Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    The Vampire State Marvel is trying just doesn't work for me. The Mutant Nation works because mutants are unique. Marvel vampires are basic they are basically just zombies with pointy ears. The problem is if Marvel vampires were interesting...then they wouldn't need to do this. The only interesting vampire is Dracula and this whole storyline feels...beneath the character. Blade was great in Avengers, one of the only bright spots in an otherwise terrible run and him getting pulled off a high profile book to take place in this is...disheartening.

I agree they're not consistent, but because of that there really are a few interesting variations. I didn't like Gischler's x-men story but I appreciated that he outlined all the different sects. The 2004 Tomb of Dracula mini did some of that work too.

I also disagree that this is beneath Dracula. It's lowkey one he's been trying to do plot wise for the last 20 years. In curse of the mutants, Xarus was trying to make a play for California to create a unified vampire nation, in Vampire State in MI:13, he tried to take over the UK. This is the first time his plans hasn't utterly failed, and now we're seeing he also has some deal with Mephisto too. I think this is probably the most powerful we've seen Dracula in Marvel.

It is looking very unlikely that Blade will appear in Doctor Strange 2, but rumor has it Marvel has cast Vampire by Night for a Disney+ Halloween special which should tie into Blade on some level.

I'm not sure about Moon Knight yet, but that trailer drops tomorrow. It does look like it's a mix of the OG Moon Knight and the modern hero
    The J-man

All-New Member

nice comic boook

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    The Vampire State Marvel is trying just doesn't work for me. The Mutant Nation works because mutants are unique. Marvel vampires are basic they are basically just zombies with pointy ears. The problem is if Marvel vampires were interesting...then they wouldn't need to do this. The only interesting vampire is Dracula and this whole storyline feels...beneath the character. Blade was great in Avengers, one of the only bright spots in an otherwise terrible run and him getting pulled off a high profile book to take place in this is...disheartening.
    Basic? Zombies? Marvel vampires have as many powers as your average team of X-Men. They have more or less the combined powers of Storm, Mesmero, Shadowcat, Sabretooth, and Vermin. They suffer a lot of PIS, but they are far from basic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    All the Vampire strengths, none of their weaknesses
    That's only true in the movies.
    Last edited by MichaelC; 01-16-2022 at 07:53 AM.

Mighty Member

What do you mean it's only in the movies?

Quote Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
    What do you mean it's only in the movies?
    Can Blade control the weather? Can Blade turn to mist? Can Blade hypnotize people? Can Blade summon millions of animals to skin people alive?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Can Blade control the weather? Can Blade turn to mist? Can Blade hypnotize people? Can Blade summon millions of animals to skin people alive?
    Blade has hypnotized people before.

Also you are taking that quote far too literally lol. It’s a slogan just like Wolverines.

Not every vampire can turn into mist. Honestly it’s kind of subjective depending on the writer bc marvel editorial doesn’t keep to anything firm regarding vampires. There are different species of vampires

Lastly, Blade embraces his humanity and chooses not to explore or utilize other dark gifts he may have. That’s intrinsic to the character now, just as the fact that he doesn’t feed on people.
    The J-man

Hey all. I’ve been a fan of Blade since the Wesley Snipes movies, but he’s always seemed out of place in the comics. Seeing him live in a world with Mutants, Avengers, superheroes in general, etc. always seemed to take away from what Blade and Vampires could be. In my opinion Blade needs to exist in a parallel universe with no mutants or other typical superheroes, but which is run in large part by vampires and other dark powers. Maybe that’s what’s already being talked about with a vampire state?

This separate universe’s Earth could be really dark, with heavy horror and gothic, yet modern, vibes. I think several other characters would fit in well here, such as Ghost Rider and the Midnight Sons. Additionally, characters like Dr. Strange who know about parallel universes could traverse to and from Earth 616 to this dark Earth, addressing threats in each universe. Once in a while you could have crazy events where heroes travelled to the other Earth (think of the Avengers having to team up with the Midnight Sons to close some portal that is creating a gateway between the two worlds, or just simply having Wolverine be teleported to Blade’s world by some supervillain for one story arc), but in general I think each world should function on it’s own. I think this would enrich Blade’s stories by letting him live to his full potential, fighting in a world that is so heavily vampire focused.

I hope the MCU does something like this with the multiverse, and then hopefully the comics adopt the idea. How does that sound to you guys?

Mighty Member

I agree to an extent but mostly because marvel doesn't take full advantage of their vampires. Marvel vampires should be among the strongest in fiction because they have centuries of experience to learn magic, technology, whatever else in marvel , but they largely don't. I think the vampire state is a real opportunity to build this all up. Loved what they did with vampire in Castlevania, for instance.

But more than that, I think Blade has a lot of great potential when they move him past just vampire. Spirits of Vengeance, Strikeforce, Avengers, and Damnation showed how many cool stories can be written with Blade as a general Supernatural hunter who specializes in vampires.

Quote Originally Posted by Cable2X View Post
    Hey all. I’ve been a fan of Blade since the Wesley Snipes movies, but he’s always seemed out of place in the comics. Seeing him live in a world with Mutants, Avengers, superheroes in general, etc. always seemed to take away from what Blade and Vampires could be. In my opinion Blade needs to exist in a parallel universe with no mutants or other typical superheroes, but which is run in large part by vampires and other dark powers. Maybe that’s what’s already being talked about with a vampire state?

This separate universe’s Earth could be really dark, with heavy horror and gothic, yet modern, vibes. I think several other characters would fit in well here, such as Ghost Rider and the Midnight Sons. Additionally, characters like Dr. Strange who know about parallel universes could traverse to and from Earth 616 to this dark Earth, addressing threats in each universe. Once in a while you could have crazy events where heroes travelled to the other Earth (think of the Avengers having to team up with the Midnight Sons to close some portal that is creating a gateway between the two worlds, or just simply having Wolverine be teleported to Blade’s world by some supervillain for one story arc), but in general I think each world should function on it’s own. I think this would enrich Blade’s stories by letting him live to his full potential, fighting in a world that is so heavily vampire focused.

I hope the MCU does something like this with the multiverse, and then hopefully the comics adopt the idea. How does that sound to you guys?
    Hey, hey, welcome.

If that's what it takes to get Marvel to write more quality Blade stories, part of me wouldn't mind.

I think that misses the point though. You can always do an Elseworld or alternate universe Blade adventure. Marvel's done this with other heroes before. So, while I see the logic, and that's worked in the past, you can make the same argument for Punisher and a few other heroes. However, part of the fun for them being in the same universe as all the heroes and villains is that they get to interact. That's part of the promise of Marvel to me. In theory, you could give Blade a series along the lines you are talking about and have him work in his corner as he's been doing, like the X-men or other characters that co-exist in the Marvel Universe. Solo Occult hero characters seem like they are off alone more often than not anyway.

For the new movie, I trust Kevin Feige. The MCU usually brings in great writers and writer rooms. I don't think the new film will copy the originals, so I'm excited and hopeful to see what they turn out.

Lastly, Blade has done well in shared universes in videogames and animation, which tells me it's been a writer and editorial problem historically.
    The J-man

Does anyone notice how Screen Rant has been writing tons of Blade articles for several months now? Most are fluff, but they always come up when you search recent Blade news.
    The J-man

possible supporting cast character descriptions leaked

https://www.joblo.com/blade-casting-call-characters/

“Abid” is described as a burly, South Asian character who has taken a vow of silence after a turbulent life.

“Huntley”, described as a man, 40-60,

“Faiza”, a French-speaking North African female between 20 and 40
    Taj was indeed a burly, South Asian character who was first introduced in Tomb of Dracula #3, who did not speak; however, in the comics, he didn’t speak because he had his throat ripped out by vampires, so a slight change there. Taj, along with Rachel van Helsing, the granddaughter of great vampire hunter Abraham van Helsing, worked with Quincy Harker to hunt down the world’s oldest vampire threat, Dracula. Harker, the son of Jonathan and Mina Harker from Bram Stoker’s Dracula, eventually worked with Frank Drake, a descendant of Dracula, and Blade to take on the vampire nation.
    "If Taj Nital, Quincy Harker, and Rachel van Helsing are indeed part of the story, it sounds like the new Blade movie could be building up to a confrontation with Dracula."
    The J-man

I’m hoping Blade appears in Moon Knight to get his story started.

Quote Originally Posted by Cable2X View Post
    I’m hoping Blade appears in Moon Knight to get his story started.
    I don't think Blade's far enough along in production that they'd want to give him a cameo. Marvel hasn't finalized his look or supporting cast yet. That scene in Eternals was oh so brief and just his voice for a reason. Mahershala spoke about it being a point of contention because he didn't even have the voice of Blade down yet. But will see how things go. There is a rumor that they are making Moon Knight a Midnight Son.

https://www.inverse.com/entertainmen...superhero-team

Outside of Doctor Strange: Damnation and that Avengers arc where Moon Knight steals everyone's magic powers, have Blade and Moon Knight ever interacted? I think those are the only two instances. I don't believe Blade and Moon Knight were ever face to face with Moon Knight in the Avengers arc. However, they did fight side by side with one another in the Doctor Strange storyline. Moon Knight even tried to lift Mjolnir off of Blade.

(Blade's pose is still weird in this cover)
    Last edited by Jabare; 01-20-2022 at 05:56 AM.
    The J-man

Mighty Member

Yep those are the only two times, I have a feeling we might get another Eternals style reveal...maybe just his voice recruiting him to the same team as Black Knight, then I feel like we'll get a few other heroes introduced in his actual movie. You can never trust rumors, but the most consistent rmors about Blade suggest he's gonna introduce several other supernatural heroes.

I have a feeling the Midnight Sons are going to be a combination of the original team, MI:13, and the new team. The biggest issue with them is its always been a largely male dominated team. Although Wanda is a hero, I have a feeling she'll be the villain for them at least the first time (depending on how Strange's movie goes). :

1. Blade
    2. Moon Knight
    3. Black Knight
    4. Elsa Bloodstone
    5. Werewolf by Night and/or Vampire by Night?
    6. Fan-favorite vampire hunter from Blade (one of the Van Helsings?)

Ghost Rider is going to join them down the line, but I don't think they'd want to outshine Blade in his movie just yet. I also have a feeling they're going to want to mix in whichever character from Blade fans like, so many one or two of Quincy Harker's vampire hunters. Strange is an odd one because he's so powerful, but he's technically not sorcerer supreme anymore, so maybe he's involved too.

Also one of my pet peeves, it people *always* lump Punisher in with this team because of some art that went viral even though he's never been on the team, and he's worked with the Night Stalkers once, but even that was more of an accident.
    Last edited by Tracks; 01-20-2022 at 08:29 AM.