Page 74 of 95 FirstFirst ... 246470717273747576777884 ... LastLast
Results 1,096 to 1,110 of 1422
    Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Cantwell's run is what 24-25 issues?

Yeah you can easily get 2 deluxe editions or 1 entire omnibus out of that.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Cantwell's run is what 24-25 issues?

Yeah you can easily get 2 deluxe editions or 1 entire omnibus out of that.
    No annuals? Or just not annuals by Cantwell?
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    I'm hoping for an Omnibus too. Dan Slott's Iron Man run got one. I don't see why Cantwell’s shouldn't either.
    Well after the pattern established by Bendis, Duggan, and Cates, Marvel chose NOT to put Ewing's GotG run in OHC, so who can say?

BANNED
    http://www.fantomas-lives.com/fanto47.htm

Hello Shellhead fans. I am just getting back into comics after a hiatus of some 10 years. I am doing so with mail subscriptions of titles (I therefore will be out of step with weekly comics so pardon me) that have remained dear to my heart and seem to have stood the test of time by finding new ways to approach the classic concepts without reinventing or reimagining the character. That would be Iron Man and the FF and I was hoping for Dr. Stange or Thor to make a proper come back but they both seem way off. Honestly, I grew up on a diet of Spider-man, FF, X-men and Avengers. I read a lot of Marvel all around but dropped titles when the money or the run seemed to pass away. Iron man for sure was one such title that died on the vine with late Denny O'Neil which I regret to this day as I had to play catch-up with years later. In the process I went way back on the character and reading up when Civil War was kicking off to get a better picture on all the "out of character" that was being said to trash and yet idolize a character they only had a vague idea about.

Any who - that said I have serious gaps about the recent past and it seems the title itself has been on and off for the past decade so please feel free to catch me up on the return of Iron Man as I do the same. Looking forward to your views and reviews on this and other runs. It seems I have come on at a juncture in creative teams and it sounds like a bit worry about the stories ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    No annuals? Or just not annuals by Cantwell?
    There is one Annual by Cantwell.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Anyone happen to read Iron Man #24 today and want to give spoilers?
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

spoilers:
    Riri comes across as the far more interesting character in this issue. She actually feels like a mad scientist in a flying tank, as opposed to Stark, who just comes across as a stick in the mud.

That's the problem with making the book all about Stark learning humility: the moment the arc is complete, Stark becomes boring and preachy. Like some vegan who won't shut up about veganism. Only in Stark's case, he becomes all about humility, crushing any scientific daring around him, insisting everyone reject the sin of hubris and join him on his knees in the Church of Humility.

Don't do that daring scientific research Riri; join me in quiet groundedness as we celebrate our lack of ego by listening to NPR and eating cucumbers and cottage cheese on soggy whitebread and then move on to some blissful stamp collecting.

The rings are given yet another power, which nauseates me. They were much more interesting back when they were just next level versions of a ninja's smoke bombs and caltrops and bolas and sand tossed in the eyes.

I did like that Riri is performing daring scientific research in an effort to ultimately save lives. I just would have preferred that that daring scientific research had been performed on literally anything else.
    end of spoilers

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    spoilers:
    Riri comes across as the far more interesting character in this issue. She actually feels like a mad scientist in a flying tank, as opposed to Stark, who just comes across as a stick in the mud.

That's the problem with making the book all about Stark learning humility: the moment the arc is complete, Stark becomes boring and preachy. Like some vegan who won't shut up about veganism. Only in Stark's case, he becomes all about humility, crushing any scientific daring around him, insisting everyone reject the sin of hubris and join him on his knees in the Church of Humility.

Don't do that daring scientific research Riri; join me in quiet groundedness as we celebrate our lack of ego by listening to NPR and eating cucumbers and cottage cheese on soggy whitebread and then move on to some blissful stamp collecting.

The rings are given yet another power, which nauseates me. They were much more interesting back when they were just next level versions of a ninja's smoke bombs and caltrops and bolas and sand tossed in the eyes.

I did like that Riri is performing daring scientific research in an effort to ultimately save lives. I just would have preferred that that daring scientific research had been performed on literally anything else.
    end of spoilers
    Thanks for the review and assessment. One more issue to go, the big LGY 650 . . . hopefully Cantwell can stick the landing.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED
    http://www.fantomas-lives.com/fanto47.htm

Indeed, thanks for the block text on the post especially for those of us behind the curve.

Quote Originally Posted by newparisian View Post
    Well after the pattern established by Bendis, Duggan, and Cates, Marvel chose NOT to put Ewing's GotG run in OHC, so who can say?
    I’m hoping they don’t skip over Cantwell like they did those guys. I am beyond impressed with Cantwell’s run. The way he has gotten inside Tony’s psyche is just so well done. Showing how his addiction is always at the forefront. I really wish he was staying on to finish his run completely. I’m not enticed about what Duggan has planned, but Frigeri’s art is stunning.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 10-23-2022 at 01:16 PM.

I’m hoping they don’t skip over Cantwell like the did those guys. I am beyond impressed with Cantwell’s run. The way he has gotten inside Tony’s psyche is just so well done. Showing how his addiction is always at the forefront. I really wish he was staying on to finish his run completely. I’m not enticed about what Duggan has planned, but Frigeri’s art is stunning.
    Cosigned, though he did make it to 25 issues and change, so that's something, I'd think. However, I also wish he'd at least stick around to LGY 700. Ah, well, then. Hoping he does stick the landing with LGY 650.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Cosigned, though he did make it to 25 issues and change, so that's something, I'd think. However, I also wish he'd at least stick around to LGY 700. Ah, well, then. Hoping he does stick the landing with LGY 650.
    Yeah you're right. I don't want to come off unappreciative for what Cantwell has done. Tony became a literal God under Cantwell. We got to see further into Tony's childhood as well. I think he's going to stick the landing in #650. I'm just hoping he gets the page count to finish off his run properly.

Yeah you're right. I don't want to come off unappreciative for what Cantwell has done. Tony became a literal God under Cantwell. We got to see further into Tony's childhood as well. I think he's going to stick the landing in #650. I'm just hoping he gets the page count to finish off his run properly.
    It's cool. There's definitely a lot to appreciate, and I do also hope he gets the number of pages he needs for a solid finale.

Quote Originally Posted by 4theEarth View Post
    Hello Shellhead fans. I am just getting back into comics after a hiatus of some 10 years. I am doing so with mail subscriptions of titles (I therefore will be out of step with weekly comics so pardon me) that have remained dear to my heart and seem to have stood the test of time by finding new ways to approach the classic concepts without reinventing or reimagining the character. That would be Iron Man and the FF and I was hoping for Dr. Stange or Thor to make a proper come back but they both seem way off. Honestly, I grew up on a diet of Spider-man, FF, X-men and Avengers. I read a lot of Marvel all around but dropped titles when the money or the run seemed to pass away. Iron man for sure was one such title that died on the vine with late Denny O'Neil which I regret to this day as I had to play catch-up with years later. In the process I went way back on the character and reading up when Civil War was kicking off to get a better picture on all the "out of character" that was being said to trash and yet idolize a character they only had a vague idea about.

Any who - that said I have serious gaps about the recent past and it seems the title itself has been on and off for the past decade so please feel free to catch me up on the return of Iron Man as I do the same. Looking forward to your views and reviews on this and other runs. It seems I have come on at a juncture in creative teams and it sounds like a bit worry about the stories ahead.
    Hey there, 4! Welcome back into the fold. More the merrier, I think

Shell-head has been through a lot since Civil War. IMHO, the highlights are:

The Fraction-Larocca years (~2009-2013). Best XXI cerntury run we got with Tony, methiks. Starts with a stellar new baddie, then transitions to the classics while cruising through the major marvel arcs: Dark Reign, Siege, Fear Itself. Goes for the juggler each and every arc. Art is crazy consistent, too--this is, to me, Peak Larocca.

The Kieron Gillen years (~2013-2015). A High Sci-Fi take with an acquired taste. Greg Land art--take it or leave it.

Tom Tailor's Superior Iron Man (2015). Short-termed heel turn. Has it's fans--idk, didn't read

The Bendis Years (2015-2018). An artistic showcase. Gives us RIRI and Doc Doom: Iron Man. Starts real strong...anyway

The Slott Years (2018-2020). Another fave! Fun adventures with impeccable art by Valerio Schiti (See the current Judgement Day event! Wow, guy can draw.). First 12 issues are pure joy.

The Cantwell years (2020-2022). A cerebral take with great art by CAFU. Dirtier, down to earth Sci-Fi. Tony in space! Hellcat! Lots to love.

Can't go wrong with any of them imho. Have fun reading, and see ya when Duggan gets started in November

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    Hey there, 4! Welcome back into the fold. More the merrier, I think

Shell-head has been through a lot since Civil War. IMHO, the highlights are:

The Fraction-Larocca years (~2009-2013). Best XXI cerntury run we got with Tony, methiks. Starts with a stellar new baddie, then transitions to the classics while cruising through the major marvel arcs: Dark Reign, Siege, Fear Itself. Goes for the juggler each and every arc. Art is crazy consistent, too--this is, to me, Peak Larocca.

The Kieron Gillen years (~2013-2015). A High Sci-Fi take with an acquired taste. Greg Land art--take it or leave it.

Tom Tailor's Superior Iron Man (2015). Short-termed heel turn. Has it's fans--idk, didn't read

The Bendis Years (2015-2018). An artistic showcase. Gives us RIRI and Doc Doom: Iron Man. Starts real strong...anyway

The Slott Years (2018-2020). Another fave! Fun adventures with impeccable art by Valerio Schiti (See the current Judgement Day event! Wow, guy can draw.). First 12 issues are pure joy.

The Cantwell years (2020-2022). A cerebral take with great art by CAFU. Dirtier, down to earth Sci-Fi. Tony in space! Hellcat! Lots to love.

Can't go wrong with any of them imho. Have fun reading, and see ya when Duggan gets started in November
    If I recall correctly, Superior Iron Man spun out of AXIS, an Avengers/X-Men event spawned from Rick Remender's Uncanny Avengers that saw several heroes and villains get their moral compasses mystically inverted, causing Tony in particular to revert to the man he'd been before he became Iron Man, only with the full Iron Man Armory at his disposal this time. In that sense, I thought it was an intriguing take on what could or might happen to the Marvel Universe if Tony really was the villain a lot of his post-Civil War critics claimed him to be, even if it was undone with no explanation after Secret Wars by Jonathan Hickman.