Page 1 of 43 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Sweet Christmas! - Luke Cage Appreciation 2022

Show some love for the Hero of Harlem, the Hero for Hire................LUKE CAGE

Netflix show- 2 seasons
    Former Leader of the New Avengers
    Former Leader of th eMighty Avengers
    Former LEader of the Thunderbolts
    Hero for Hire
    Defender for Harlem
    Bulletproof
    Father
    Family Man
    Role model
    The total package
    Last edited by Jabare; 12-31-2021 at 10:31 PM.
    The J-man

Happy New Year Luke Cage!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Happy New Year to OG!Power Man Luke Cage and his fans .

Soon to be Mayor Cage. Here's hoping for a new series cause I haven't really enjoyed a Luke Cage solo since Steve Englehart wrote him. I love this character.

In honor of Cage here's my own little bs fan art. I was attempting to update his classic costume and at the time it was current, but now it looks like he's in an early 2000's R&B group or something. lol

Cage 2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    In honor of Cage here's my own little bs fan art. I was attempting to update his classic costume and at the time it was current, but now it looks like he's in an early 2000's R&B group or something. lol

Cage 2.jpg
    Nice drawing. Could you do Luke's classic Power Man outfit? I really loved that look on him, including his man-tiara.

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Quote Originally Posted by LukeCagefan View Post
    Soon to be Mayor Cage.
    Oh dear god no, is Marvel really going to follow through on that threat? The first press conference is going to be wild.

Reporter: You went by Luke Cage while you were framed for a crime you didn'tt commit. When your name was cleared you still went by Luke Cage instead of going back to your real name Carl Lucas. Did your parents do something to make you ashamed of them?

Luke Cage: Next question...

Reporter: Why are you so boring from a visual standpoint? Why don't you wear a costume?

Luke Cage: That is a question I can answer! I'm keeping it real!

Reporter: What do you mean by that? Black People love superhero costumes just as much as white people Don't you think it comes off as lazy and kind of racist that Marvel thinks that giving you an actual costume and committing to the name Power Man would be taking you too far from your blaxsploitation roots?

Luke Cage: Uhh..Next question

Reporter: Don't you find it strange that you are called The Hero Of Harlem while all the other heroes aren't shouting out parts of the city?

Luke Cage: That's not true! Daredevil is The Hero Of Hell's Kitchen!

Reporter: The exception that proves the rule?

Luke Cage: My people need me!

Reporter: Do they really? Has Harlem faced anything that only you could have helped them defeat?

Luke Cage: NEX..

Reporter: Furthermore isn't making you mayor just Marvel Comics way of admitting that they don't know what to do with you? So they are giving you a nice feel good title in lieu of something interesting to do?

Luke Cage: Look man, I'm just trying to keep my head down and not get replaced or end up being problematic like Danny Rand.

Reporter: Thank you for your time Mr Mayor.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 01-09-2022 at 02:52 PM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Ultimate Member

I am always intrigued by little gaps in a hero's backstory that leave some wiggle room for new story potential, and I wonder if the evil creeps that experimented on him while he was a prisoner experimented on any *other* inmates, and possibly were attempting to create a kind of super-soldier with treatments involving various systems of the body.

Luke's skin and musculature got enhanced, but it could be neat if some other inmate ended up with enhanced nervous system (and basically super-speed / reflexes) or something. Presumably none of these inmates were volunteers, and presumably most were failures (since there haven't been an army of Power Broker'd ex-cons running around... Or have there?), and got disappeared by the experimentors, but also it's quite likely that any other successes (like the enhanced nervous system dude I just proposed) were *not* falsely imprisoned, and actually were a bad, bad person, exactly the sort that would become a super-villain with their new powers!

Or the secret backers of the research kidnap Luke Cage to analyze why the procedure that they've attempted on others since then has only succeeded on him, so far, and if they can isolate the factor and pump out an army of bulletproof super-soldiers...

Basically, his origin story has a lot of potential to mine for future stories. Were the experimenters in any way tied to the Weapon X or Super-Soldier or Power Broker researchers? Probably at least remotely, even if the various head researchers had met at conferences or gone to school together, and quite likely some of their research crossed back and forth, either officially or covertly or via espionage! And so Luke Cage might have some funky ties to folk like Wolverine or Captain America or such icons of the superhero community as D-Man.

I thought there was a story somewhere that stated that Luke's prison experimentation was an extension/relation to Weapon X and SSS?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Oh dear god no, is Marvel really going to follow through on that threat? The first press conference is going to be wild.

Reporter: You went by Luke Cage while you were framed for a crime you didn'tt commit. When your name was cleared you still went by Luke Cage instead of going back to your real name Carl Lucas. Did your parents do something to make you ashamed of them?

Luke Cage: Next question...

Reporter: Why are you so boring from a visual standpoint? Why don't you wear a costume?

Luke Cage: That is a question I can answer! I'm keeping it real!

Reporter: What do you mean by that? Black People love superhero costumes just as much as white people Don't you think it comes off as lazy and kind of racist that Marvel thinks that giving you an actual costume and committing to the name Power Man would be taking you too far from your blaxsploitation roots?

Luke Cage: Uhh..Next question

Reporter: Don't you find it strange that you are called The Hero Of Harlem while all the other heroes aren't shouting out parts of the city?

Luke Cage: That's not true! Daredevil is The Hero Of Hell's Kitchen!

Reporter: The exception that proves the rule?

Luke Cage: My people need me!

Reporter: Do they really? Has Harlem faced anything that only you could have helped them defeat?

Luke Cage: NEX..

Reporter: Furthermore isn't making you mayor just Marvel Comics way of admitting that they don't know what to do with you? So they are giving you a nice feel good title in lieu of something interesting to do?

Luke Cage: Look man, I'm just trying to keep my head down and not get replaced or end up being problematic like Danny Rand.

Reporter: Thank you for your time Mr Mayor.
    Hahaha �������� Loved this. He really should have a more distinct look and I love the Power Man moniker.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I am always intrigued by little gaps in a hero's backstory that leave some wiggle room for new story potential, and I wonder if the evil creeps that experimented on him while he was a prisoner experimented on any *other* inmates, and possibly were attempting to create a kind of super-soldier with treatments involving various systems of the body. Anyhow, great concept. I think David Walker touched on that concept on his shortlived series.

Luke's skin and musculature got enhanced, but it could be neat if some other inmate ended up with enhanced nervous system (and basically super-speed / reflexes) or something. Presumably none of these inmates were volunteers, and presumably most were failures (since there haven't been an army of Power Broker'd ex-cons running around... Or have there?), and got disappeared by the experimentors, but also it's quite likely that any other successes (like the enhanced nervous system dude I just proposed) were *not* falsely imprisoned, and actually were a bad, bad person, exactly the sort that would become a super-villain with their new powers!

Or the secret backers of the research kidnap Luke Cage to analyze why the procedure that they've attempted on others since then has only succeeded on him, so far, and if they can isolate the factor and pump out an army of bulletproof super-soldiers...

Basically, his origin story has a lot of potential to mine for future stories. Were the experimenters in any way tied to the Weapon X or Super-Soldier or Power Broker researchers? Probably at least remotely, even if the various head researchers had met at conferences or gone to school together, and quite likely some of their research crossed back and forth, either officially or covertly or via espionage! And so Luke Cage might have some funky ties to folk like Wolverine or Captain America or such icons of the superhero community as D-Man.
    In order to explore that Marvel would actually have to care about him which they have proven they don't. I'll never understand how since 2006 Moon Knight has had a crap ton of series and guys like Blade and Cage get nothing. Iron Fist has had more solos than Luke now when Luke got first billing of the original series back in the day.
    Last edited by LukeCagefan; 01-10-2022 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I thought there was a story somewhere that stated that Luke's prison experimentation was an extension/relation to Weapon X and SSS?
    I wouldn't be surprised. Morrison expanded the whole Weapon X program years ago
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Yes, it was. I can't remember where I read it but it was mentioned. I'll try to see if I can find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post

I wouldn't be surprised. Morrison expanded the whole Weapon X program years ago
    Thanks for posting that clip, Jabare. I think I did see it before but good to see it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Yes, it was. I can't remember where I read it but it was mentioned. I'll try to see if I can find it.
    Thanks, I would like to see it.