Page 10 of 35 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    To defend Falcon-almost every attempt to build him up as Falcon got derailed.

The 1998 Black Panther comic was NOT suppose to happen under Priest. Much like with Luke Cage in 1986 and the ending of Powerman & Ironfist that was suppose to lead to a Cage solo/mini.

Falcon lost his planned solo after Cap America & Falcon instead Priest got handed Black Panther.

It's not that Falcon or Blade can't be taken seriously-it's finding someone who is WILLING to allow someone to do said WORK. Including fighting those who don't want original black male characters be it comic book fans, stores or merchandisers or toxic black girl magic supporters..
    Err, what?

Priest's Captain America and Falcon came out after his Black Panther was cancelled. I think there may have been a Falcon solo planned that was dumped, but it wasn't for Black Panther.

And I'm fairly certain that the end of Power man and Iron Fist was never meant to lead into a Cage ongoing.

Priest was just salty about the series being cancelled, and so ended it with Luke on the run

Also, Blade is pretty damn old and still spends plenty of time in limbo. How certain we are he's an absent parent?

Falcon was never in the running for top 5 until his MCU appearance

I'm not going to speculate too much about Blade's child until we know more, but it doesn't help that I hear more about her outside of the comics then I did in the actual pages. That is not how you get me invested in a character these days.

Given how they've written Blade over the last 30 years it's surprising they chose this approach. Narratively, the child should be either evil/misguided or the main character. Otherwise they'd go the Luke Cage, Goku, Savage Dragon, Superman route

The fact that Marvel can't write a Blade solo is still pretty damning to me. There are countless clear examples in comics, animaiton and live action they could emulate.
    The J-man

Ultimate Member

Horror series don't really have a long life span in comics, in all fairness.

How many reboots have we gotten with Ghost Rider?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Err, what?

Priest's Captain America and Falcon came out after his Black Panther was cancelled. I think there may have been a Falcon solo planned that was dumped, but it wasn't for Black Panther.

And I'm fairly certain that the end of Power man and Iron Fist was never meant to lead into a Cage ongoing.

Priest was just salty about the series being cancelled, and so ended it with Luke on the run

Also, Blade is pretty damn old and still spends plenty of time in limbo. How certain we are he's an absent parent?

Something was suppose to follow the PM&IF run that is why the final issue was written the way it was. It was either something in Marvel Comics Present or a Cage series. Then Shooter got shown the door and things changed. We did not see Cage again until Punisher turned black.

That was part of the reason Priest was ready to bail on Marvel until Hama got him the Conan run with early Jim Lee covers.

Same with Priest's CA & Falcon run. It was suppose to be followed by a Falcon project by Priest. It did not happen. Instead we got Black Panther.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    Watchmen wasn't cancelled it was a limited series. Lovecraft Country was the one that was cancelled.

That's what I was saying, that's why cancelled was in quotation marks

Mighty Member

Horror series don't really have a long life span in comics, in all fairness.

How many reboots have we gotten with Ghost Rider?
    Which is interesting because horror comics seem to be what keep the publishers outside of Marvel/DC alive. The issue is you have to reimagine a lot of the typical tropes to work in the Marvel/DC universe. That's why I'm interested to see how this Vampire state works. They've literally created a dimension and a country full of vampires absent other heroes for Blade to work in.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Something was suppose to follow the PM&IF run that is why the final issue was written the way it was. It was either something in Marvel Comics Present or a Cage series. Then Shooter got shown the door and things changed. We did not see Cage again until Punisher turned black.

That was part of the reason Priest was ready to bail on Marvel until Hama got him the Conan run with early Jim Lee covers.

Same with Priest's CA & Falcon run. It was suppose to be followed by a Falcon project by Priest. It did not happen. Instead we got Black Panther.
    Dunno about Cage and what was going on there, but I do know that Priest's Captain America and Falcon came out AFTER his Panther was already cancelled

Are Morbius and Blade enemies?
    https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/...blade-enemies/

There’s so much untapped horror potential in super-monster movies
    https://www.polygon.com/23011709/mar...us-ghost-rider

Marvel's Blade Called Out by Spawn Actor Over Potential Use of Likeness
    https://screenrant.com/michael-jai-w...s-resemblance/

Morbius Was Originally Supposed to Be in Blade II
    https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/mor...e-in-blade-ii/
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Falcon was never in the running for top 5 until his MCU appearance.
    Before Blade received the Wesley Snipes makeover he wasn't even on the list. Falcon was ranked at three or four. Back then...

Storm was number one. X-MEN was the number one book
    Black Panther was number two.
    Falcon
    Luke Cage. Back then Luke Cage and Falcon were kind of on equal ground with Falcon being seen as having a slight edge.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Mighty Member

Looks like they're really stapling Blade to the Avengers. He's a part of the All-Out Avengers book debuting in September.

https://www.gamesradar.com/all-out-avengers/

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Before Blade received the Wesley Snipes makeover he wasn't even on the list. Falcon was ranked at three or four. Back then...

Falcon
    Luke Cage. Back then Luke Cage and Falcon were kind of on equal ground with Falcon being seen as having a slight edge.
    well yeah, Blade didn't become mainstream popular until the Spider-Man cartoon and the movie.

Falcon was nowhere near 3 or 4 in the 80s and 90s.

If you want to go back to the 70s even that is debatable. Black Panther, Storm, Luke Cage, and Black Lightning were all seen as bigger than Sam and outside of Storm all had their own series. Heck, I know plenty of dudes that repped Goliath over Sam.

If we want to be really real Captain America was not in the top 5 heroes either. Despite his iconic status from the 40s and some great Avengers runs (that have grown in popularity over time, despite not being as beloved as the X-men comics of the same time) Steve didn't get truly cool until the early 2000s. I'm not saying Falcon was Lion Man, Ralph Jackson, or Jackie Johnson. He stood amongst his peers.

Nevertheless, that duo wasn't Batman and Robin. If you wanna say he was top 10 in the day fine, but he was not sniffing the top 3 spots.

If you want to make an argument he is top 3 or top 5 today that's different. He's been in all the good Marvel movies and held his own. Hit Disney+ show. Became Captain America and was great at it, even got an awesome new costume. It's debatable, but I'd entertain that discussion today before I would about him being top 5 back then. And yes, I know Blade wasn't top 5 or even top 10 in the 70s. But the point still stands.
    The J-man

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
    Which is interesting because horror comics seem to be what keep the publishers outside of Marvel/DC alive. The issue is you have to reimagine a lot of the typical tropes to work in the Marvel/DC universe. That's why I'm interested to see how this Vampire state works. They've literally created a dimension and a country full of vampires absent other heroes for Blade to work in.
    In fairness, it's easier for readers to suspend disbelief about the danger presented when they know there's no Justice League or Avengers still out there, ready to save the day.

That also helps the stories themselves keep their tone. Blade would likely benefit from his own Max series, with isolated canon

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post

Falcon
    I would have ranked Bishop over Falcon and Luke Cage back then. That was a big time for the X-men and he was a fairly popular character back then.

In fairness, it's easier for readers to suspend disbelief about the danger presented when they know there's no Justice League or Avengers still out there, ready to save the day.
    I rarely read stories wondering why the Fantastic Four of Avengers haven't showed up. I mean maybe if it's something like an 80 foot tall behemoth rampaging around the streets of New York, I'll be curious but if Dracula is launching a huge assault in Europe, it doesn't even cross my mind.

Mighty Member

That also helps the stories themselves keep their tone. Blade would likely benefit from his own Max series, with isolated canon
    I hear you but also Daredevil is consistently one of the most successful books, you know? To your point though, I have a feeling that's what this vampire state is basically going to do. There's a sovereign nation now where the avengers and their affiliates aren't allowed to go

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I would have ranked Bishop over Falcon and Luke Cage back then. That was a big time for the X-men and he was a fairly popular character back then.
    Oh man, Bishop was such a big character back then.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest