Page 63 of 95 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773 ... LastLast

Even if he's talented, his preview tells me that he is just going to do his take on an incredibly stale formula. Is it possible that he'll have some snappy dialogue and fun action scenes that make his take on this incredibly stale, tired formula a bit better than it should be? Sure, I guess. But I won't be around to see it, because I'm sick of this formula. I don't like the idea that Stark is an alcoholism-incarnate character whose addictive tendencies and narcissism costs him inanimate objects like money and drives his friends away until he learns his lesson for the umpteenth time. And that's the formula it sounds like he is just doing his take on.

I prefer movie Stark: a mad scientist in a flying tank who suffers from PTSD from the deaths of many people he cares about, and the fear that the people he currently cares about will die and it will be his fault. A character who, above all else, doesn't want the people he loves to die. A character whose PTSD fuels everything he does, from becoming Iron Man to creating Ultron to signing the Sokovia Accords to sacrificing his life using the Infinity Gauntlet. All wildly different acts, yet all fueled by his PTSD and obsession with keeping the people he loves alive. THAT'S the formula I've grown to love. And that's the formula the comics clearly have no interest in adopting.

The formula the comics are obsessed with is, Stark is alcoholism-incarnate, and his addictive personality and narcissism constantly makes him friendless and broke, until he learns his lesson again. It wasn't an interesting formula the first time, and it's now incredibly stale. So here's Duggan and all signs point to him just doing his personal variation on this stale, stale formula.

In short, even if Duggan has the talent to not be a hack, he has already declared his intention to be a hack for the duration of his run. He's just here to hack out his variation on this formula.
    Last edited by MichaelC; 08-21-2022 at 01:41 PM.

I just want to see Iron Man be a hero and do Iron Man stuff.

Maybe show he can still run a company.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Well, considering Duggan wrote Firestar in this week X-Men issue "forgetting" that she had been a member of the X-Men before, it's quite likely he'll either pretend all these stories in which Tony lost everything never happened or he just hasn't read them. Either way, it's impossible to be optimistic.
    To tell the truth does anyone remember all the members of the X-Men? Didn't she debut in a Spider-Man cartoon? I think she has closer ties to the Spider-Man side of comics.

I thought Duggan's Savage Avengers run was pretty entertaining so I am willing to try this out.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    To tell the truth does anyone remember all the members of the X-Men? Didn't she debut in a Spider-Man cartoon? I think she has closer ties to the Spider-Man side of comics.
    If you're writing X-men, and you're adding someone to the team, you damn better remember said character has been there before.

Yeah, Firestar did indeed debut in Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends, but then she was in X-Men (not on the team though, she was one of Emma's students when she was running a rival school), then New Warriors, Avengers, Young Allies, and then an X-Men team. She's a nomad, not actually connected to any one thing more then others (though New Warriors did end up becoming a Spider office book). Would it kill Duggan to at least check the wiki?
    Last edited by Digifiend; 08-24-2022 at 03:49 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    If you're writing X-men, and you're adding someone to the team, you damn better remember said character has been there before.
    Yeah, although Amazing X-Men probably slipped by a few people.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, Firestar did indeed debut in Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends, but then she was in X-Men (not on the team though, she was one of Emma's students when she was running a rival school), then New Warriors, Avengers, Young Allies, and then an X-Men team. She's a nomad, not actually connected to any one thing more then others (though New Warriors did end up becoming a Spider office book). Would it kill Duggan to at least check the wiki?
    I know it's not 616, but I would like to add that Firestar was a member of the X-Men on "Spider-Man & His Amazing Friends"

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, although Amazing X-Men probably slipped by a few people.
    Yeah, but Duggan is a professional writer, that was actually already writing for Marvel at the time IIRC.

It doesn't leave me optimistic he won't ignore continuity and characterization as he sees fit and pretending everything he wrote is new, even if it isn't.

BANNED

According to rumours from ComicsByPerch, Nick Spencer is in talks with Marvel to return and apparently he'd like to do something with Tony.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    According to rumours from ComicsByPerch, Nick Spencer is in talks with Marvel to return and apparently he'd like to do something with Tony.
    Would be interesting. He's already dabbled in Iron Man before with Iron Man 2.0 a decade or so ago, albeit starring Rhodey/War Machine instead of Tony and having him test out a stealth-focused Iron Man armor.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Duggan so completely screwed up at the starting line that people are already talking about who will replace him.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Would be interesting. He's already dabbled in Iron Man before with Iron Man 2.0 a decade or so ago, albeit starring Rhodey/War Machine instead of Tony and having him test out a stealth-focused Iron Man armor.
    That was a good series until they made it crossover with Fear Itself.. The Who is Palmer Addley arc that started it off had it off to a very good start.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

What are the best Iron Man runs aside from the famous stories Armor Wars, Devil in the Bottle, and Extremis?

The Knaufs run was outstanding.

The majority might not agree, but I've always liked the run Kurt Busiek had during Heroes Return (T_T)