Page 10 of 43 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

I feel like it would be regressing his character development somewhat, but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like it would be regressing his character development somewhat, but that's just me.
    But is it considered character development if his character isn't really thriving from it? A lot of the characteristics that's made him interesting had been stripped away from him. I guess the case can be made that it depends on the writer but I just get the feeling that writers are generally interested in Luke or Jessica but neither seem interested in them as a whole outside of Bendis and maybe Al Ewing. I think Jessica's popularity has grown since the show so fans of her seem to push Luke in the background when they tell stories about her. In Luke Cage's last solo Jessica was barely in it.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeCagefan View Post
    But is it considered character development if his character isn't really thriving from it? A lot of the characteristics that's made him interesting had been stripped away from him. I guess the case can be made that it depends on the writer but I just get the feeling that writers are generally interested in Luke or Jessica but neither seem interested in them as a whole outside of Bendis and maybe Al Ewing. I think Jessica's popularity has grown since the show so fans of her seem to push Luke in the background when they tell stories about her. In Luke Cage's last solo Jessica was barely in it.
    Well, I guess it depends how you look at it, I feel like he has a stronger, more respected, position in the Superhero community now and he's someone who can say he's lead Earth's Mightiest Heroes on numerous occasions while still maintaining his care for the little guy and the community.

I guess that's partially the issue with telling solo stories with married Superheroes to where you have to acknowledge their spouse but you don't want them hogging screentime or taking the focus away from the main character. It's less of an issue in, say, team books but it's like how you wouldn't expect Danny to dominate a Luke solo or the other way around which is different than a Power Man and Iron Fist book.

Just my two cents. I hope I explained myself well.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, I guess it depends how you look at it, I feel like he has a stronger, more respected, position in the Superhero community now and he's someone who can say he's lead Earth's Mightiest Heroes on numerous occasions while still maintaining his care for the little guy and the community.

I guess that's partially the issue with telling solo stories with married Superheroes to where you have to acknowledge their spouse but you don't want them hogging screentime or taking the focus away from the main character. It's less of an issue in, say, team books but it's like how you wouldn't expect Danny to dominate a Luke solo or the other way around which is different than a Power Man and Iron Fist book.

Just my two cents. I hope I explained myself well.
    Nah, I totally feel you. You stated your opinion well!!

Nah, I totally feel you. You stated your opinion well!!
    Thank you .

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Yeah, those stories are really good. I guess the "fix" would be having 70s Luke time travel to the present and replacing current Luke.

He'd probably be a celebrity superhero today who does advertising and pro bono work on the side. As long as the writers could keep him grounded with his old complexity, I think it could work.
    I would worry that bringing the more classic Luke to the modern era might result in him being written as a caricature of a 1970s black man. Some of the stuff from back then was cringeworthy, imho.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I would worry that bringing the more classic Luke to the modern era might result in him being written as a caricature of a 1970s black man. Some of the stuff from back then was cringeworthy, imho.
    Yes, this could happen.

But also, it is just so difficult for the writers of today to go back and capture the magic that certain books had---it is virtually impossible. Which is sad because some had really great appeal in many areas!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    You're torturing me with all this. I miss this dude so much!!!

Astonishing Member

Sal Buscema and Klaus Janson made a terrific are team. Pretty sure that is their artwork in the panel above (from Steve Gerber era of Defenders).

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    If you have the right folks to watchdog that doesn't happen as much.

You don't go get say the Wayan Brothers. Because that is what you are going to get since the movie they wanted to do with a guy like Cage is DOA.

Vita-NO.

Ridley-NO.

Eve Ewing? she might research Luke Cage to death and bring back Troop from the 90s series along with Luke's brother and Dad.

I think it boils down to what angle with Cage is being done.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    If you have the right folks to watchdog that doesn't happen as much.

You don't go get say the Wayan Brothers. Because that is what you are going to get since the movie they wanted to do with a guy like Cage is DOA.

Vita-NO.

Ridley-NO.

Eve Ewing? she might research Luke Cage to death and bring back Troop from the 90s series along with Luke's brother and Dad.

I think it boils down to what angle with Cage is being done.
    The problem is that nobody particularly seems interested in Cage as he is of now. But you'd find a lot folks that found him as a Hero for Hire with an attitude, 'ladies man' and partner to the real Iron Fist interesting. I don't know. I'd love a 70's book with Cage, Rand and Daughters of the Dragon. I think Al Ewing could write it well.
    Last edited by LukeCagefan; 06-21-2022 at 11:42 AM.

Still can't believe for the 50th anniversary all we've gotten so far is Luke in another group focused book and a title as Mayor. Couldn't even give him his own book to focus on the new status quo. He has to share it. Ghost Rider got his own series for his 50th anniversary.

Ultimate Member

The problem is that nobody particularly seems interested in Cage as he is of now. But you'd find a lot folks that found him as a Hero for Hire with an attitude and a 'ladies man' interesting. I don't know. I'd love a 70's book with Cage, Rand and Daughters of the Dragon. I think Al Ewing could write it well.
    The thing is what do you do with the kid more than the wife?

Where is that babysitter that Franklin in FF seemed to have that Danielle could get?

Because she is not going anywhere. We have seen too many futures with her as almost everyone except Hulk and Iron in other books.

I guess that is where Dad, brother and Troop could come in.

There are plenty of people interested in Cage as he is now he's just not being used enough like many other characters at Marvel.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8