Page 15 of 43 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Luke and the F4:

Luke and the Defenders:

BANNED

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Okay, let's clear up some confusion here.

This is the part of your comment I was referring to.

And I was saying that Luke isn't being written that way.
    Oh, I gotcha! Let me explain what I mean!

First and foremost he has no flaws. He is a perfect father, he's a perfect husband and he's an idol in his community. Actually, according to Defenders 1 2018 he's the most popular hero in all of New York, not just Harlem, all of New York. The people love him so much they were begging him to run for Mayor from back then. In the David Walker series he's very mild mannered in how he deals with criminals. He's literally being gentle with them while he's tossing them around and was even trying to plead his case to a corrupted police officer while they were kicking the crap out of him. Y'know, black people in comics and law enforcement beef is becoming tiring. So he has no edge, no flaws, basic abilities and a boring look. I don't see how anyone would want to spend 4 bucks on a series with a lead like that in a market that offers so many other alternatives.

Back in the day he had flaws. He was cocky, had trust issues because of Willis' betrayal, found it hard to confess love to Claire Temple because of his complicated past and his unresolved trust issues. He struggled to pay rent, had to deal with constant attacks on the Gem Theater because of his profile as a hero, dealt with being overlooked in favor of other heroes hence the name change to Power Man. He was short tempered and would knock someone out and then ask questions if they crossed him wrong. He was actually known to be pretty smart, clever and had good investigation skills. His fight scenes were fun too because his weight often became a liability so he had to be careful. He had to calculate how far he could jump and whether whatever he landed on could support him. Sometimes he ate asphalt, sometimes he was successful. It was interesting though. We see none of these things anymore. He married a woman he barely knew(not counting the one issue retcon in the Pulse) and has slowly become this middle aged Mr. Rogers lol. I'm exaggerating but you get me lol.

The SJW to me is already creeping in. He basically spoke about hating police in Devil Reign Omega despite having a pretty friendly relationship with police even after his wrongful incarceration. His father was a cop, one of his closest friends, Misty Knight, was a cop, Raphael Scarfe as well- and in the first 25 issues of his series he's seen asking the police to call him anytime and doesn't show a lot of disdain for them other than fear of them finding out he's an escape convict. I feel like they're going to turn him into Mayor Eric Adams and that's not a great direction for him. I am open to be proven wrong, but he'll be doing a lot of Mayor stuff as a support character in Thunderbolts so I don't expect much development.
    Last edited by LukeCagefan; 06-29-2022 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Luke and the F4:

Luke and the Defenders:

I love these panels!

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    For the unfamiliar, here's the Trouble Man trailer:

LOL

Anyway, Luke vs Tony:

That was one of my favorite issues. The climax to that issue was freaking wild. To me al these panels you're showing me again just reemphasize why him given up the Hero for Hire gig hurt his character. All these awesome events happened because his job opened up the door for it.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by LukeCagefan View Post
    Oh, I gotcha! Let me explain what I mean!

The SJW to me is already creeping in. He basically spoke about hating police in Devil Reign Omega despite having a pretty friendly relationship with police even after his wrongful incarceration. His father was a cop, one of his closest friends, Misty Knight, was a cop, Raphael Scarfe as well- and in the first 25 issues of his series he's seen asking the police to call him anytime and doesn't show a lot of disdain for them other than fear of them finding out he's an escape convict. I feel like they're going to turn him into Mayor Eric Adams and that's not a great direction for him. I am open to be proven wrong, but he'll be doing a lot of Mayor stuff as a support character in Thunderbolts so I don't expect much development.
    A good writer could explain that.

I view it as while he had friends who are cops-he is also seeing and hearing (probably from those friends) the dark side of being a cop. Maybe he was talking about that versus a hatered of all cops (which like you said makes no sense with his Dad, Misty and so on-unless that is for SHOW).

I have a feeling that is for show.

In other words you want the old Luke Cage-that for all intent purposes is way more realistic than the current one.

Pretty much you described Savage Dragon (minus a TON of stuff). He (and now his son) are super heroes but still at the end of day go home to normal life. Something we are missing with ALOT of heroes at the Big Two with non-teen heroes.

Like Synch-when is he going back home to see his parents and little sister? Same with Prodigy. Both unlike most mutant teens have good relationships with their families.

Or Heroes in Crisis-those folks Wally West killed had families like Tattoo man. Wouldn't his wife and kids come looking for Wally?

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    A good writer could explain that.

I view it as while he had friends who are cops-he is also seeing and hearing (probably from those friends) the dark side of being a cop. Maybe he was talking about that versus a hatered of all cops (which like you said makes no sense with his Dad, Misty and so on-unless that is for SHOW).

I have a feeling that is for show.

In other words you want the old Luke Cage-that for all intent purposes is way more realistic than the current one.

Pretty much you described Savage Dragon (minus a TON of stuff). He (and now his son) are super heroes but still at the end of day go home to normal life. Something we are missing with ALOT of heroes at the Big Two with non-teen heroes.

Like Synch-when is he going back home to see his parents and little sister? Same with Prodigy. Both unlike most mutant teens have good relationships with their families.

Or Heroes in Crisis-those folks Wally West killed had families like Tattoo man. Wouldn't his wife and kids come looking for Wally?
    Shout out for the Savage Dragon mention. I got love for some Image & Top Cow cats lol. Though I don't the Mayor route is a good route for his character, I can concede that it could be an interesting short-term status in the right hands. The problem is I can't think of any writer that I'd trust to write a compelling story that's not just black & white. Any ideas?

Yeah, I'd like the old school Cage to return haha. I felt the writers back then cared more and tried harder. The book was so was fun and there just wasn't anything like it in the Marvel universe. I still think a lot of what worked back then can work now if a writer cared enough about Luke to do their homework and think of something fresh to the table.
    Last edited by LukeCagefan; 06-30-2022 at 03:01 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    That's a pretty dope image.

Ultimate Member

Shout out for the Savage Dragon mention. I got love for some Image & Top Cow cats lol. Though I don't the Mayor route is a good route for his character, I can concede that it could be an interesting short-term status in the right hands. The problem is I can't think of any writer that I'd trust to write a compelling story that's not just black & white. Any ideas?

Yeah, I'd like the old school Cage to return haha. I felt the writers back then cared more and tried harder. The book was so was fun and there just wasn't anything like it in the Marvel universe. I still think a lot of what worked back then can work now if a writer cared enough about Luke to do their homework and think of something fresh to the table.
    I think the writer is there but it still falls on EDITORS on what they want.

Too many times we have seen writers fail or struggle at the Big Two due to editors and then go elsewhere.

Priest is enjoying his freedom on Vampirella and nobody complained when the number of black folks grew in her books.

Cullen Bunn has done well at Boom Studios.

Kyle Higgins has done wonders for the Power Rangers. Ordinary Gods has been good too.

Eve Ewing could do it.

I just don't trust Marvel editors especially when we look at Black Panther. You couldn't do that to Batman let alone Superman or Wonder Woman and still expect to collect a check every month.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I think the writer is there but it still falls on EDITORS on what they want.

Too many times we have seen writers fail or struggle at the Big Two due to editors and then go elsewhere.

Priest is enjoying his freedom on Vampirella and nobody complained when the number of black folks grew in her books.

Cullen Bunn has done well at Boom Studios.

Kyle Higgins has done wonders for the Power Rangers. Ordinary Gods has been good too.

Eve Ewing could do it.

I just don't trust Marvel editors especially when we look at Black Panther. You couldn't do that to Batman let alone Superman or Wonder Woman and still expect to collect a check every month.
    I am inclined to believe this. I dropped Power Rangers after Higgins left. I stuck with Go Go Power Rangers for awhile but the OC character the writer kept pushing turned me away. As a matter a fact I have now met four of the Power Rangers actors in less than a year.

I was shocked when I saw Vampirella make out with a black dude. Wish it was Luke Cage lol. Wolverine got to hook up with Sara Pezzini soooooo lmao. But yes, Priest has but fun on Vampirella from what I've seen.
    What Marvel is doing with Black Panther is criminal. I'm glad I don't like him as much as Luke or it'd hurt terribly lol.

That's a pretty dope image.
    ^^^I thought so too!
    I started thinking how DKR would translate using old man Cage and Danny. I pictured Batman’s final fight w. The Joker as Cage and The Purple Man and Jessica in the Selina role from that story.

And then I went and looked up some old Powerman & Iron Fist covers by Miller for the heck of it…:

Miller was phoning in the backgrounds but he put some effort into the characters at least!

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ^^^I thought so too!
    I started thinking how DKR would translate using old man Cage and Danny. I pictured Batman’s final fight w. The Joker as Cage and The Purple Man and Jessica in the Selina role from that story.

And then I went and looked up some old Powerman & Iron Fist covers by Miller for the heck of it…:

Miller was phoning in the backgrounds but he put some effort into the characters at least!
    Dudeeeee that's freaking sick! Like Luke would say: I can dig it!!!