Page 95 of 95 FirstFirst ... 45859192939495
Results 1,411 to 1,422 of 1422

I'm not entirely convinced it is really just a retread. For starters, Stark gave his money away to protect the world. And he sold his business years ago. He hasn't been a businessman in years. And he hasn't even been a broad market dividend investor in months. Both of these were conscious decisions to devote himself to protecting people. That's a huge difference from having these things taken from him.

Second, there is a heavy implication that he hasn't actually fallen off the wagon, but has suffered some sort of attack designed to make it appear that he has fallen off the wagon. So his "recovery" should be much faster this time, since it is not so much him falling off the wagon as being healed from some sci-fi attack.

Basically, it's a story designed to make it look like same-old, same-old, but which is intended to have a twist where it really isn't same-old, same-old.

So I'm inclined to give the whole thing a few issues. If I'm wrong and this really is just a retread, well three issues isn't that big a price to pay for my optimism.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    I'm not entirely convinced it is really just a retread. For starters, Stark gave his money away to protect the world. And he sold his business years ago. He hasn't been a businessman in years. And he hasn't even been a broad market dividend investor in months. Both of these were conscious decisions to devote himself to protecting people. That's a huge difference from having these things taken from him.

Second, there is a heavy implication that he hasn't actually fallen off the wagon, but has suffered some sort of attack designed to make it appear that he has fallen off the wagon. So his "recovery" should be much faster this time, since it is not so much him falling off the wagon as being healed from some sci-fi attack.

Basically, it's a story designed to make it look like same-old, same-old, but which is intended to have a twist where it really isn't same-old, same-old.

So I'm inclined to give the whole thing a few issues. If I'm wrong and this really is just a retread, well three issues isn't that big a price to pay for my optimism.
    Maybe. You do raise a good point there.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Feels like he loses/abandons his company/current venture and loses all his money (or whatever wealth he has) constantly. Maybe because writers are too self-conscious about it.

Unfortunately, I don't think Duggan read Cantwell's run. He's treating Stark Unlimited as something Tony still owns. And Emma Frost being announced to be joining the cast (as was implied by History of the Marvel Universe three years ago, which said she'd marry Tony) makes me suspect it was a 2019 pitch (i.e. pre-Cantwell) which explains that error. That doesn't bode well.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Unfortunately, I don't think Duggan read Cantwell's run. He's treating Stark Unlimited as something Tony still owns. And Emma Frost being announced to be joining the cast (as was implied by History of the Marvel Universe three years ago, which said she'd marry Tony) makes me suspect it was a 2019 pitch (i.e. pre-Cantwell) which explains that error. That doesn't bode well.
    Yeah. It looks like those mistakes will be here for a while. As I’ve stated before Duggan has yet to hook me with one issue, but Frigeri sure the hell has. Just beautifully flowing work. You can count every dent in the Mark 70.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Feels like he loses/abandons his company/current venture and loses all his money (or whatever wealth he has) constantly. Maybe because writers are too self-conscious about it.
    It's just more of the deconstruction plot that writers' love to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    It's just more of the deconstruction plot that writers' love to use.
    As Mark Waid showed in Kingdom Come, deconstruction is useless and pointless without eventual reconstruction. Otherwise, you're just left with a broken thing that doesn't really function anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    As Mark Waid showed in Kingdom Come, deconstruction is useless and pointless without eventual reconstruction. Otherwise, you're just left with a broken thing that doesn't really function anymore.
    Just look at a lot of heroes right now...not in an ideal state .

CBR even has an article about it. A lot of characters hit rock bottom recently.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Yeah, a lot characters have hit rock bottom recently. In fact, since Stark sacrificed his company and money to help people, and most likely suffered some sci-fi attack to cause his appearance of an alcoholic episode, he may well have gotten off the most lightly of the various characters who suffered this.

Amazing Member

'Inferno' is a meditation on destiny, inevitability & sacrifice in relation to the Invincible Iron Man, an iconic Marvel legend. My animated project is a character study of Tony Stark from the '96 Iron Man: The Animated Series (Season 2) that explores the hero's existential crisis, inner demons & evil forces lurking in the shadows, waiting for a perfect chance to strike!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    CBR even has an article about it. A lot of characters hit rock bottom recently.
    Yeah, a lot characters have hit rock bottom recently. In fact, since Stark sacrificed his company and money to help people, and most likely suffered some sci-fi attack to cause his appearance of an alcoholic episode, he may well have gotten off the most lightly of the various characters who suffered this.
    Probably, yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelOsnick11 View Post

'Inferno' is a meditation on destiny, inevitability & sacrifice in relation to the Invincible Iron Man, an iconic Marvel legend. My animated project is a character study of Tony Stark from the '96 Iron Man: The Animated Series (Season 2) that explores the hero's existential crisis, inner demons & evil forces lurking in the shadows, waiting for a perfect chance to strike!
    Thanks for sharing this. Seems very interesting so far.