Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
The Vampire State Marvel is trying just doesn't work for me. The Mutant Nation works because mutants are unique. Marvel vampires are basic they are basically just zombies with pointy ears. The problem is if Marvel vampires were interesting...then they wouldn't need to do this. The only interesting vampire is Dracula and this whole storyline feels...beneath the character. Blade was great in Avengers, one of the only bright spots in an otherwise terrible run and him getting pulled off a high profile book to take place in this is...disheartening.

I agree they're not consistent, but because of that there really are a few interesting variations. I didn't like Gischler's x-men story but I appreciated that he outlined all the different sects. The 2004 Tomb of Dracula mini did some of that work too.

I also disagree that this is beneath Dracula. It's lowkey one he's been trying to do plot wise for the last 20 years. In curse of the mutants, Xarus was trying to make a play for California to create a unified vampire nation, in Vampire State in MI:13, he tried to take over the UK. This is the first time his plans hasn't utterly failed, and now we're seeing he also has some deal with Mephisto too. I think this is probably the most powerful we've seen Dracula in Marvel.