Page 18 of 35 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast
    Niffleheim

Not necessarily and most supers/heroes are more in line with police officers too so I don't have a problem with it. A vampire nation kind of disputes that supernatural stories can't be written. He might be restricted within vampire lore or threats of creatures with lore that endangers vampires but that won't stop it being supernatural or including monsters.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Some superheroes are, especially traditional spandex ones, but I'd prefer if Blade wasn't Spider-Man he has his own modus operandi that is quite popular across multi-media.

Blade deals with more then just vampires. I don't expect the Vampire nation to last. I like the idea of a vampire nation (also ironic it's in Russia) but not one that is a participating member of the U.N. like the Mutant nation.

Sure vampires face dangers, but they are alpha predators above all else. They've been around forever. They are stronger, faster and wiser then most.

I prefer my vampires to be like Fright Night's or Priest's or Castlevania's. Thye have their own lore and societies, but they don't function like everyday humans
    The J-man

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    he already had that they just changed it from being a hunter to being a policeman.

What they've done know is make him procedural like every other cop show. Whereas before he functioned more like John Wick, Van Hellsing, Vampire Hunter D, Samurai Jack, Solomon Caine, Trevor Belmont, Alucard etc.

Now he's more in line with a police officer. I get that Law and Order is more relatable and makes him simpler to write for people who can't write supernatural stories in general, but not everything needs ot be the same. It also means his villains will be more human and nature and less monstros
    What did you think about the Death of Dr. Strange one-shot? Thing that was a good example of how the vampire state still allows him to fight with various types of enemies.

I think its interesting how Marvel is using geopolitics to kind of re-segregate their corners/genres. I doubt we're going to be seeing law and order type stories though. Even this one-shot is described more as political intrigue. I think they'll be closer to game of thrones type situations. Essentially Dracula continuing to try and grow his nation's power and situating his nation between growth and a larger threat, making Blade choose between allowing the vampire state to thrive or some vague larger threat.

Also have a feeling we're not going to see much of Blade with the Avengers anymore. Aaron has him stationed at the vampire state, but looks like they'll use that younger version of him from the Secret Invaders for the last story.
    Last edited by Tracks; 07-24-2022 at 10:28 AM.

Mighty Member

*double post*

Quote Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
    What did you think about the Death of Dr. Strange one-shot? Thing that was a good example of how the vampire state still allows him to fight with various types of enemies.

Also have a feeling we're not going to see much of Blade with the Avengers anymore. Aaron has him stationed at the vampire state, but looks like they'll use that younger version of him from the Secret Invaders for the last story.

It was fine for what it is if you can believe the premiss. The world accepting a vampire nation. Blade willingly goes there and isn't attacked. Ignoring the set up it was a nice story, but my only complaint was the scenario everything after that is fine.

Aaron is the father of this plot line, so I'm expecting him to end it. Dracula should still have some grand master plan for everything.

There were elements of that story that worked for me and some that didn't. Having Blade and Dracula team up temporarily against a threat can lead to interesting stories, but it should be a short-lived alliance. Like He-Man working with Skeletor or Batman with the Joker etc.

Again I like the concept of a vampire nation. Look at Castlevania or American vampire. I love exploring these supernatural and mystical societies and seeing how the denizens of darkness move about.

I guess my main gripe is vampires allowing themselves to be policed by their sworn enemy. It makes them far less of a threat that they would tolerate this. Also given Blade's history of losing his mother, mentor and all his friends to vampires.

I get Tru Blood vibes from this plot. The HBO show where vampires tried to mainstream, and it ultimately failed because the older vampires couldn't tolerate drinking synthetic Blood and listening to humans. Still, that was a good show and an interesting concept, not sure it works with a vampire hunter tho.

Again I'm cool with diversity among vampires, different sects, and species. I prefer it. Like that peaceful sect of Asian vampires. I'm not feeling the moon vampires as much, but it is what it is. Wil see what happens
    The J-man

Mighty Member

It was fine for what it is if you can believe the premiss. The world accepting a vampire nation. Blade willingly goes there and isn't attacked. Ignoring the set up it was a nice story, but my only complaint was the scenario everything after that is fine.

Aaron is the father of this plot line, so I'm expecting him to end it. Dracula should still have some grand master plan for everything.

There were elements of that story that worked for me and some that didn't. Having Blade and Dracula team up temporarily against a threat can lead to interesting stories, but it should be a short-lived alliance. Like He-Man working with Skeletor or Batman with the Joker etc.

Again I like the concept of a vampire nation. Look at Castlevania or American vampire. I love exploring these supernatural and mystical societies and seeing how the denizens of darkness move about.

I guess my main gripe is vampires allowing themselves to be policed by their sworn enemy. It makes them far less of a threat that they would tolerate this. Also given Blade's history of losing his mother, mentor and all his friends to vampires.

I get Tru Blood vibes from this plot. The HBO show where vampires tried to mainstream, and it ultimately failed because the older vampires couldn't tolerate drinking synthetic Blood and listening to humans. Still, that was a good show and an interesting concept, not sure it works with a vampire hunter tho.

Again I'm cool with diversity among vampires, different sects, and species. I prefer it. Like that peaceful sect of Asian vampires. I'm not feeling the moon vampires as much, but it is what it is. Wil see what happens
    I agree with you, and I'm hoping the vampire state grows in that direction. Within the context of the marvel universe, the vampire nation isn't nearly as strong as it needs to be for those plots to work.

Also I think the editorial points for Blade being in the Avengers was probably to set him up in the vampire state and keep him relevant. Seems like Aaron is more interested in ending this multiversal plot. The only dangling thread he has with Blade is Dracula collaborating with Mephisto, and Blade, for some reason, being the only one who could remember the previous world clearly. Have a feeling they'll tie that up in a few panels.

Mighty Member

Blade's in the recent issue of Ghost Rider in some motor cycle race to hell. Doesn't do much.

not gonna lie a little gutted about this

'John Wick' Director Chad Stahelski Asked Marvel If He Could Direct 'Blade' Reboot
    But Kevin Feige favored someone else.
    https://hypebeast.com/2022/8/marvel-...ge-discussions

Marvel Studios Turned Down John Wick Director's Offer to Reboot Blade
    https://thedirect.com/article/marvel...os-blade-offer
    The J-man

Mighty Member

I'm honestly not mad at it. Marvel has fairly good action people around to help out. I can't think of a movie with underwhelming action. But with how phase 4 has been received, I feel like we needed someone to really elevate the story and I think Tariq is just so much more of a storyteller. Chad probably would have made a great action movie, but I feel like today people are going to want a bit more from the film.

the story should come down to the script/screenplay and the writer.

I'm a big fan of the lighting and ambiance of the first two John Wicks. The third one was a little much and the series has kind of jumped the shark a little bit. But especially for a Blade film, it would be nice to see a Marvel movie that didn't look like every other Marvel film visually. I just finished Sandman on Netflix and those visuals were fantastic.

I honestly, don't know what direction they will take Blade in. Bassam Tariq's work has been in documentaries and shorts. Mogul Mowgli is a character drama.

As for action, I will personally be holding Blade to a higher standard of action because of the precedent set in his original movies. Some MCU movies have good choreography, but I will be extremely disappointed if it's on the level of Captain America: The First Avenger, Thor, Captain Marvel, Antman, or Dr. Strange.
    The J-man

Just to clarify doesn’t mean I’m concerned just that I don’t know what to expect. I have more trust in Kevin Feige then most on here, but I don’t have a sense of which direction they will take Blade
    The J-man

Mighty Member

the story should come down to the script/screenplay and the writer.

I'm a big fan of the lighting and ambiance of the first two John Wicks. The third one was a little much and the series has kind of jumped the shark a little bit. But especially for a Blade film, it would be nice to see a Marvel movie that didn't look like every other Marvel film visually. I just finished Sandman on Netflix and those visuals were fantastic.

I honestly, don't know what direction they will take Blade in. Bassam Tariq's work has been in documentaries and shorts. Mogul Mowgli is a character drama.

As for action, I will personally be holding Blade to a higher standard of action because of the precedent set in his original movies. Some MCU movies have good choreography, but I will be extremely disappointed if it's on the level of Captain America: The First Avenger, Thor, Captain Marvel, Antman, or Dr. Strange.
    You're right, but this is pretty interesting because it seems like from jump Mahershala, Tariq, and Stacy have been meeting consistently to develop the plot and direction. I think they'll be able to add some of the juice that most of Blade's stories have been missing. I'd be more wary about people who missed the subtle cultural themes of the original and just want to try and reinvent the action. I think that's a lot of what has hurt the character in the comics.

You're right, but this is pretty interesting because it seems like from jump Mahershala, Tariq, and Stacy have been meeting consistently to develop the plot and direction. I think they'll be able to add some of the juice that most of Blade's stories have been missing. I'd be more wary about people who missed the subtle cultural themes of the original and just want to try and reinvent the action. I think that's a lot of what has hurt the character in the comics.
    now this is a very good point
    The J-man

Mighty Member

not gonna lie a little gutted about this

'John Wick' Director Chad Stahelski Asked Marvel If He Could Direct 'Blade' Reboot
    But Kevin Feige favored someone else.
    https://hypebeast.com/2022/8/marvel-...ge-discussions

Marvel Studios Turned Down John Wick Director's Offer to Reboot Blade
    https://thedirect.com/article/marvel...os-blade-offer
    What the eff is wrong with Feige?!?

Whoever he picks better be at least as good as Stahelski at the very least.

Mighty Member

Fine point, agreed and co-signed!