Page 24 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LukeCagefan View Post
    You know what's funny is that Luke Cage is basically an MMA fighter and Marvel never really shines any light on this subject. I was talking to a friend and I was telling Luke Cage should know Muay Thai, Wrestling and Judo. In issue 1 it tells us Willis Stryker was the drug dealing and Luke was the fighter and the muscle. He was a legit street fighter. Not to mention that hanging around Danny Rand should've increased his fighting ability. I really like the gadget ides. Besides goggles what else would he use? I dig the goggles.
    Yeah, iirc, Luke was the muscle in their racketeering operation. Obviously he shouldn't fight like Danny, but he should know how to throw a punch.

Re: gadgets, nothing too flashy that would take away from him being a tank. Probably a chain he can use as a weapon, a communication system he can use to talk to DW or some mission controller, a re-breather, zip ties, and bulletproof cars that still happen to break. I imagine he has enough cash to have a private helicopter pilot to drop him off in different parts of the city, since traffic is so bad. I could see the company helicopter being used to record his fights like the news did in an old Superboy issue.

He probably hires private pilots to drop him off in locations abroad--great excuse to use Wyatt Wingfoot again. Of course, these would all be property or expenses of his LLC, so if he were on a personal vendetta that wasn't strictly legal, he wouldn't use any of this stuff, just his fists and a black or yellow t-shirt.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 08-08-2022 at 05:19 AM.

BANNED

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Yeah, iirc, Luke was the muscle in their racketeering operation. Obviously he shouldn't fight like Danny, but he should know how to throw a punch.

Re: gadgets, nothing too flashy that would take away from him being a tank. Probably a chain he can use as a weapon, a communication system he can use to talk to DW or some mission controller, a re-breather, zip ties, and bulletproof cars that still happen to break. I imagine he has enough cash to have a private helicopter pilot to drop him off in different parts of the city, since traffic is so bad. I could see the company helicopter being used to record his fights like the news did in an old Superboy issue.

He probably hires private pilots to drop him off in locations abroad--great excuse to use Wyatt Wingfoot again. Of course, these would all be property or expenses of his LLC, so if he were on a personal vendetta that wasn't strictly legal, he wouldn't use any of this stuff, just his fists and a black or yellow t-shirt.
    First of all, I'm a big fan of 90's Superboy and I feel like Geoff Johns stripped away a lot of what made me love the character. After the revelation of him being 90% of Lex Luthor's DNA he became moody and it just didn't feel like the character I loved reading about in Hawaii with Tana Moon. In some ways Superboy has the same issue Luke has. Hey stripped him from his badass leather jacket and spandex that he wore in his debut and Young Justice and just threw him in a tshirt and jeans. Got rid of the heat ray goggles that helped further distinguish him from Clark. I'd love to see Conner on Hero for Hire tho lol.

In David Walker's Power Man and Iron Fist run they had a replica of the Fantastic Car that they slapped the Iron Fist and Power Man symbol on and used that. But I do like the idea of Luke having a helicopter for transportation and a sick bulletproof ride. Maybe a ride like Dominic Torreto? A 1970 Dodge Charger!That'd be sick.

Two questions though. What do you think Luke's Networth is? And did you read the 4 part series by Genndy Tartakovsky? What did you think of so?
    Last edited by LukeCagefan; 08-08-2022 at 08:56 AM.

Luke is a straight up badass. He punk'd a dude for his name and told him if he used it again he tattoo on him. I remember the issue he beat up Ben Donavon so bad he asked to join him lol. You just don't get this kind of toughness in his character anymore. Does this look like a dude that what take orders from his wife when she's in danger? I also see a lot of people that crap of 70's Cage by seeing he's a buffoon that just throws out punchlines - that just couldn't be further from the truth.

Further proof that he wasn't just a raging jive talking ball of anger. He did soft stuff too and it was nice. Look at my man with these beautiful women!

BANNED

Ed McGuinness's Power Man/Luke Cage concept:

I like that it's more of a celebrity superhero look, but the nuclear power motiff and chain belt don't work for me. I love the goggles/shades though! The belt would look better if it were more like Alvarez's. The Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon and Disney Infinity game gave him a better suit.

Just needs a jacket IMO.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 08-10-2022 at 11:09 PM.

BANNED

First of all, I'm a big fan of 90's Superboy and I feel like Geoff Johns stripped away a lot of what made me love the character. After the revelation of him being 90% of Lex Luthor's DNA he became moody and it just didn't feel like the character I loved reading about in Hawaii with Tana Moon. In some ways Superboy has the same issue Luke has. Hey stripped him from his badass leather jacket and spandex that he wore in his debut and Young Justice and just threw him in a tshirt and jeans. Got rid of the heat ray goggles that helped further distinguish him from Clark. I'd love to see Conner on Hero for Hire tho lol.

In David Walker's Power Man and Iron Fist run they had a replica of the Fantastic Car that they slapped the Iron Fist and Power Man symbol on and used that. But I do like the idea of Luke having a helicopter for transportation and a sick bulletproof ride. Maybe a ride like Dominic Torreto? A 1970 Dodge Charger!That'd be sick.

Two questions though. What do you think Luke's Networth is? And did you read the 4 part series by Genndy Tartakovsky? What did you think of so?
    Totally agree about Conner. When Geoff brought him onto the Teen Titans, he got rid of everything that made him interesting, namely his cockiness and his awesome look. Turning him into an introvert to be more like Clark was silly, but Geoff wanted to parallel the Trinity for whatever reason instead of letting these characters be themselves. The personality transition didn't even make sense if you know anything about human psychology.

It's been so long since I read that-- I forgot all about it!

I could see DW getting him to drive around in silly vehicles in order to sell toys like:

A classic Charger would be exactly up Luke's alley.

I originally got the car idea from this scene in xXx: State of the Union--

His ride could change from story to story.

Now I really want to see Sean Gordon Murphy draw up a car chase starring Power Man. . .

Luke is a straight up badass. He punk'd a dude for his name and told him if he used it again he tattoo on him. I remember the issue he beat up Ben Donavon so bad he asked to join him lol. You just don't get this kind of toughness in his character anymore. Does this look like a dude that what take orders from his wife when she's in danger? I also see a lot of people that crap of 70's Cage by seeing he's a buffoon that just throws out punchlines - that just couldn't be further from the truth.
    "I'm not a businessman, I'm a business, man." - Jay-Z

To be clear though, I think we both agree that Luke would listen to Jessica's input, but he certainly wouldn't hide away with this kid while his family is in danger. He'd probably leave Dani in the the care of Danny or the F4, while he and Jessica resolved the situation together. If you're telling a Jessica story and don't want Luke in it, there are a million better ways to explain why he's not around in the current story.

Further proof that he wasn't just a raging jive talking ball of anger. He did soft stuff too and it was nice. Look at my man with these beautiful women!
    Yeah, he was always multidimensional in how he expressed himself. Kind of reminds me of a description of Conan the Barbarian by his original author:

"Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet."
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 08-10-2022 at 11:31 PM.

BANNED

I don't think Luke's networth has ever been mentioned, but I don't think he's wealthy in any way:

That said, he should have made bank as a Hero for Hire. He should be at least as wealthy as a star pro-athlete who sells a lot of merch. Pretty dumb that there are YouTubers out there with more money than Luke, who would no doubt be a sponsor magnet.

I did read the four part series by Genndy Tartakovsky when it was originally released, but I haven't revisted it since then, so I can't really speak on it now. That said, I do remember thinking it was a fun out-of-continuity story that would have worked even better if it were actually an animated comedy like most of Genndy's other notable work. You can tell he's been a Blaxploitation fan for a long time, since he made Action Hank way back in the day:

Even though stuff like that can be a fun one-off from time to time, I think folks need to drop the Blaxploitation callbacks in order to move the character forward. I mean, it's fine for flashbacks and stuff and can add some humor in that way, but what made the original stories work wasn't the slang or the kitsch or the time period-- It was the morally gray business man, who was out for revenege and to clear his name, who secretly had his own set of principles, and who would find himself as the straight man in comedic situations. It's the same appeal as the ambitious bad boy archetype with "heart of gold" and comedy elements mixed in. It would be funny though if the Genndy series was a "movie" that Luke was contractually obligated to star in, and he gets punked for it from time to time by both his friends and complete strangers, lol.

What was your opinion of the Genndy series? Your opinion is probably more valid than mine, since it seems like you have a better recollection of it.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 08-10-2022 at 11:53 PM.

BANNED

BANNED

I actually have thought this myself. I remember back in the day when he would be shot he'd be bruised - or the shots would sting depending on the weapon of choice. Those times were fun. I see Cage with Iron Fist and I'm like why do they work with Daredevil when their power scales are so above him now. lol.
    They're not that much above him.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I think it was a mistake to make Luke overpowered. I liked that he wasn't in the same class as guys like Hercules and Wonder Man. Heck, he wasn't even in the same class as Thundra and She-Hulk. And he didn't need to be! Luke is more of a street level fighter -- doesn't need the additional power to take on cosmic types. But I guess all of that is behind him. The best we can hope for is a mini-series set in the 70s that could address some of the blacksploitation dialogue people didn't like.
    When has he ever been depicted as being as strong as those guys?

BANNED

I wouldn't mind Luke, Colossus, and She-Hulk moving from Super-Mediumweights to Heavyweights.

I always thought Silver Surfer and Ghost Rider were Super-Heavyweights.

Glad MCU Stve and T'Challa got bumped up from Peak Human class to Mediumwight class, or else why take the drugs at all?

Ed McGuinness's Power Man/Luke Cage concept:

I like that it's more of a celebrity superhero look, but the nuclear power motiff and chain belt don't work for me. I love the goggles/shades though! The belt would look better if it were more like Alvarez's. The Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon and Disney Infinity game gave him a better suit.
    I Like McGuiness, and I do prefer Luke to have a costume and keep the Power Man name, but, while having potential, this needs a lot of work. Why the nuclear motiff. As far as I know, there is no nuclear connection in Luke's origin.

I hate Bendis' work, and this story, like much of Bendis' work, was pretentious and really doesn't live up to its rep, however, IMHO, it had some great designs.

I wouldn't mind Luke, Colossus, and She-Hulk moving from Super-Mediumweights to Heavyweights.

I always thought Silver Surfer and Ghost Rider were Super-Heavyweights.

Glad MCU Stve and T'Challa got bumped up from Peak Human class to Mediumwight class, or else why take the drugs at all?
    Even when this was released, there was so much wrong with it.

Peace