fist. Besides turning Luke into a team leader, his Avengers stories never did anything for me, nor did his subsequent titles.
    OMG! SALUTE TO YOU SIR! You perfectly summed a lot of my issues with modern Cage. I think the issue is msby people haven't read Archie Goodwin's and Steve Englehart's run on Cage. They just look at the panel where said 'where's my money, honey" and disniss the whole series as lame where I actuality he was anything but lame. I actually can't stand how every time Marvel uses him now he's gotta be on a team. His 70's series was unique. Now he's just this dude in a business suit with a boring family.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeCagefan View Post
    OMG! SALUTE TO YOU SIR! You perfectly summed a lot of my issues with modern Cage. I think the issue is many people haven't read Archie Goodwin's and Steve Englehart's run on Cage. They just look at the panel where said 'where's my money, honey" and disniss the whole series as lame where I actuality he was anything but lame. I actually can't stand how every time Marvel uses him now he's gotta be on a team. His 70's series was unique. Now he's just this dude in a business suit with a boring family.
    ^^^While I’m not as against Luke Cage family man/community leader/politician/Avenger etc., I do agree w. you guys that early Cage was pretty damn awesome.

An amalgam of old and current character traits could easily work. Look forward don’t forget the past and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ^^^While I’m not as against Luke Cage family man/community leader/politician/Avenger etc., I do agree w. you guys that early Cage was pretty damn awesome.

An amalgam of old and current character traits could easily work. Look forward don’t forget the past and all that.
    I dig it. I really don't like the bald regular clothes look. I can dig this photo on the left tho

I dig it. I really don't like the bald regular clothes look. I can dig this photo on the left tho
    ^^^That pic on the left is really eye catching yeah!

^^^That pic on the left is really eye catching yeah!
    Yeah, it still pays homage to the past and has a modern flavor to it. I'd like him to start using the chain as a weapon tho.

…I'd like him to start using the chain as a weapon tho.
    ^^^While I’d like for him to use his headband as a throwing weapon (even if it’s just once) and hang a lampshade on it, saying he remembers seeing Lynda Carter do it on an old TV show when he as a kid!

^^^While I’d like for him to use his headband as a throwing weapon (even if it’s just once) and hang a lampshade on it, saying he remembers seeing Lynda Carter do it on an old TV show when he as a kid!
    That would be freaking hilarious lol. I could totally see him saying that back in the day. Unfortunately, most writers have steered clear of 70's Cage's humor lol. They seem more interested in mocking his past than embracing what worked and bettering it.

Always loved this updated look for Power Man.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post

Always loved this updated look for Power Man.

Peace
    I like it but I can't lie when I say I miss the yellow lol

BANNED

I agree with everyone else that this is cool, particularly the one on the left.

If I got the chance, I think I'd break Luke's identity into three parts, kind of how like there's this Batman vs Bruce Wayne, who's the real guy debate.

Power Man Luke would be the Hero for Hire. He'd have the superhero costume, which would combine elements on his classic look, his Spider-man cartoon look, his Secret War look, the fanart above, and the Victor Alvarez look. He'd be able to use his chain belt as a weapon. He'd probably have a jacket on his costume to give it a more street look. I'd amp up the hero for hire element, and I'd have him get paid to do everything from fighting giant robots to exploring the savage land to Evek Knievel stunts to paid commercials. He'd have his own shoe line (like Jordans) and drive an exotic car as his superhero transportation. He'd work out of the Gem Theater. But this version of Luke would be a false face Luke wears to make money and engender public support. He'd lead an Avengers team. This version of Luke would be the one that most naturally fits into the world of classic, over the top superheroics.

Suit and Tie Luke would be the business man behind the Hero for Hire. He'd make deals and use a large part of his proceeds to help out his community. He'd hand turkeys out on Thanksgiving. He'd be an advocate for community causes and justice reform. He'd do celebrity commentary on the news or ESPN. The president would want to take a picture with him. This would also be a false face, as it's Luke trying to act like the man he wants to be. This version of Luke would fit into the civilian world of Marvel best.

Finally, Street Luke would be Luke unfiltered. This is who he is at home and with his friends. He doesn't wear a costume. He takes down criminals in secret, so as not to make enemies or get sued. He'd be the man with the vendetta. He'd be burdened by elements of his past, like his family, his ex-fiance, his betrayals, his false imprisonment, etc. This version of Luke would be the one at home in the world of Daredevil and the Punisher.

Just three sides of the same man, with each side creating some conflict against another side.

I know it'd be a big break from stuff done before, but I think it could work and generate fresh content for the guy. If it doesn't take off, just get rid of the side or sides that are disliked.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 06-28-2022 at 07:07 PM.

BANNED

BANNED

I agree with everyone else that this is cool, particularly the one on the left.

If I got the chance, I think I'd break Luke's identity into three parts, kind of how like there's this Batman vs Bruce Wayne, who's the real guy debate.

Power Man Luke would be the Hero for Hire. He'd have the superhero costume, which would combine elements on his classic look, his Spider-man cartoon look, his Secret War look, the fanart above, and the Victor Alvarez look. He'd be able to use his chain belt as a weapon. He'd probably have a jacket on his costume to give it a more street look. I'd amp up the hero for hire element, and I'd have him get paid to do everything from fighting giant robots to exploring the savage land to Evek Knievel stunts to paid commercials. He'd have his own shoe line (like Jordans) and drive an exotic car as his superhero transportation. He'd work out of the Gem Theater. But this version of Luke would be a false face Luke wears to make money and engender public support. He'd lead an Avengers team. This version of Luke would be the one that most naturally fits into the world of classic, over the top superheroics.

Suit and Tie Luke would be the business man behind the Hero for Hire. He'd make deals and use a large part of his proceeds to help out his community. He'd hand turkeys out on Thanksgiving. He'd be an advocate for community causes and justice reform. He'd do celebrity commentary on the news or ESPN. The president would want to take a picture with him. This would also be a false face, as it's Luke trying to act like the man he wants to be. This version of Luke would fit into the civilian world of Marvel best.

Finally, Street Luke would be Luke unfiltered. This is who he is at home and with his friends. He doesn't wear a costume. He takes down criminals in secret, so as not to make enemies or get sued. He'd be the man with the vendetta. He'd be burdened by elements of his past, like his family, his ex-fiance, his betrayals, his false imprisonment, etc. This version of Luke would be the one at home in the world of Daredevil and the Punisher.

Just three sides of the same man, with each side creating some conflict against another side.

I know it'd be a big break from stuff done before, but I think it could work and generate fresh content for the guy. If it doesn't take off, just get rid of the side or sides that are disliked.
    Honestly, as a huge Luke Cage fan I'm completely sold on this. I love it !! I think it's gives him great depth while staying true to who he is and it gives us excited layers to explore, cool adventures, an interesting job, and an inspiring hero. This is just sick. I have no idea why Marvel just wants to make him another SJW righteous hero with no flaws. The only thing I'm not sure I like is him leading an Avenger team since Avengers are so over exposed. I'd like him leading a team on the side just not the Avengers. Daredevil and Punisher are the pillars of the street level world in the Marvel universe and they also happen to be two of my favorites lol. Luke needs to stop up and be the third to complete the Trinity. He needs a Frank Miller and a Garth Ennis. I love your ideas man.