Page 42 of 95 FirstFirst ... 323839404142434445465292 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member Chainsaw Vigilante's Avatar

I was really enjoying this arc until these past two issues. I felt like they took all these interesting co-stars and guest stars and just made them fodder, both in combat (especially Doom and the Surfer, both of whom have felled greater gods than Starkorvac, heck Gargoyle and Hellcat were Defenders members who faced mystical and cosmic deities as well way back when J.M. DeMatteis wrote that book) and they became more two dimensional ways to move Tony's story ahead aside from Hellcat (so storyline fodder). I was really enjoying this makeshift team more than Tony and his journey at times (it'd be nice to see them revived as a new Defenders team actually). I mean did anyone expect to really enjoy Frog Man in this arc as much as they have (heck Stilt Man earlier in the run was interesting as well), that's the sign of an interesting team dynamic and solid writing; but that just sort of felt thrown in the trash these past two issues. I realize it's Tony's comic, but the arc felt about more than just Tony himself. Hellcat at least was still a solid part of the story.

Tony giving up his power cosmic felt too easily resolved this latest issue after all of the rest of the storyline was paced slower to tell a more in-depth story, it doesn't seem like Tony had any revelations about himself that he hasn't had in the past, or even earlier in this run in some ways.

Korvac coming back and saying he decimated The Living Tribunal and the In-Betweener was just absurd if that is in fact the case and it's not some specter of Tony's power cosmic coming back to haunt him like some ersatz Jacob Marley. I mean Korvac was originally empowered by sapping a some knowledge from Galactus' world ship, this arc made it seem more like he and Tony just drained some energy in general from the ship; if part of the energy from Galactus' main ship can empower two entities to be able to defeat or destroy two abstract entities of the highest order, then that should make Galactus himself far and away the most powerful entity in Marvel, when he has never been portrayed as such at all. Heck, though it was retconned in a way Doom drained the totality of the ship's energy way back in Secret Wars, which made him as powerful as The Beyonder, but then later on The Beyonder became a much lesser character after those previously mentioned retcons. I don't think Marvel's editors realize that playing so loose with continuity from the Quesada era to now has taken so much weight from stories both past and present and everything becomes a jumbled mess. When anything goes, nothing really matters (we've seen such an impact from the constant deaths and resurrections of characters). I know this is a negligible nitpick for many, but I feel that Marvel has really been really taking away all impact from the greater cosmic/mystic-magic scene in the past year or so, there's no weight in the stakes at that scope anymore. The Infinity Gems/Stones, Celestials, and Living Tribunal lost much of their weight as something grand in the cosmic scheme years back (other characters like Galactus, Mephisto, and Dormammu lost something much earlier), but now even Chthon, Shuma Gorath, and The Adversary have become easily dispatched "entities of the week" this past year. I could easily see some writer bringing in what would be the last remaining Beyonders only for them to be destroyed by Valkyrie or something, which then makes Time Runs Out/Secret Wars look like a joke.

Sorry about the rant, I am just frustrated with what Marvel has been doing lately on this front.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    Of course you can talk about it here and what don't you like about the mini series? I thought it's been pretty good.
    It focuses far more on a generic OC who comes across pretty poorly and leaves the heroes kicking dirt frequently, whilst ending on a loose note.

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw Vigilante View Post
    I was really enjoying this arc until these past two issues. I felt like they took all these interesting co-stars and guest stars and just made them fodder, both in combat (especially Doom and the Surfer, both of whom have felled greater gods than Starkorvac, heck Gargoyle and Hellcat were Defenders members who faced mystical and cosmic deities as well way back when J.M. DeMatteis wrote that book) and they became more two dimensional ways to move Tony's story ahead aside from Hellcat (so storyline fodder). I was really enjoying this makeshift team more than Tony and his journey at times (it'd be nice to see them revived as a new Defenders team actually). I mean did anyone expect to really enjoy Frog Man in this arc as much as they have (heck Stilt Man earlier in the run was interesting as well), that's the sign of an interesting team dynamic and solid writing; but that just sort of felt thrown in the trash these past two issues. I realize it's Tony's comic, but the arc felt about more than just Tony himself. Hellcat at least was still a solid part of the story.

Tony giving up his power cosmic felt too easily resolved this latest issue after all of the rest of the storyline was paced slower to tell a more in-depth story, it doesn't seem like Tony had any revelations about himself that he hasn't had in the past, or even earlier in this run in some ways.

Korvac coming back and saying he decimated The Living Tribunal and the In-Betweener was just absurd if that is in fact the case and it's not some specter of Tony's power cosmic coming back to haunt him like some ersatz Jacob Marley. I mean Korvac was originally empowered by sapping a some knowledge from Galactus' world ship, this arc made it seem more like he and Tony just drained some energy in general from the ship; if part of the energy from Galactus' main ship can empower two entities to be able to defeat or destroy two abstract entities of the highest order, then that should make Galactus himself far and away the most powerful entity in Marvel, when he has never been portrayed as such at all. Heck, though it was retconned in a way Doom drained the totality of the ship's energy way back in Secret Wars, which made him as powerful as The Beyonder, but then later on The Beyonder became a much lesser character after those previously mentioned retcons. I don't think Marvel's editors realize that playing so loose with continuity from the Quesada era to now has taken so much weight from stories both past and present and everything becomes a jumbled mess. When anything goes, nothing really matters (we've seen such an impact from the constant deaths and resurrections of characters). I know this is a negligible nitpick for many, but I feel that Marvel has really been really taking away all impact from the greater cosmic/mystic-magic scene in the past year or so, there's no weight in the stakes at that scope anymore. The Infinity Gems/Stones, Celestials, and Living Tribunal lost much of their weight as something grand in the cosmic scheme years back (other characters like Galactus, Mephisto, and Dormammu lost something much earlier), but now even Chthon, Shuma Gorath, and The Adversary have become easily dispatched "entities of the week" this past year. I could easily see some writer bringing in what would be the last remaining Beyonders only for them to be destroyed by Valkyrie or something, which then makes Time Runs Out/Secret Wars look like a joke.

Sorry about the rant, I am just frustrated with what Marvel has been doing lately on this front.
    Except those cosmics always behaved very passively. Stark is brilliant and aggressive. He doesn't just stand there like an idiot while you drain the power out of him.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Who (else) has read today's issue?
    Man that ending. The Iron God arc has really given us a lot of memorable moments and endings. My favorites have been "Good morning", the Alien in the bar dying as he recalls Tony and Korvac's fight, and now this issue. Doctor Doom's involvement was a good stinger as well, but Doom felt kind of useless here. That's okay, not everything in a story can be a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    Man that ending. The Iron God arc has really given us a lot of memorable moments and endings. My favorites have been "Good morning", the Alien in the bar dying as he recalls Tony and Korvac's fight, and now this issue. Doctor Doom's involvement was a good stinger as well, but Doom felt kind of useless here. That's okay, not everything in a story can be a winner.
    Nice to see Doom get sucker punched ngl, too often writers kowtow to "Doom is awesome". In this case Victor got cocky and died for it.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    It focuses far more on a generic OC who comes across pretty poorly and leaves the heroes kicking dirt frequently, whilst ending on a loose note.

I'll have to read the last issue for the other parts, but I do agree with you that if I had to gripe about it that I didn't want them to focus so much on Eden as well.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Damn does this mean I won’t be seeing Frog-Man anymore? I was starting to like this rag tag bunch. I wish Tony would have brought back Avro-X. Chainsaw Vigilante is right about using these characters as fodder.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    Damn does this mean I won’t be seeing Frog-Man anymore? I was starting to like this rag tag bunch. I wish Tony would have brought back Avro-X. Chainsaw Vigilante is right about using these characters as fodder.
    No, don't worry, Tony brought back Frog-Man, too.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    No, don't worry, Tony brought back Frog-Man, too.
    Yeah but it looked like they all walked away pissed off at him. Like they were leaving for good and not ever coming back.

This is a really good article about Tony and addiction. As an addict myself I can relate. This is one of the many reasons why he’s my idol. https://www.cbr.com/iron-man-tony-addiction/
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 03-24-2022 at 09:32 PM.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    Yeah but it looked like they all walked away pissed off at him. Like they were leaving for good and not ever coming back.
    Understandably so, but still pretty sad.

This is a really good article about Tony and addiction. As an addict myself I can relate. This is why he’s my idol. https://www.cbr.com/iron-man-tony-addiction/
    Thanks for sharing this. Very good insights there.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I'll have to read the last issue for the other parts, but I do agree with you that if I had to gripe about it that I didn't want them to focus so much on Eden as well.
    I wouldn't even care if she was particularly original but "Evil Spurned lover of Tony Stark" has been a fossil of a storyline for years now, whilst "Superheroes disrupt the world, who watches the watchmen?" is about the least big-brain take you can have since it's been pounded into atomic dust.

Oh and her "Hydra Supreme" outfit is pretty bad. It's just red versions of Spider-foe equipment, neither particularly interesting or Hydra themed.

Nice to see Doom get sucker punched ngl, too often writers kowtow to "Doom is awesome". In this case Victor got cocky and died for it.
    I totally agree with you on this. I'm glad Tony stopped Doom from taking his powers away. Doom always does that and of course some writer will come along and say don't worry it was only it a Doombot lol.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 03-25-2022 at 03:50 AM.

54C832D9-B53B-4E95-9F27-1FCD968BB920.jpg162B482E-65CD-4694-BE45-D79C09EFFD57.jpg Got this in the mail off of eBay. From Tales of Suspense #48. The first red and gold armor. The one that started what all after would be based on. The lead figurine also came with a special edition magazine as you can see in the pics.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 03-25-2022 at 03:40 PM.

I wouldn't even care if she was particularly original but "Evil Spurned lover of Tony Stark" has been a fossil of a storyline for years now, whilst "Superheroes disrupt the world, who watches the watchmen?" is about the least big-brain take you can have since it's been pounded into atomic dust.

Oh and her "Hydra Supreme" outfit is pretty bad. It's just red versions of Spider-foe equipment, neither particularly interesting or Hydra themed.
    Yeah - a repainted Goblin Glider and set of Doctor Octopus tentacles? Why is a Captain America rogue using Spider-Man villain technology?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman