Page 25 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

We ever going to get more on Mayor Cage? Anyone heard anything on that?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    We ever going to get more on Mayor Cage? Anyone heard anything on that?
    Yeah. He's supposed to be appearing in Thunderbolts at the end of the month. I believe that will be his house of showcase for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post

Ed McGuinness's Power Man/Luke Cage concept:

I like that it's more of a celebrity superhero look, but the nuclear power motiff and chain belt don't work for me. I love the goggles/shades though! The belt would look better if it were more like Alvarez's. The Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon and Disney Infinity game gave him a better suit.

Just needs a jacket IMO.
    I really need him to have this celebrity style costume - to me it just makes a lot of sense. It's a perfect evolution of his origin look. He just shouldn't be playing looking. How powers are already basic and it doesn't help that he looks aesthetically unappealing.

Totally agree about Conner. When Geoff brought him onto the Teen Titans, he got rid of everything that made him interesting, namely his cockiness and his awesome look. Turning him into an introvert to be more like Clark was silly, but Geoff wanted to parallel the Trinity for whatever reason instead of letting these characters be themselves. The personality transition didn't even make sense if you know anything about human psychology.

It's been so long since I read that-- I forgot all about it!

I could see DW getting him to drive around in silly vehicles in order to sell toys like:

A classic Charger would be exactly up Luke's alley.

I originally got the car idea from this scene in xXx: State of the Union--

His ride could change from story to story.

Now I really want to see Sean Gordon Murphy draw up a car chase starring Power Man. . .

"I'm not a businessman, I'm a business, man." - Jay-Z

To be clear though, I think we both agree that Luke would listen to Jessica's input, but he certainly wouldn't hide away with this kid while his family is in danger. He'd probably leave Dani in the the care of Danny or the F4, while he and Jessica resolved the situation together. If you're telling a Jessica story and don't want Luke in it, there are a million better ways to explain why he's not around in the current story.

Yeah, he was always multidimensional in how he expressed himself. Kind of reminds me of a description of Conan the Barbarian by his original author:

"Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet."
    Definitely agreed on Conner. Just imagining a car chasing scene with Luke made me chuckle. It'd be pretty dope. That Jay-Z line was taylored made for Cage. Lmao.

Yeah, in no way am I suggesting he wouldn't even talk to her or listen to her input. Jessica is a damn good P.I. and I actually enjoyed her run in Alias, I'm just not seeing this deal where whenever there's a problem with their daughter Marvel finds these uncharacteristic motivations for Luke to leave. Simply say he's with Danny in Kun-Lun, in the Savage Land or assisting the Fantastic 4. Stop with this stay at home dad stuff. Or just let them solve the issue. Luke Cage is also a private investigator.

You know what, just the other day I was thinking it'd be awesome if Conan meet Power Man lol.

I don't think Luke's networth has ever been mentioned, but I don't think he's wealthy in any way:

That said, he should have made bank as a Hero for Hire. He should be at least as wealthy as a star pro-athlete who sells a lot of merch. Pretty dumb that there are YouTubers out there with more money than Luke, who would no doubt be a sponsor magnet.

I did read the four part series by Genndy Tartakovsky when it was originally released, but I haven't revisted it since then, so I can't really speak on it now. That said, I do remember thinking it was a fun out-of-continuity story that would have worked even better if it were actually an animated comedy like most of Genndy's other notable work. You can tell he's been a Blaxploitation fan for a long time, since he made Action Hank way back in the day:

Even though stuff like that can be a fun one-off from time to time, I think folks need to drop the Blaxploitation callbacks in order to move the character forward. I mean, it's fine for flashbacks and stuff and can add some humor in that way, but what made the original stories work wasn't the slang or the kitsch or the time period-- It was the morally gray business man, who was out for revenege and to clear his name, who secretly had his own set of principles, and who would find himself as the straight man in comedic situations. It's the same appeal as the ambitious bad boy archetype with "heart of gold" and comedy elements mixed in. It would be funny though if the Genndy series was a "movie" that Luke was contractually obligated to star in, and he gets punked for it from time to time by both his friends and complete strangers, lol.

What was your opinion of the Genndy series? Your opinion is probably more valid than mine, since it seems like you have a better recollection of it.
    Well, I remember in the 90's Heroes for Hire series he went on a date with She-Hulk and she was very impressed. It was a place called 'Heavens Grill' and it was said to have catered to only the Elites and pro athletes. She also said he spoke several different languages and had done business with very important people. In Alias he owned his own bar so it made me wonder how much money he might be pocketing. I don't see why he shouldn't have a good amount a bank. I personally don't think he should be rich, but he shouldn't be living in a ghetto house like New Avengers had him in when Captain America went to recruit him.

I definitely noticed he had some love for the blaxplotation genre and I'd have definitely welcome a crossover with Cage and Samurai Jack in his cartoon series lol.

At first the art really threw me off and I felt his gestures were a bit over exaggerated so I avoided the series for a good long while, but when I realized that the art was the artist's unique style I decided to give it a chance. I had a few laughs and it was nice seeing Cage as the most badsss dude in any room he stepped in.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    They're not that much above him.
    In strength and power I'd say they are. In the Avengers run Iron Fist was destroying aircrafts and hitting the Hulk's son with enough force to send him flying. Cage was able to uppercut the Thing and fight Namor in water blow for blow. Cage also is able to jump out of aircrafts and lend perfectly with no injuries. Murdock can't do any of those things.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    I Like McGuiness, and I do prefer Luke to have a costume and keep the Power Man name, but, while having potential, this needs a lot of work. Why the nuclear motiff. As far as I know, there is no nuclear connection in Luke's origin.

I hate Bendis' work, and this story, like much of Bendis' work, was pretentious and really doesn't live up to its rep, however, IMHO, it had some great designs.

Even when this was released, there was so much wrong with it.

Peace
    Agreed on all points.

What did you not like about Bendis' work?

And what was wrong the panel?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LukeCagefan View Post
    Well, I remember in the 90's Heroes for Hire series he went on a date with She-Hulk and she was very impressed. It was a place called 'Heavens Grill' and it was said to have catered to only the Elites and pro athletes. She also said he spoke several different languages and had done business with very important people. In Alias he owned his own bar so it made me wonder how much money he might be pocketing. I don't see why he shouldn't have a good amount a bank. I personally don't think he should be rich, but he shouldn't be living in a ghetto house like New Avengers had him in when Captain America went to recruit him.
    That's awesome. I'll check that out, because that sounds like a natural evolution to the character. I wish they had continued down that path and just given him a better costume -_-

Sounds way more progressive.

BANNED

He has so much potential to be a solo franchise lead again, rather than a supporting or background player in the Marvel Universe
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 08-11-2022 at 01:40 PM.

He has so much potential to be a solo franchise lead again, rather than a supporting or background player in the Marvel Universe
    They scared of our boy lol. Can't believe he's only a support character in team books.

What did you not like about Bendis' work?
    Often too much talking not enough action. Ignores even HIS OWN continuity. Decompression extreme. Doesn't respect the characters, especially those he doesn't like (and often seems to write quite a lot of these). I doubt he actually likes super-hero comics. Likes to pass other people's ideas as his own, just by tweaking them a little, and quite often the original product is MUCH better ( I could give you a really big list here, especially of his Avengers run). Good at set-ups, terible at pay-offs. Really likes to push his pet characters down the readers throats. Not my least favorite writer, but high up in the list. And I didn't even get to the dialogue.
    Is that enough?

And what was wrong the panel?
    Mostly the strength levels of many characters don't match and are way off, with many too high and others too low in the scale, even compared to what we saw at the time it was released.

Peace

BANNED

They scared of our boy lol. Can't believe he's only a support character in team books.
    Bendis took away his leading man looks and aged him, he doesn't have a flashy costume, and he's now more known as being a dad than the Hero for Hire-- Not exactly a recipe for the character to succesfully carry a book again. Just too generic.

Anways, I like how he used to be a sex symbol:

Last edited by SecretWarrior; 08-12-2022 at 08:55 AM.

BANNED

Rugged and smart:

BANNED