Page 7 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Yeah, but that's one of the huge problems with Marvel/Disney these days. They are more concerned with representation than good stories! I don't care if Luke and Jessica are married or not, but as far as stories go, give me Luke as Power Man teamed with Danny as Iron Fist. Everyone else are just supporting characters. I read and liked ALIAS. I watched and liked Netflix's Jessica Jones. But I honestly don't give a crap if I ever see the character again.
    I am sure Marvel will gladly explain to you how wrong that is.

Because it seems funny if the writer is not a straight white male-folks takes issue with them being hired. And already write off the book before issue one.

Because once upon a time POC and LGTQA folks were not even sniffing interviews at Marvel or DC. In Marvel's case having Priest, McDuffie, Lee, Ching, Cowans, Hama and Graham was enough.

And when Marvel tried to give folks good stories they got dismissed because SOMEONE could not get pass the race, gender or sexuality of the creative team. Books were dismissed by the constant complaints about Marvel being more concerned with representation. With not one page read.

When Danny had a book-nobody supported it.

When Luke had one-nobody supported it.

We just saw excuses.

So Danny got replaced (unfairly) and Luke floats around.

Maybe if fans stop gatekeeping and give writers a legit shot and offer actual feedback-things can change.

Maybe the person who can do the book you want can get called.

Yeah, but that's one of the huge problems with Marvel/Disney these days. They are more concerned with representation than good stories! I don't care if Luke and Jessica are married or not, but as far as stories go, give me Luke as Power Man teamed with Danny as Iron Fist. Everyone else are just supporting characters. I read and liked ALIAS. I watched and liked Netflix's Jessica Jones. But I honestly don't give a crap if I ever see the character again.

Luke is really a non-entity these days. I would like to see a wayback tale of Luke in 70s attire set in a gritty NYC story. The bald guy in suits isn't my cup of tea.
    When the main reason is because they're an interracial couple to me they shouldn't be married at all. It's clear to me most writers care little about their marriage. When Luke was on New Avengers just was floating around more often than not and her supporters hated it. When Luke is in Jessica's book he's just a babysitter. I agree with everything you said. I'd like a book centered around Danny Rand, Luke Cage, Misty and Colleen set in the 70's than what we currently have.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by LukeCagefan View Post
    I don't think Marvel is particularly invested in their marriage since Bendis departed so why not let it die and let them both move on. Also, I'll need proof of Luke hooking up with dozens of women outside of a cheap throw away line from Bendis in Alias. Jessica Jones has been on panel masturbating to a photo of the Human Torch, banged by Ant-Man, admitted to crushing on Peter Parker right in front of her husband, screwed by some nobody security guard on top of a car, supposedly hooked with Hellstorm...I know Luke dated Claire in the 70's, had Harmony Young and dated Jenifer Walters for two seconds in the 90's. So yes, I find it a bit annoying, variant or not, her kissing a dude that actually is a cape chaser that doesn't need any more notches under his belt lol. To me writers of today are shipping whores anyway - which is why I don't think they particularly care about marriages.
    Luke's implied dating history has been mentioned by more than just Bendis and is canon until some editor decides it's not. Having said that, it is slightly problematic, it's just this side of the stereotype of black men being overly promiscuous Mandingos. And yes, I do think it's fair to blame Bendis for that. It's seems Bendis though was doing that a lot back then though...implying that every hero was hooking up with just whoever.

But yeah, I do agree that Marvel doesn't care about most marriages these days. If they could figure out a way to separate Luke and Jessica without creating "controversy" they would.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    to be fair to Luke all those relationships happened before he was serious with Jessica
    That's fair. I just thought that it was interesting to bring up an alternative universe story that hasn't even come out yet and point to it as an example of how bad Jones is.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Luke's implied dating history has been mentioned by more than just Bendis and is canon until some editor decides it's not. Having said that, it is slightly problematic, it's just this side of the stereotype of black men being overly promiscuous Mandingos. And yes, I do think it's fair to blame Bendis for that. It's seems Bendis though was doing that a lot back then though...implying that every hero was hooking up with just whoever.

But yeah, I do agree that Marvel doesn't care about most marriages these days. If they could figure out a way to separate Luke and Jessica without creating "controversy" they would.
    Controversy by lame Twitter users who don't support either character. I don't think so. Most of these people don't know Cage is married to a white woman and would probably celebrate it lol - and if they can do it to T'Challa and Storm they can do it to Luke and Jessica. They didn't care about controversy over Pete & MJ either.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    As much as I'm not a fan of the marriage this new status change for Luke gives their marriage a whole other function outside of them just being married. Jessica as his fixer and private investigator makes more sense and gives them more opportunities for more stories and opens them up to a whole new class of villains but it will ONLY work IF he isn't written just as a passive by-stander who has to wait for things just to happen to him. They'll have to make him funny, opportunistic, calculating with a heart of course lol!. Just evolve the the slogan to Politician For Hire

I don't want an idealized Captain America who is noble and good, I want him to see the system as it is and exploit to get his constituents what they need.
    This I sort of agree with, there's lots of story potential here. Heck, there was a tons of story potential in the Luke/Jessica/baby set up, but it's hard these days to sell it in the direct market. It says alot about the contemporary comics market that you can get millions of people to watch a streaming TV show with either Luke or Jones but they struggle with comics fans.

Invincible Member

Controversy by lame Twitter users who don't support either character. I don't think so. Most of these people don't know Cage is married to a white woman and would probably celebrate it lol - and if they can do it to T'Challa and Storm they can do it to Luke and Jessica. They didn't care about controversy over Pete & MJ either.
    That's why I put controversy in quotes...in the big scheme of things if Jones and Cage broke up it wouldn't be that big of a deal. But I'd be surprised if Marvel did the most logical thing and had them get a divorce. They'd rather come up with some reality warp thing where they were never married in the first place and just avoid all the adult stuff that ex-couple have to deal with.

That's why I put controversy in quotes...in the big scheme of things if Jones and Cage broke up it wouldn't be that big of a deal. But I'd be surprised if Marvel did the most logical thing and had them get a divorce. They'd rather come up with some reality warp thing where they were never married in the first place and just avoid all the adult stuff that ex-couple have to deal with.
    I'd have to agree with that. I could see that happening. But if Luke did separate with Jessica who'd you think would make a nice lady for him?
    Last edited by LukeCagefan; 04-22-2022 at 05:02 PM.

Invincible Member

I'd have to agree with that. I could see that happening. But if Luke did separate with Jessica who'd you think would make a nice lady for him?
    Well, if it were me and Claire Temple and Harmony were off the table, I'd invent some non-super love interest for him. My personal thing is these days a lot of heroes lack interesting civilian support casts. And for a character like Luke who's supposed to represent the people, I'd think having friends who are straight from the community would be essential. If it had to be a fighter/hero, I'd make it someone sort of street level like Dakota North ( though not necessarily her).

Well, if it were me and Claire Temple and Harmony were off the table, I'd invent some non-super love interest for him. My personal thing is these days a lot of heroes lack interesting civilian support casts. And for a character like Luke who's supposed to represent the people, I'd think having friends who are straight from the community would be essential. If it had to be a fighter/hero, I'd make it someone sort of street level like Dakota North ( though not necessarily her).
    Dakota North was a supporting character in his 90's series during all 20 issues. I'd love to see her return. I did like characters like Pop and Bobby Fish in the Netflix series. He has D.W. Griffith and had Noah Burstein for awhile. Could also use Victor Alvarez as a supporting cast member.

Also this is from a discussion I had with a friend on here on different ways they can end their marriage. Also the interracial marriage thing isn't nearly as special in today's climate.

It was teased a long time ago that the baby was a Skrull. There was legitimately a panel showing her eyes go green in an unnatural manner. So they could easily say that they never had an actual child in the first place and the one they were living with was an undercover agent.

And regarding interracial relationships and all that. I can't think of any black couples in comics currently. Aside from Mal and Karen Duncan. But they hardly ever appear. The only relationships any black character appears in anymore is interracial and with a white character. Which isn't to even mention the movie and TV adaptions that feature race swapped versions. Because there, you've got Spider-Man, Batman, and Flash.

Why is he dressed like a waiter?
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Why is he dressed like a waiter?
    Hahaha hahaha. They literally have no clue what to make him wear these days. My guess is because he's mayor.

Luke is really a non-entity these days. I would like to see a wayback tale of Luke in 70s attire set in a gritty NYC story. The bald guy in suits isn't my cup of tea.
    Well, Luke being married didn't get in the way of him and Danny being partners in the last Power Man and Iron Fist series at least.
    Dakota North was a supporting character in his 90's series during all 20 issues. I'd love to see her return. I did like characters like Pop and Bobby Fish in the Netflix series. He has D.W. Griffith and had Noah Burstein for awhile. Could also use Victor Alvarez as a supporting cast member.
    I'd love to see Dakota North again .
    Also this is from a discussion I had with a friend on here on different ways they can end their marriage. Also the interracial marriage thing isn't nearly as special in today's climate.

It was teased a long time ago that the baby was a Skrull. There was legitimately a panel showing her eyes go green in an unnatural manner. So they could easily say that they never had an actual child in the first place and the one they were living with was an undercover agent.

And regarding interracial relationships and all that. I can't think of any black couples in comics currently. Aside from Mal and Karen Duncan. But they hardly ever appear. The only relationships any black character appears in anymore is interracial and with a white character. Which isn't to even mention the movie and TV adaptions that feature race swapped versions. Because there, you've got Spider-Man, Batman, and Flash.
    They already dealt with whether Dani was secretly the Purple Man's lovechild. I doubt they'd have her be a Skrull.

There's Misty Knight and Sam Wilson, currently.

I think Blue Marvel and Monica Rambeau are still a thing?