Page 1 of 35 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Blade- The Legendary Daywalker Appreciation 2022

All the Vampire strengths, none of their weaknesses

The Grandfather of the modern Marvel superhero movie. Inspiration for the Matrix.

From Tomb of Dracula to the Matrix

Modern origin
    Eric Brook's mother was attacked and killed by a vampire while pregnant with him. Blade soon found that he was blessed or cursed with being part vampire. A dhampir. He has their quickness, strength, agility, healing, but is unaffected by sunlight or their other weaknesses (garlic, silver, etc.). Plus he is immune to the venom of his blood-sucking brethren.

Blade has trained over the decades in ways to combat the supernatural in defense of mankind. He can match any nosferatu in a way no human ever could. He is the Legendary Daywalker. All their strengths, none of their weaknesses.

recommendations: (tell me what I forgot and I'll update the list)

Deadpool: Dracula's Gauntlet - Blade is a secondary character in this story but he really shines and its just such a fun creative story. Marvel at its best.

Blade: Black & White Trade Paper Back - this does a great job (probably the best) of collecting Blade's stories from the 70s.

Nightstalkers- after Tomb of Dracula probably the most iconic Blade run of comic stories.

Avengers (2018) #14 - #47- Blade is officially an Avenger and there is a cool vampire arc for a few issues

Honorable mention to Tomb of Dracula - I actually don't recommend this as strongly, I think it is collected in Blade: Black & White, but maybe not entirely. Just to see Blade's real comic origins and help fill in the blanks before Nightstalkers. Not as essential as some make it out to be imo. You can infer enough by context and other things, but if you want check it out.

Other fun Blade stories-

Spirits of Vengeance- team up with Ghost Rider, Satana and Hellstrom. It's a quick, but fun story.

Mighty Avengers Vol. 2 (2013-2014)- Trust me pick up this comic it is a lot of fun.

Captain Britain & The MI:13 - this was decent. Blade joins the cast in issue #5. He's got a few spotlight issues but not really the main focus of this story.

Midnight Suns Unlimited - I don't remember this story as well. I think he has a cool moment against Ghost Rider. Check with Tracks or Snoop Dog about this comic

Tomb of Dracula (2004) Mini- Combines our expectations from the Snipes movies with the actual comic character

Black Panther: Bad Mutha (2006) - Hudlin basically just channels Wesley Snipes for this comic.

Crescent City Blue one-shot this one's okay, but you need to read Tomb of Dracula otherwise it is confusing

Wolverine vs Blade (2019): Great art, the story is okay

The Max series again this one is okay, not great. Better than his 2006 solo series which you should straight up avoid

He's in this Darkhold series, but it hasn't concluded yet, so I'll wait to recommend it

Blade also has a 1999 comic that is a .......interesting. The art style is very 90s. I'm not gonna recommend it off the bat, but its interesting look up a few images and see if its up your alley. He also appears sporadically in a number of titles over the years. Specifically if you want to see how Marvel makes him more like the Snipes version you need to read this Spider-Man story arc, where he gets bit by Morbius and gets the jaywalker upgrade. Although Marvel may have retconned this based on some text from the 2006 series. Its not that important end fo the day Blade is Blade.

i think Blade's got close to 500 Marvel comic appearances since the 70s, so sometimes its a treat to track down some of his random appearances. For example, he has this awesome appearance in Bendis' Ultimate Spider-Man that is a must read even tho it is brief. Mark Millar also wrote an Ultimate comics Blade story. I'm not to big on but might be worth checking out. Avoid the Curse of the Mutants story, avoid at all costs its really bad.
    The J-man

Happy New Year to Blade and fans .

Mighty Member

Defiled Blade obliterates a giants head with one sword slash. Interesting that the Darkhold didn't seem to make anyone more powerful, just made them evil. Suggests that Blade holds back his vampiric impulses. Which is consistent with his worst nightmare is him becoming the lord of vampires.

such a good anime for Blade. It pulled heavily from the movies, but it still worked. This is not the best highlight video from the anime. the middle two fight scenes are not the best Blade moments, but it's okay

In other news:
    -Michael Jai White is voicing Blade in the Midnight Suns 2k game
    -the Blade Movie development was in talks before Shang Chi
    The J-man

I hope he gets another solo mini series this year. really excellent art is needed.

I feel like they are just going to have him pop up in events or team ups. Will see what happens after the movie.

Also the videogame is out this year

ep 3 of the anime

The J-man

One of the best movie quotes of all time!
    OIP.jpg
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Hoping for a solo this year that does right by him.

Michael Jai White is voicing Blade in the midnights suns game.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

The Grandfather of the modern Marvel superhero movie. Inspiration for the Matrix.

I felt I was the only one who realized this. I tried explaining that rather similar aesthetic to several people and they looked at me like "I" was in fact, a vampire.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

I remember listening to this video years ago. One of the most interesting Breakdowns of Blade you'll ever come across

Quote Originally Posted by LukeCagefan View Post
    Hoping for a solo this year that does right by him.
    I don't think that will happen unless it's a mini. The current leadership seems to be fitting him in for teams and one-shots. Maybe once the film comes out or is closer to release will see a solo ongoing.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    Michael Jai White is voicing Blade in the midnights suns game.
    yep

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    I felt I was the only one who realized this. I tried explaining that rather similar aesthetic to several people and they looked at me like "I" was in fact, a vampire.
    Lol yes, once you learn this fact I think it's very obvious, but many people miss it.

"The techno. The moody, dark cinematography. The leather costume design. The all-powerful superhero. The martial arts and action sequences. The end scene beginning with crushing a bunch of SWAT style police officers in a building lobby."

"The Matrix" borrowed alot of little visual aspects from Blade, and expanded on them, and receives a lot of the credit. I forget the camera technique but I'm pretty sure those were the first two films to do it. The Matrix fights are more stylized than Blade so they stand a little more distinct overtime. Until the new movie came out *cough* mistake *cough* *cough*
    The J-man

Astonishing Member

You think with the MCU film getting closer to date, we might get a Blade ongoing? I know in Aaron current Avengers, they say Blade is occupied with his new job, so Namor and Valkyrie are taking his and She-hulk's place.

Mighty Member

It's just weird at this point that they haven't even tried. Writers on twitter were talking about how weird it was last year. A bunch of them were brought on specifically for a Blade book, and then Marvel cancelled it before it even came out. Whatever the reason, I've liked the world they're setting up with the vampire state and that entire dimension of vampires.

Also casting rumors are that they're bringing in Quincy Harker's vampire hunters for the Blade movie. I'm wondering if we'll get an amalgam between that group and MI:13 given the Black Knight connection.

The Vampire State Marvel is trying just doesn't work for me. The Mutant Nation works because mutants are unique. Marvel vampires are basic they are basically just zombies with pointy ears. The problem is if Marvel vampires were interesting...then they wouldn't need to do this. The only interesting vampire is Dracula and this whole storyline feels...beneath the character. Blade was great in Avengers, one of the only bright spots in an otherwise terrible run and him getting pulled off a high profile book to take place in this is...disheartening.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

the state of Vampires has been like that for a while, partly because Marvel doesn't try to keep any consistency and treats most Vampires like street thugs even the old ones. Even Dracula gets chumped out on occasion. The Legion of the Un-living has promise, even if they come off as videogame villains or secondary Shonen antagonists. Baron Blood or other named vamps aren't that impressive. Thankfully the movie team acknowledges Marvel doesn't have good current canon so they aren't following anything fromt he comics

Marvel needs to bring back that Don McGregor ultimate vampire killing sword

https://screenrant.com/blade-vampire...s-disappeared/
    The J-man