Page 8 of 43 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

So anyone have thoughts on Mike Colter's performance as Luke Cage?
    Last edited by LukeCagefan; 04-23-2022 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeCagefan View Post
    I don't have a problem with him. But I do have a problem with what they gave him to work with and that he didn't resemble the classic version of the character in personality or appearance. Which I think the actor could have accomplished if allowed to.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

I thought he was great
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Niffleheim

He looked great but Performance? Yes most definitely simply because it was his first leading role in a show. I've mostly seen him in supporting roles in The Good Wife and playing J's father in Men in Black 3. However I think the writing was what really let him down.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I don't have a problem with him. But I do have a problem with what they gave him to work with and that he didn't resemble the classic version of the character in personality or appearance. Which I think the actor could have accomplished if allowed to.
    I do feel like he lacked Luke's trash talking and charismatic swagger, but that seems like it was more of a writers decision than Colter. We saw flashes of it in season 2. Yeah...he called the 70's outfit foolish...Mike Colter said it looked racist when he first saw it.
    Last edited by LukeCagefan; 04-23-2022 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    He looked great but Performance? Yes most definitely simply because it was his first leading role in a show. I've mostly seen him in supporting roles in The Good Wife and playing J's father in Men in Black 3. However I think the writing was what really let him down.
    Could be right. Though, in most of the roles I've seen him in her seemed rather stiff which really isn't Cage.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I only saw him on Jessica Jones. Wasn't interested enough to watch his Netflix series. He wasn't Luke to me. I did watch Iron Fist, though. I liked most of it with the exception of the miscast main character. I think Colter was a fine choice, but there was nothing about that series that captured what I liked about Power Man/Luke Cage that I could see.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I only saw him on Jessica Jones. Wasn't interested enough to watch his Netflix series. He wasn't Luke to me. I did watch Iron Fist, though. I liked most of it with the exception of the miscast main character. I think Colter was a fine choice, but there was nothing about that series that captured what I liked about Power Man/Luke Cage that I could see.
    What did you feel like he lacked as Power Man?

Astonishing Member

What did you feel like he lacked as Power Man?
    A cool look.

Anybody read Daredevil Reign Omega? Luke was featured in it.

Anybody read Daredevil Reign Omega? Luke was featured in it.
    Read it and definitely dug it. Couldn't help but be proud of Luke seeing that he's the new mayor. Seeing him and Danny in shirts and ties shows how far they've come since being Heroes For Hire. Luke's new role certainly is touching on real life politics. Coming from the NY/NJ area, I drew parallels between him and Mayor Eric Adams over in the city. A part of me felt disheartened though. Mayor Adams is doing his best, but I see that shootings and violence are still prevalent. News reports have been less than stellar. The same could befall Luke. Echoes of national politics reverberated in this issue as well. That contingent of Fisk supporters gave Trump supporter vibes. Indeed, he already has to deal with the remnants of the Fisk's Thunderbolts. That "cop hater" line really stung.

However, I see Luke as being ready to take the challenge. There's a confidence in his demeanor and I think he can forge his own right way. And I'm already excited where that might go. The addition of the son of the Purple Man in his family is pretty cool and ties into his wife Jessica's past, so I like that as well.

How does NYC look under the leadership of Mayor Luke Cage? That's a good question. I look forward to the answer.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Read it and definitely dug it. Couldn't help but be proud of Luke seeing that he's the new mayor. Seeing him and Danny in shirts and ties shows how far they've come since being Heroes For Hire. Luke's new role certainly is touching on real life politics. Coming from the NY/NJ area, I drew parallels between him and Mayor Eric Adams over in the city. A part of me felt disheartened though. Mayor Adams is doing his best, but I see that shootings and violence are still prevalent. News reports have been less than stellar. The same could befall Luke. Echoes of national politics reverberated in this issue as well. That contingent of Fisk supporters gave Trump supporter vibes. Indeed, he already has to deal with the remnants of the Fisk's Thunderbolts. That "cop hater" line really stung.

However, I see Luke as being ready to take the challenge. There's a confidence in his demeanor and I think he can forge his own right way. And I'm already excited where that might go. The addition of the son of the Purple Man in his family is pretty cool and ties into his wife Jessica's past, so I like that as well.

How does NYC look under the leadership of Mayor Luke Cage? That's a good question. I look forward to the answer.
    Good breakdown. I personally don't think it's in Luke's character to hate police. He doesn't trust them easily but hate I wouldn't say that's true to his character. His father was a cop, Misty Knight was a cop and he had a rather decent relationship with them during his Hero-for-Hire days. I am curious to see how this son of his plays into his family though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post

Incidentally, looks like we can check another one off the list of future events as shown in History of the Marvel Universe, as there was something there about Luke and Jessica's second child, which Joe Kilgrave will count as if they're adopting him. Only Emma/Tony hasn't happened now I think.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Incidentally, looks like we can check another one off the list of future events as shown in History of the Marvel Universe, as there was something there about Luke and Jessica's second child, which Joe Kilgrave will count as if they're adopting him. Only Emma/Tony hasn't happened now I think.
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean? Did I miss something?

Good breakdown. I personally don't think it's in Luke's character to hate police. He doesn't trust them easily but hate I wouldn't say that's true to his character. His father was a cop, Misty Knight was a cop and he had a rather decent relationship with them during his Hero-for-Hire days. I am curious to see how this son of his plays into his family though.
    Good point bro. I think that the term "cop hater" is a loaded one, with multiple connotations. Does Luke hate all cops? Does he hate Fisk's Thunderbolt cops? Is he against law and order? Does he think that law and order is coded for systematic racism of Black Americans like certain groups say? Oh so Mayor Luke is going to go to the One Police Plaza which is just a stone's throw away from city hall and tear it down, right? Take down the cops that have held this city together for so long.

That's what I mean by stung. And I think that was the intention of that Thunderbolt cop, just to troll and get under Luke's unbreakable skin. How does Luke as the mayor handle that? If Marvel plays this right, it could open a wealth of story possibilities, especially when it comes to the street heroes. Indeed in light of events over the past several years, I've wondered if there should be a change in how the street level should be handled in the Marvel Universe. In the past, the answer to rival gangs, street thugs, and drug dealers was more force. Street heroes had to be tougher. However, in the past few years, people are becoming aware of new ideas. Gangs and drug dealers? Many feel these are the results of racist policies meant to keep Black and brown people segregated from white communities. Maybe if these communities were given better access to jobs, education, and health care, and not harsher laws and tougher cops, maybe we wouldn't have these problems. At the same time, a person holds up the convenience store or robs the bank and they have that weapon and no amount of talking it out works.............in that immediate situation, will better access to education and healthcare help?

Bringing it all back, that's what I think Luke can deal with as the mayor of the city. Again, he parallels Mayor Eric Adams. Adams was a cop who seeks to maintain a balance between policing and the community. Luke Cage is one of the premiere street level heroes in the MU. Maybe he could bring that balance between superheroes and community improvement. I'm really looking forward to how Luke could handle the political sphere.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."